• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

People blaming Pokemon Go for accidents

Years
    Okay I can't be the only one thinking this. Anyone else see some bizarre stories about someone getting hit by a car or gets in a car accident or something and then they turn around and blame Pokémon Go for it? It's crazy. For starters as far as getting hit by a car goes, it's common sense to pay attention when you're crossing the street and trying to blame the game for it when HELLO the loading screen when you open the game tells you to pay attention to your surroundings. Secondly it's extremely obvious that if you're playing Pokémon Go and driving it's a million times more your fault than the games. It's pretty obvious and everyone says if you are driving and trying to get eggs hatched to pull over off the road when you hit a pokestop or when you find a Pokémon. I mean come on people. How hard is that?

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2016
    Yeah, this irritates me to know end.

I mentioned the game in passing to someone last week, without having gotten around to saying I played it, and they immediately came out with several examples of how Pokemon Go was dangerous. She told me of someone who had gotten mugged while playing it. This man had been alone, in the dark, in what is known to be a rough, sometimes violent part of tone, holding out his phone that was at least new enough to be able to run PoGo, and the fact that he got mugged was the game's fault? No it was his fault for putting himself in a dangerous situation (okay, really it was the mugger's fault, but hopefully you get what I mean. She told me other stories of people getting hurt, all of which would have happened just as much if the people had been texting, but funnily enough, she doesn't think texting is bad.

She concluded by saying she would never let her kids play it. As far as I see it, either her kids are old enough to be allowed to play outside without her supervision, in which case they're old enough for PoGo, or they're not and should only be playing it in the garden/on the street where she can see them.

Years
    Blaming Pokemon Go for accindents is like blaming the car for you driving over the speed limit. It's the users fault if he can't pay attention to where he's going. And I think kids should play this with their parents cause then they could focus on the game and parents would be there to make sure they don't run in front of a car etc...

Majestic Electric

Raining on your parade!
    Years
    Blaming Pokemon Go for accindents is like blaming the car for you driving over the speed limit. It's the users fault if he can't pay attention to where he's going. And I think kids should play this with their parents cause then they could focus on the game and parents would be there to make sure they don't run in front of a car etc...

I agree with everything said here.

Honestly, it's not the game's fault that people aren't paying attention. Plus, right before the game loads, there's even a warning to pay attention to your surroundings, as a precaution! Honestly, blaming this game for accidents is like how, in the late 90's, people were blaming the Pokemon TCG for kids being robbed. It's ridiculous!

magicalgirlj

I liek Popplio
    Years
    That's right it not the game fault but their own. You should never look at your phone when crossing the street. When ever I cross a street I put my phone in my bag until I have safely crossed the street.

Years
    Pokemon Go has been getting a load of bad press because of these accidents when really, its mostly the person's fault. All you have to do is things we've been taught for years, look when crossing the road and don't go out late at night on your own (especially in a rough area).

Years
    If anything it's the phone's fault. Really, anything that demands your constant attention, but phones do that better than anything. People with their attention divided aren't going to be able to pay as much attention. Everyone - pedestrians and drivers - should be cautious and aware when they're moving about.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    Guys you're all forgetting, if we didn't have Pokemon GO to blame for all these accidents, then all of those wonderful Ambulance Chasing Lawyers wouldn't have such an easy way to make lots of money by blaming a set of preventable accidents by defending stupid greedy people.

Plus if the regular old cable news station doesn't talk about the most recent popular thing and how it's killing your children, then how would they be able to defend their continuously dying source of media? In their eyes, Death sells.

Oh and also we need to always remember that we need pokemon GO so that really dumb people have something to blame for their incredibly unintelligent decisions.

People need something to blame for their bad decisions and inability to blame themselves for problems of their own creation, that's much easier to do than taking responsibility for their own actions. I just hope that through all this sludge slinging, that Niantic doesn't get hit too hard for this negative media feed back.

As for myself. I play Pokemon GO with my Phone in my hand resting on the side of my hip. There is literally no reason for me to have my phone in front of my face constantly. I'll for a couple of seconds fklash the screen in front of my face to check gyms or pokestops but that literally only takes me a couple of seconds to do and then I can put the phone back at my side comfortably again. Other than that quick flash, I always stop moving in a safe spot if I am ever fighting a gym or trying to catch a pokemon. Plus my phone vibrates to let me know there is a pokemon spawn, and if that happens, I stop moving, make sure I'm in a safe spot and then catch the monster.

Honestly through all of it, I'm just trying to look after my own health, because my health is my responsibility. My health is not the responsibility of Niantic, Pokemon GO, the Media, or a Lawyer, it's my responsibility and mine only, and it's sad that other people keep feeling like their health is the responsibility of everybody except themselves. It's honestly pathetic. Plus just to add that dark, scientific, and realistic perspective... when a person is killed or put into a life endangering accident because of something stupid they did that could have been prevented, that's what I like to call "Natural Selection".

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
    Guys you're all forgetting, if we didn't have Pokemon GO to blame for all these accidents, then all of those wonderful Ambulance Chasing Lawyers wouldn't have such an easy way to make lots of money by blaming a set of preventable accidents by defending stupid greedy people.
    Haha, you have no idea how close to the truth you are with that...

It's not the game's fault if you can't put your phone down for a few minutes to safely cross the street or avoid hazards. People are always looking for a scapegoat though, so I'm not at all surprised all of these stories pop up. I mean, really, what else can Niantic even do? There's a message RIGHT THERE to be cognizant before you load up the game every time...

I will say that a very prominent area to walk and catch Pokémon in my area is the local canal walk. A canal, that I... almost went for a short swim in while playing this game. So, while accidents happen, it's no one's fault but the person holding the phone.

Shuhbooty

space and time
    Years
    The media likes to make evil of innocent things. It's annoying and honestly, stupid on their part. There are higher chances of you getting hit by a drunk driver then a PoGo driver. There are higher chances of someone killing you while texting and driving. It's not the ACTIONS of mobile app, or a phone. It's the actions of the person behind said app/phone.

If you can't retain common sense to look both ways before crossing the road, YOUR FAULT. If YOU can't drive and play PoGo, ask someone else to drive for you. If not, have common sense to PULL over! I don't understand how people can just drive and play a game. Yikes dude. Your life or the life of someone else, is not worth it.

As in regards to someone getting mugged, jumped and so forth, that's truely unfortunate and I've been in that situation while playing this game. All I can say is, use the buddy system. Facebook has many groups were people get together and play. Arm yourself with pepper spray or a tasser is you feel the need for more protection. Make sure you tell a family member where you are, and how long you expect to be out. Your safety is more important then a hype'd app.​

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    As in regards to someone getting mugged, jumped and so forth, that's truely unfortunate and I've been in that situation while playing this game. All I can say is, use the buddy system. Facebook has many groups were people get together and play. Arm yourself with pepper spray or a tasser is you feel the need for more protection. Make sure you tell a family member where you are, and how long you expect to be out. Your safety is more important then a hype'd app.​
    Oh gosh, really? Can I ask what happened? Were they waiting at a Lure Module or something?

Shuhbooty

space and time
    Years
    Oh gosh, really? Can I ask what happened? Were they waiting at a Lure Module or something?

I was dropping lures actually. I posted in my local town PoGo group on FB stating I would be at the local park to drop lures. (I had some saved up, and I met others from them dropping lures and wanted to return the favor) As I was waiting for some to show up (mind you I'm at a public park that is hosting many people) I just sat down with my backpack, keys and phone. Anyways, I was approached by a man whom seems and acted like he was homeless. He was asking for water (which I had) and I gave him 3 bottles. He was grateful, and when i thought he was going to move on he didn't. He started to touch me and rub my hands and arms when he shook my hand, and attempted to snatch my keys. I was holding my phone the whole time, and I didn't know this person. I made it clear to the men 6tf away from me playing football (with their infants and wives sitting at a bench WATCHING ALSO). Ugh... so I get to my phone in hope of him to get the idea to leave (I was scared and anxious, I didn't know what to do) and he attempted to snatch it from me. I took it back and said I had to leave, and when i did he went to another group of girls. I called the police and I thought that was the end.

Turns out after i went home, cried and calmed down. I went back out, he was sitting at a bar with two other men and laughing drinking beers. We made eye contacts and him and his party left immediately. (i was on my bike this time, and the pokestops were front facing to the local bar). I don't go out anymore because of this. I play PoGo when I'm at work or out shopping.

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
    Blaming Pokémon GO for accidents is as stupid as blaming video games for violence. It's always the player's fault, Pokémon GO even tells you to pay attention to your surroundings every time when you start it.

If you thought that those accidents were enough bad press for Pokémon GO, wait until the trading feature is added, then you'll see worse things like e.g. forced trades.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    This is history repeating itself. During the late 90's, there's been a lot of anti-Pokemon movements who believe they are a bad influence to children because of demons, evolution, animal cruelty, and gambling. Now it's 2016, and news medias are still downplaying Pokemon's popularity. This is similar to claims on how violent video games causes real life violence or how video games make you sexist towards women. None of these claims are absolutely true, and any incident is entirely the fault of the perpetrator him or herself (not the game, not the phone, and not the TV).

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
    That is truly awful! ]: I'm so sorry something like that happened to you, dear. Glad you're safe, but super unhappy that the police didn't seem to do much in the situation. That is really just upsetting.

Everyone, please just be careful on your GO adventures. Bring a friend, even in familiar places. I know all of our phones are out and in-hand. You'd think that'd be enough of a deterrent for people, but truly, protect yourselves and your kin. This is a fun game, and while maybe seeing someone like me fall into a canal would be funny, becoming victims to crime isn't. Stay safe.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    The funny thing is I don't have any problems when playing Pokemon Go. Why? Because I pay attention to everything around me and I don't play when I'm driving.

I always laugh because people are falling off cliffs or into rivers. Your phone screen must be HUGE to not be able to see that you're about to go off a cliff or see the river much less hear it.

I'm sorry but you're just plain stupid if can't pay attention to your surroundings. They need to quit blaming everything else for their stupidity.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    This is stupid! It takes about 10 seconds to cross a street I doubt a dragonite is gonna appear in that 10 seconds.

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2016
    whay are you playing and driving? sorry this is stupid! you care 3 candies or 100 EXP points more than a person's life

Years
    Sometimes I find it funny when people don't pay attention. I mean, obviously it's not funny when they walk into traffic or whatever. I saw some girl walk into a picnic bench while playing Pokemon GO and it was hilarious.
    Also, there's a fire department about a block from where I work and it happens to be a Pokemon Gym. I can see it from my office window and one time, there were these kids battling the Gym while a firetruck was pulling out. They didn't even move until they heard the firetruck honk the horn. Was funny to see them run away after that.

Back