• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PC Wiki

Would a Wiki be a relevant addition to PC?

• Yes

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • No

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2019
    I think it would be a great idea, and has multiple applications for all of the sub forums on pc. I would have a longer and more robust argument, but my first thread proposal about this was rejected, and any mention of this on other threads is considered off-topic, even on help threads, which defys intelligent discourse.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I'm pretty sure there either was, or still is for moderators. An old mod had a print screen somewhere. :x

It's probably gone now though.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I would think that if your first thread was rejected and you wanted to prove to people that it was an idea worth considering you would add extra information rather than just post a few sentences and say "oh I would give more information but..." Why not give more information so maybe we have more reason to agree with you? :<

Anyway I personally don't think we need a wiki. PC is self-sufficient in its forums and almost anything I can imagine we'd need to put into a wiki can be covered within the forums. It seems like a big effort for little gain.

Last edited:

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • We had a project to start one, but it was left after some member entered it and vandalized the beta pages, and after the clean-up it was left as too much effort for all the good it could bring.

Although there have been a couple of attempts to restart it, but... as you can see, they didn't go too far.

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2019
    I would think that if your first thread was rejected and you wanted to prove to people that it was an idea worth considering you would add extra information rather than just post a few sentences and say "oh I would give more information but..." Why not give more information so maybe we have more reason to agree with you? :<

Anyway I personally don't think we need a wiki. PC is self-sufficient in its forums and almost anything I can imagine we'd need to put into a wiki can be covered within the forums. It seems like a big effort for little gain.

I will acquiesce your point on adding more information, and give the flimsy excuse that my original post was both in irritation, and on my phone, where it is hard to make a truly strong argument. As for my reasoning, i shall make my points here:

1. Clear, concise articles on information.
    [My examples will do with the emulation and game development subforums, as that's where i spend most of my time on here and consider the notion of a wiki to be truly indispensable, but i believe that other parts of this site would/could find a use for one, if they so see fit.]

Tutorial threads, program threads, and help threads make up the majority of the subforums, and are cluttered with flame wars, questions left unanswered or answered elsewhere (and in rare occasions, better left unasked), off topic comments, and posts that are unneeded when trying to research and gather information (ie "when is the new beta?", "i luv this hack yay"). While i am biased some against such posts, i realize that in a forum, they are next to necessary. However in a wiki they are as i put them: unneeded, and clutter. A wiki would be a place for clear tutorials and the results of research, and none of the 20 pages of of bickering and trial and error that users have to sift through to get to the good information. Not to mention most wiki programs have discussion pages built in, so every page has its own pseudo-thread to discuss these things.

2. Better Organization
    Instead of 8-9 sub-forums for Emulation, and 4-5 for game development, i foresee them each having two, maybe three tops. Things like help threads would become almost a thing of the past, as well as tutorials, toolbox, and the hack showcase, if not more. Threads like research and development would be the main part of the forum, instead of threads like "i can't get my emulator to work, help!" cause there'd be a wiki page on troubleshooting your emulator. bam, done, lets move on to a relevant topic.

the wiki could provide all the functionality of these subforums, again, without the need to sift through pages and pages of user opinion and clashes. Concise articles, information pages, and troubleshooting pages would render nearly half of these forums obsolete, which from the perpesective of someone trying to create their own hack, is a godsend. They could actually get the information they need, and maybe even be able to see where the community is lacking in critical information and be able to lend a helping hand in these areas, instead of being drowned in the quagmire of endless threads of half-info, and incomplete research.

This is where we would see little effort being put in, because some (if not the majority of) info can be copy and pasted, forgoing the user comments and sidebars inbetween the "meat" of the subject, and users with more info can add their piece as they are needed to, and the community at large would see a monumental, almost staggering amount of gain for this.

if a PC wiki is a moderator-only feature, what is its purpose?

If vandalism is a concern, let only people who have created programs and who run teams and/or have hack threads be able to edit pages. In this way, the help thread could still have a place in the forum, but would be more focused on correcting emulator problems than user errors.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2019
    How would this be compete with bulbapedia? They purposefully steer clear of giving information on hacking and, and according to google, there are no Pokemon modding wikis. so who would we be offending?

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    I like this idea, actually. I don't understand how it would be insulting to anyone, we have just as much right to start one as bulbapedia and what not.

Went mentioned what happened last time: Solution, leave it to a group of staff & members to get it up and running. Like people who are for this idea, so they'll be dedicated and get it done.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I wouldn't call it a PC wiki, but a hack wiki or a fangame wiki. The problem is, most hacks afaik get abandoned partway through, so the wiki will be really unfinished and people will still be confused.

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2019
    I wouldn't call it a PC wiki, but a hack wiki or a fangame wiki. The problem is, most hacks afaik get abandoned partway through, so the wiki will be really unfinished and people will still be confused.

the wiki isn't necessarily going to be created to replace the showcase, just will have the ability to.

the wiki's main focus imho (at least for the hack part of the wiki, because the wiki as a whole doesn't have to be about just hacking), is to give tutorials and resources in a clear, concise way, that will hopefully foster a new line of completed hacks, and may result in the reviving of some dead hacks.

articles like: lists of default offsets, unlz deepscans, specific codes; these examples have dedicated threads for them, but they are a jumble and mess to read through when the reader only wants the info the thread says it provides, and none of the fluff.

the wiki, in its nature, would be in a state of unfinished-ness, because we do not have all the resources and info to hack to date, just 65-75% of it, i would think, not to mention information on added features/mods such as DNS and the 4th gen stat split in 3rd gen.
    but this state wouldn't necessarily confuse people, but i think would give them a more solid footing on which to further our community knowledge and better the quality of any new hack they would want to create.

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I would prefer if the wiki was just one about hacks and fangames. We really don't have anything else to offer that Bulbapedia doesn't have.

And as far as unfinished, you didn't understand what I was saying. Of course every wiki is 'unfinished', but I didn't mean that. I meant that the hacks themselves would be unfinished, people would spend all this time making pages for them and then the makers would give up. If you're not talking about fangames at all, and just hacking resources, then I would see it differently.

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2019
    The main focus would def be resources, not showcasing fangames, although that could be part of it, with a page with a list of hacks or something.

As for other things, maybe a PC pokedex with fakemon only or something. I agree in the way Ive presented this, this is mainly a resource wiki, but I wouldn't object if someone else could find another use for it as well.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    A resource page isn't a bad idea. It can also include indvidual pages containing info about finished and popular hacks(Shiny Gold) or something.

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2019
    The resource pages would be split up depending on base rom (except for universal programs and multirom solutions), narrowing the focus of information and each resource page, as well as each hack being listed under it's rom base, but I don't know if each hack listed (unless 100% finished) should link to anything but it's thread, unless the creator(s) created a wiki page to add more info on their hack, such as tips, an extensive list of what they changed and how, or even a walkthrough if they wanted (yes that can take the fun out of it, but it's not like they don't have walkthroughs for the original games). Creators don't have to share everything, but it would help others.

It wouldn't be for the general John and jane smith coming to PC to look at hack pages, but an insiders look on the nuts and bolts of everything, to get a better handle on making their own.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    to me, it seems more like what people want is just a really nice index or table of content type thing so they don't have to be bothered to find what they want. ;s

edit: and that blog idea would be bad, because blogs are a supporter perk, or something given to someone at the discretion of a staff member, so someone who actually has something to bring to this community through blogs. giving everyone a blog would defeat the purpose of it being a supporter perk.

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2019
    Teamfail: exactly, I don't think it has to be limited to hacks or limited at all really.

Alleycat: this isn't a 'I wanna be lazy' feature, this is a feature so that users actually *can* find what they are looking for without spending twenty minutes going through asinine posts and using a search feature that doesn't entirely work. You know, so that hackers can get to hacking, instead of hanging out on pc trying to figure out what stuff is.

Why should I have to go out of my way and spend too much time to find snippets of useful information when supposedly this website, and the emulation forum in specific, is meant to help and inform? A forum is for conversations and a wiki is for gathering and posting information in a way that is actually useful, otherwise Wikipedia would be a giant forum too.

I do agree with the blog thing though, that would be too much.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I don't have a problem with trying the wiki out again. I had completely forgotten about it when we were working on it before and filling it up with information about PC, though, and I'm quite sure I wouldn't actually use it. I think opening it up to primarily be a resource for hackers would be an excellent ideas. Perhaps we could even get a few stand-out ROM hacking members to help us develop the pages. I'm sure many would find it very helpful.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I have 3 major problems with this idea
    • PC is not Smogon
    • PC is not Bulbagarden
    • PC is not Serebii

In my honest opinion, what makes PC stand out above all the rest is that it does not try to dictate how the fandom operates, acts or even hacks. In fact the charm point about PC is the fact that even the most green and wet behind the ears ROM hackers can come here and try their ideas. Without pressure. Without being given more than the basic knowledge one needs to ROM hack. PC's wealth of support and information is in it's forum and it should always stay that way. Putting everything out there on a Wiki would be difficult, and it would require a LOT more staff oversight than most staff members here would think, and a Wiki Staff would need to be appointed and so on.

So why not just K.I.S.S and be done with it?

The biggest problem with a Wiki which is a fixed source of information is opposition of change once it's complete. Editors defend their work rabidly, and if the initial main contributors are given Admin or Stewardship rights on the Wiki, you can forget that thing ever evolving with information the way a forum can.

Lastly we all know that "If you build it they will come" is not true. If our newbies won't even read a sticky thread, what makes you think a Wiki would be read?

A General Pokemon wiki from PC will just look like a pathetic attempt to rival places like Serebii, Smogon and Bulbapedia, and therefore our "Wiki" would be limited to ROM hacking topics and that's just not enough info for a wiki in my opinion.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I hope this is an appropriate time/place to bring it up, but was the Competitive Wiki abolished? It'd be nice if that project could see the light of day, I always thought it had the potential to go somewhere. A hacking Wiki sounds fine, though, since PC is pretty much the epicenter of Rom Hacking.

Winneon

[b][color=#fb0120]しょう[/color][color=#fc6d24]が[/col
    Years
  • I don't have a problem with trying the wiki out again. I had completely forgotten about it when we were working on it before and filling it up with information about PC, though, and I'm quite sure I wouldn't actually use it. I think opening it up to primarily be a resource for hackers would be an excellent ideas. Perhaps we could even get a few stand-out ROM hacking members to help us develop the pages. I'm sure many would find it very helpful.
    I agree with this. Making a wiki might be helpful for many members, either member of PC or not. It could provide information about PC as well as Pokemon and a few other subjects, like everyone said, hacking and fan-games. I would volunteer to make the wiki members of PC agree.:)

I have 3 major problems with this idea
    • PC is not Smogon
    • PC is not Bulbagarden
    • PC is not Serebii

In my honest opinion, what makes PC stand out above all the rest is that it does not try to dictate how the fandom operates, acts or even hacks. In fact the charm point about PC is the fact that even the most green and wet behind the ears ROM hackers can come here and try their ideas. Without pressure. Without being given more than the basic knowledge one needs to ROM hack. PC's wealth of support and information is in it's forum and it should always stay that way. Putting everything out there on a Wiki would be difficult, and it would require a LOT more staff oversight than most staff members here would think, and a Wiki Staff would need to be appointed and so on.

So why not just K.I.S.S and be done with it?

The biggest problem with a Wiki which is a fixed source of information is opposition of change once it's complete. Editors defend their work rabidly, and if the initial main contributors are given Admin or Stewardship rights on the Wiki, you can forget that thing ever evolving with information the way a forum can.

Lastly we all know that "If you build it they will come" is not true. If our newbies won't even read a sticky thread, what makes you think a Wiki would be read?

A General Pokemon wiki from PC will just look like a pathetic attempt to rival places like Serebii, Smogon and Bulbapedia, and therefore our "Wiki" would be limited to ROM hacking topics and that's just not enough info for a wiki in my opinion.
    I don't think a wiki should be competition between PC, Bulbapedia, and Serebii, but a helpful resource that goes along with Serebii and Bulbapedia. As long as we keep it a resource and not some competition, it should be fine for everyone.:)

Back