• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

people says pokemon is a kids games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trinidad0s4

Trinidad0s4
Years
  • I hate when people say Pokemon are for kids they're for everybody you know why because it's not about the destination it's about the journey for 25 years Pokemon has brought me a lot of joy in my life just the exploration and storytelling alone has brought tears to my eyes and has taught me about life in general I don't watch the anime like I used to because I'm more into the games and the story is so much better in the games

Rundas45ma5h

Pokémon Collector/Digital Hobbyist
    Years
  • I'm 30 now, still playing the games and proud of it. :D

People claiming these games solely are made for kids really don't know what they're talking about.

Angel-of-Light-Kelly

Longtime fan
    Years
  • I'm 28, so sometimes people do think it's weird that I still like Pokemon. Though I think that's also because, for a while, a lot of people were supposed to let go of the stuff they liked as a kid when they grow up. There's even still a stigma against adults who like Disney and don't have kids. I don't think there's anything wrong with enjoying what others may see as a "franchise for kids," as it's not like your fun is any less legitimate than other people's fun.

Years
  • Since this is a colorful, family-oriented series with cute and cool characters some people will automatically feel it's for kids because the story/themes are often relatable and enjoyed by young fans. It's not too different for other family-oriented series, like those in Disney/Pixar - people will feel the same way about that given its target demographic. I'll probably be into Pokémon and Nintendo for my whole life lol. I grew up with it and it's hard to stop being interested at this point.

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    All of us will normally at some point decide that we're too old for videogames in general and retire (and that's something each one of us decide, whatever other people think is irrelevant). But there's no such thing as being too old for Pokémon specifically (or for Nintendo, whatever that means)... If there's people thinking that you'd be more mature for playing Fifa or Mortal Kombat than for playing Pokémon, they just know very little about videogames.

The Pokémon formula has some flexibility to adapt to different playstyles and personal prefferences. Not everyone plays these games for the same reasons or in the same way, not everyone enjoys or is into the same aspects of the gameplay. It might be indeed a bit hard for more adult gamers to enjoy the experience because of all the handholding put into the games to make them friendly for kids and brand new players, but it's still possible.

Days
    • Seen Sep 12, 2023
    There is a flow to life where people grow out of things they enjoyed in childhood. However in this day and age more and more people find themselves holding on to these aspects that made their childhood special, and for a lot of us that is the reason we are here. While there certainly is a stigma in enjoying things like pokemon into adulthood, I've found that the flak you get from people is minimum and it gets smaller every day. I feel like people of older generations just didn't have too many media aspects to hold on to, at least from their childhood. For better or worse pokemon is just one of those franchises that has the longevity to it that an individual could still call themselves a fan years after they've stopped playing the games and watching the anime, myself included!

Years
    • Seen today
    If this type of comment is made I can only assume it's from someone seething with insecurity.

Let others enjoy whatever harmless activity they want. Life is so short and fleeting. The last thing anyone needs is to be gatekept from a hobby they enjoy.

Years
  • Disney has normalized liking childhood culture, so I think the "you're too old for Pokemon" is less prevalent now.
    But I think branding like Pokemon and Disney have done a great job at creating a culture around it, so that even while you're not consuming it, you're still into it. I think older games lacked that culture brand and that's why that sentiment is out there.

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    people on the internet saying pokemon for kids and other nintendo games and adults who enjoy are rxtxrdxd manchildren?

the people on the internet are mean spirit and don't like adults playing nintendo games in public including pokemon and i see comments about pokemon is for babies and little kids and adult should not enjoy it?

Days
    • Seen Nov 22, 2023
    Pokémon, like many other video games, has a wide appeal across different age groups. The series offers a captivating storyline, engaging gameplay, and a diverse cast of characters that resonate with players of all ages. It's no surprise that Pokémon has maintained such a loyal and passionate fan base for over two decades.

The notion that Pokémon is solely for children is an outdated stereotype that fails to recognize the game's depth and appeal to mature audiences. The strategic elements, complex mechanics, and competitive nature of Pokémon have attracted a significant following among adult players.

In fact, many adults who grew up playing Pokémon continue to enjoy the series as a form of nostalgia, relaxation, and social connection. The games provide an escape from everyday life, allowing players to immerse themselves in fantastical worlds and engage in meaningful interactions with other characters.

Don't let negative comments deter you from enjoying the things you love. Pokémon is a game that can be appreciated by people of all ages, and there's no shame in playing it in public. Embrace your passions and continue to enjoy the games that bring you joy.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    the people on the internet are mean spirit and don't like adults playing nintendo games in public including pokemon and i see comments about pokemon is for babies and little kids and adult should not enjoy it?
    Merged three threads on this into one. Pinged to let you know.

Years
  • Parents basically said this! I honestly had to start getting and buying my own games when I got my 1st job anyway.

Days
  • Who cares how old you are to enjoy Pokèmon any game/movie/whatever? If you like it that's all that matters
    Heck some of people who grew up with Pokèmon since Gen 1 prolly work for Game Freak by now and snuck in those throwbacks to older characters.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    gligar13vids kind of pisses me off.

Presumes this to deal with Youtube recommendations. Cannot outright block users on Youtube. Offers a partial solution, however. Hover over a video. Should show 3 dots, as in the image below. Highlighted them with an arrow.
    Youtube Block.png
    Click that. Next, select "Don't Recommend Channel". Hopefully prevents you from seeing things that upset you. Expects other video platforms to have similar (or better) features.

Covered the question well enough ages ago, at any rate. Sees no value in regularly reviving the thread. Gives the same answer. Locks this thread as well.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • I guess it's only / mostly Gamefreak (or Nintendon't)'s fault when they say Pokémon is for kids, because unfortunately they insist on both marketing and showcasing the franchise as "limited to children", *and* designing the games to promote merchandising stuff. When, like, there's not really need to? There's nothing non-adult about desiring the life-size Arcanine plush, but unfortunately the main franchise promotion is designed to make it look that this is something that only children, or immature people, should desire.

However, once you get outside of the mainline games and the mainline anime, Pokémon has quite a wide offering for youg adults and in general for people who have had gaming and media experience for over a decade. It has an official fighting game, a Witcher / Zelda / whatever "open-world meme" game, a set of non-serial movies to collect, a trading card game where pulling off some serious Yu Gi Oh narm when sending your opponents to the Shadow Realm Lost Zone wouldn't feel out of place, and lots of stuff like that.

Heck, one could make the argument that if TPCi made a little more effort they could easily merchandise adulting stuff such as Rotom laptop (or desktop!) cases, official Mach / Aero bikes (for competition, even!) and the one thing from Pokémon that any past-young adult really needs: AR-assisted VS Seeker. Seriously, if Pokémon launched that everyone would forget the Google spy glassses in an instant.

And, let's be real, all this "childwashing" that Nintendon't does with the franchise makes zero sense when the games already show Pokédex entries suggesting quite the things, be it violence, sex, or simply "nature is not nice" (see: every G7 Mega evolution dex entry). Come on GF, Pokémon dating sim / romancing VN when? And I don't mean featuring the human females, they're overrated.

Oh well. At least we have the creative fandom. There's pretty good non-childish stuff outta there such as "One Piece but with Pokémon" or "Blade Runner but with Pokémon".

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back