• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

people now say ADHD is not real

ash_pikachu_98

Prince of Pokemon
Years
I would say it is real. I wouldn't be surprised if it was over diagnosed though. This is kind of random, but a while back I saw a documentary that talked about the h1n1 virus and how reported cases of people with it was grossly exaggerated. The documentary illustrated that a huge portion of the time patients weren't actually biologically tested for it at all and the determinations were essentially based on whether or not they had a certain amount of the relevant symptoms associated with h1n1. The problem highlighted was that many things can be associated with the same combination of symptoms and not be related to the virus at all. I believe in many areas of medicine it is very likely that a less expensive route it taken prior to a final decision. I don't know much about ADHD but I can't help but wonder if there is a rigorous testing process that is required and reviewed by multiple personnel before diagnosing someone. If you can be diagnosed without legitimate testing that is widely accepted in the medical community around the world then the result aren't reliable. I think a misdiagnosis can eve perpetuate issues from someone who doesn't really have ADHD since now they know there is a reason for how they are at times maybe they fight it less or dont bother as much to improve.

Empty Pot

a new beginning...
Years
I believe it's real, just misdiagnosed often.
I myself believe I have ADD (not diagnosed, but it's the only thing that makes sense), and if it's like how everyone put its, it's just the not so hyper ADHD.
It really is a challenge to stay focused on something. Sometimes Ill be lucky enough to be determined to do it, but 90% Ill usually give up and try something new.
Its never because I'm lazy, nor because I had no discipline as a child. I just can't stay focused.
Now if I picture myself like this but hyper, that just seems like a heap of trouble.
I believe it could be misdiagnosed to kids who have hyper personalities, but actually have ADD. And when the kid is prescribed the medication and they say "it changes their personality completely," then I feel they might just be ADD.

Back