• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PD-20 (A New Way To Play Pokemon)

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2007
    It's a really good idea, and very original, you can play it online or offline. Has development started yet???

Edit: What are the starter pokemon??? And speaking of pokemon, what will determine the stats of them?

Last edited:

Yoshi_Master

Yoshi Pokémon
    Years
    Wow, this project is amazing! It is going somewhere compared to some other projects at least. Some are good and some are bad... I've got to say, I am amazed at how much work you put into this so far.
    I am very interested in seeing how this project will turn out!

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2015
    Err, I'm not sure if people understnad what this is. This is supposed to be a Pokemon version of DnD right? not an actual video/computer game but the Pen and Paper version. You use your imagination to play this game not a console, handheld, or computer. You can also use grid with markers as your characters if you prefer a little more visuals(As I do).

Or maybe I mis-understood and your creating a game with D20 styled rules.

EDIT: If I am understanding this right then here's a cool program to play D20 games online.
    https://www.triaxe.co.uk/dnd/index.php?page=Online Chat

Has dice rollers, chat options, and a grid.

Last edited:

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    If I am understanding this right then here's a cool program to play D20 games online.
    https://www.triaxe.co.uk/dnd/index.php?page=Online Chat

Has dice rollers, chat options, and a grid.

Well, that's a good way to play D&D itself, but PD-20 is a bit different. PD-20 can best be described as Pokemon meets D&D, but with a few differences that are definitely major.

First of all, when it's completed you'll notice right off that this is strictly Pokemon-based. Not D&D with Pokemon in it (as in D&D with Pokemon Trainer as a Character Class). Just Pokemon.

What this means is you can enjoy Pokemon Training and Battling without the chance of any god-like characters or 20th Level Mages intervening to ask you to accomplish some divine quest that could get you killed.

Secondly, this is as far as I know, the farthest anyone's ever gotten in a project like this (ONLY as far as I know, I could be wrong). YES, it's been attempted before and even as I type this, there are a few people that are trying to do the same thing as me. Difference? They're integrating Pokemon into the D&D universe, instead of making an entirely new universe like I am. It's all preference, but I think making a new universe is easier, since you can simply change the rules as you go.

That said:

PD-20 News

Sadly, I don't have the next update quite done yet, but it's getting there. I have the Skills categorized and I started on the descriptions. But the Races and Classes are taking longer than I thought they would. I have three Races done now (Human... lol), and two Classes (Trainer and Coordinator).

I promise I will finish it though, I just have to figure some things out.

The good news is that after Races and Classes are done, I should have the charts for the Starters and Techniques (PD-20 version of Feats), or at least come close to it by then. I'm working on alot of the major things at the same time, so when things DO get finished, you'll probably see alot of updates being posted here in a relatively short period of time.

Finally, I'm going to rework the Battle Abilities to make them a bit more balanced. As anyone that's played the handheld games knows, Pokemon don't exactly start out with alot of HP, and the way I have things set up, one hit on Lv. 1 will pretty much knock a creature out. Not a good thing since death is possible in PD-20, so I'll be reworking that in the near future.

Anyway, I think that takes care of the updates for now. If I missed anything I'll add it later in a future post.

lol Oh yeah... Now I remember. I changed my title to Pokemon Dungeon Master just for kicks.

Last edited:

UzumakiShade

Pikachu Pals
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2010
    is there any updates to this? im really looking forward to it please dont tell me you gave up on it

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    I am not giving up on it. I just want to say that right away.

The reason I haven't updated in a bit is because there was one thing that was stumping me for the longest time, and it's an important part of what the next update contains (without it, the rest of the stuff in the update won't make much sense). Incidentally, I just figured out exactly what I want to do with it, so it shouldn't be too much longer.

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2008
    There's only one phrase that can describe this: pure, unaltered win. I never even thought about the possibilities of DnD style Pokemon game, but now that I've seen this, it sounds really fun. I'll be waiting for more to come out on this.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years

When you're finished, send me a copy.... y'know, I've never been all that interested in tabletop RPG's, but this one kind of piques my interest. My only problem is that I don't particularly like the idea of EVERYTHING being determined by a dice roll or GM. On the other hand, there's a heck of a lot more versatility here. I definitely want to play this at least once. XD

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    I'll respond. And I'm sorry for not having an update yet, but I'm finalizing a few things on the next batch of info. I just figured I'd keep you informed, so you knew what was going on.

Anyway, the whole idea of PD-20 isn't really to put the entire game in the hands of dice or the GM. Dice are merely used to determine damage and whether you hit or not, a factor that the computer randomly determined in the handhelds. Since there isn't a computer to randomy calculate these things in table-top, it's left to dice.

And the GM is really just there to give the scenario and make sure people play fair. Like a referee. Of course, the rules can be altered at their discretion (like if they think someone is too powerful for a certain adventure, they can temporarily ban certain Attacks or Pokemon, without hindering that character's experience). But think about this. It isn't always in the GM's best interest to cheat, change the rules, or kill off characters just because they want to. They gain nothing out of a party dying and it will only make people less likely to want to game with them, especially if they lose a character they like. Plus, anyone can be a GM. So if someone doesn't like one GM, they'll be able to find another.

Anyway, control aside because that isn't really what PD-20 is all about. Control would better describe the handheld games. The whole concept of PD-20 is to give the players as much freedom, and to make adventures as open-ended as possible. It's essentially intended so you could literally adventure in the Anime world (if you wanted to) or do something that you've seen done in the show or Fics without any limits on possibilities.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Oh, don't worry. It'll be coming. Just like what when we said, 'They're coming...' with the Ninja Turtles in their first live-action movie. It's coming.

It's basically like when they don't show the Turtles right away, but only their shadows. Then the credits start, and you see Leo's shadow jump toward the open area of the sewer and there's a freeze frame with the title of the movie inset for about ten seconds, then finally, you see them for the first time... the live-action Ninja Turtles.

Well, we're about to the point where you can just start seeing the shadows on-screen. You have an indication of what they're gonna look like, but you still don't quite know. You still haven't really seen it yet.

One thing though. Not really an update. But more of a request. If someone could either PM me, or post here the names of every Pokemon up to the Diamond/Pearl Generation in alphabetical order, that would really help. I'm on the verge of beginning the Poke-Dex for PD-20 and I figured that it'd be easier to alphabetize them, rather than number them. After all, most people are familiar with the names of most of the Pokemon, but not necessarily their numbers. I only need the names. I can take care of the information from there.

Also, as for the combat system. I have something in mind. But I have to touch up the Character/Humanoid classes and Races first, as well as the stats of the starters (which I'm using as a basis to create the overall interface). This isn't really an update, but a note on where we're at here.

Basically, Speed will play a large role here. Battles will be turn-based with the ability for your Pokemon and Trainers/Coordinators/Whatevers to move around the area that the battle is taking place in.

As for the round lengths. I think I'll do 20-segment rounds with a single D20 roll at the beginning of battle to determine Initiative (which is really the way it's done in D&D anyway). Speed is how fast your Character or Pokemon acts in a round. It's a formula that roughly equates to this:

20 - Speed = Time Left Before Turn

I know that's sort of a throw-together formula. But I've been thinking long and hard about this.

Basically, 20 is the number of segments that have to be passed before a Character or Pokemon can act. SO, say that a Level 1 Character's Speed is 10 (and it doesn't go up every single level anyway, so this is feasible in PD-20). That means, every second in PD-20 time, they advance 10 segments. Two seconds have to pass before an action can be taken. Now, what we do to determine turn order is a bit of math.

First, we determine Initiative, or where you start on the hypothetical segment ring. You take a D20 and roll it. Whatever number it lands on, you subtract that from the base 20.

So, say the same Trainer or Pokemon rolls a 12. 20-12 is 8. That means, in 8/10 of a second, he goes (since his speed is 10). So, 8/10 of a second later, he attacks. After the attack or move, he'll be at 18 once his entire second passes. He'll need 1.8 more seconds to make another move. And while this is happening, the opponent is also advancing along the same segment ring based on their speed.

So, let's say your speed is 10, and the opponent's speed is 6. It takes you two seconds to take a turn, while it takes them three and a third. And time never stops on this ring (when moving or attacking it is assumed in the world that it just takes you that long to perform the action, you get quicker when your level goes up and you get better at the action), so in this manner it isn't inconceivable that on occasion people with higher speeds might get more chances to attack or move.

In this way, Speed is a Battle Statistic of utmost importance. It determines not only how fast you act, but how many potential attacks you get per round. As your levels go up, you get faster and can attack more often. Plus, it makes rounds really fast. A good GM with basic math skills can look at the rounds and calculate who goes when, so they'll just be able to shout out, 'You, it's your turn,' or, 'Ok Shinji, you're next,' without having to debate anything with the players.

And yes, there are items and artifacts that will be able to modify this statistic, both positively and negatively. So that'll be a factor too.

Plus, rolling a natural 20 lets you immediately attack, and just start at the beginning of the ring after the attack. Basically, the whole 'strike first' message in Final Fantasy. If two or more characters or Pokemon end up at the end of the ring, get to the end of the 20 segments at the same time, they all act at the same time. And if that happens with two of your Pokemon, and you are both targeting the same enemy, you can perform a Team attack, where under the right circumstances, you can combine two or more attacks, like in the Anime.

But here's the kicker. There are attacks and moves that take time to use, adding extra segments that a character or Pokemon must pass. Do you use these attacks and risk getting cancelled by a critical, or do you just stick to the basics and go for more turns?

All this plays into the overall strategy of the PD-20 game.

One other thing. Criticals are just brutal in PD-20. They can do all sorts of things that they couldn't do before. I'll be going over them in a near-future post. I think you'll find them interesting.

As always, feedback is welcome.

Last edited:

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
    Wow... I'm not even a D-20 game fan and I'm already salivating. I can only say one thing...

FINISH IT! FINISH IT NOW, OR I SHALL FILL YOUR GUTS WITH LARD!!!!111!!!

Or you could wait, take your time, and do a good job. That would work....

zephadus

Trainer upset about # of PKMN
    Years
    I'm not sure if this is still being worked on, but I'd like to say that I think it sounds awesome!
    ...I have no idea how to play, but...
    I'll learn, just so I can play this! lol
    I hope you make good progress! ^_^

Back