• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Persinality Values

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
    I need help to calculate personality values, Bulbapedia's guide is really complicated.
    If someone could explain it to me in lamens term... I would greatly appreciate it. XP

EDIT: I mis-spelled personality in the title. =P

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
    I mean the values that determine things like what Wurmple will evolve into, unless that post has that kind of stuff... I wasn't really looking very closely. =P

Years
    Personality Values for a Pokemon are random; they cannot be influenced by the trainer. So, essentially, whatever Wurmple evolves into is random, since you don't have any control over what you chose (unlike with Tyrogue, which evolves depending on its stats). It's personality values are already pre-determined when you capture it, and you can't change them yourself; so, if you wanted Beautifly and got Dustox instead... well... too bad. =P

I could explain Bulbapedia's forumla, but it is extremely complicated, and it really doesn't help, since you have no control over it anyways. Of course, catching one of Wurmple's cocoon evolutions in the wild will save you the trouble, since you then do have control over which Pokemon you want (if that is why you're asking).

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
    Personality Values for a Pokemon are random; they cannot be influenced by the trainer. So, essentially, whatever Wurmple evolves into is random, since you don't have any control over what you chose (unlike with Tyrogue, which evolves depending on its stats). It's personality values are already pre-determined when you capture it, and you can't change them yourself; so, if you wanted Beautifly and got Dustox instead... well... too bad. =P

I could explain Bulbapedia's forumla, but it is extremely complicated, and it really doesn't help, since you have no control over it anyways. Of course, catching one of Wurmple's cocoon evolutions in the wild will save you the trouble, since you then do have control over which Pokemon you want (if that is why you're asking).

No, no, no, no...
    I know that you can't change a Pokemon's Personality Values, but if I could decipher them... I could find out what a Wurmple would evolve into without training it. =D

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    No, no, no, no...
    I know that you can't change a Pokemon's Personality Values, but if I could decipher them... I could find out what a Wurmple would evolve into without training it. =D
    My question is why are you bothering training Wurmple? Evolve it first and then train it. If you are worried about EVs, either use Rare Candy or feed it the EV-reducing berries in Emerald.

Elys

RPG Love Fan!
    Years
    Hello! I'm new over here! And believe me, I think I can help with the Wurmple's problem!

Firts of all: Wurmple's evolution IS NOT RANDOM! It's all about his/her Personality Value!

If it personality is less than 5 then, Wurmple will evolve to Silcoon, if is more than 5, then, Cascoon.

But I've trained a few Wurmples and I can say for sure which personality could evolve in the cocoon Pokemon you could want!

On more thing: The Wurmples I always train are females! The sex is an important thing too, believe me.

Anyways: Adamant, Bold, Brave, Kind, Quiet, Sassy and Naughty are some of the personality wich ones a female Wurmple will evolve to Silcoon, I don't know if males too, because I remember very well that one time, I caught a male Kind Wurmple, and it evolve to Cascoon =P!
    I don't know if the other personalities I said will be exactly like this one.

I hope I helped a little, I will keep breading Wurmples to see wich one of them evolve in Cascoon or Silcoon!

See ya!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2010
    What game are you playing? Wurmple evolves into silcoon during the day, and cascoon at night.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    That is 100% false. What Elys has alluded to is almost correct. There is an in-game calculation that is determined the first time you encounter a Pokemon (either by catching it in the wild or by hatching an egg). This is the Personality Value and it is a 32-bit integer of binary code (0 and 1s). Wurmple's evolution is based on the system taking the last 16 digits of the integer, placing it into a calculation (as simple as I can explain it), and then if the remainder is greater than or equal to 5 it will become a Cascoon, otherwise it is a Silcoon.

The time of day or its nature has NO BEARING WHATSOEVER on its evolution. Just use the Rare Candy trick and be done with it.

EDIT: Sorry, PC froze and ended up hitting enter twice.

That is 100% false. What Elys has alluded to is almost correct. There is an in-game calculation that is included in the Personality Value that determines the evolution of Wurmple. Outside of cheating, you have little control over the evolution. Just use the Rare Candy trick and be done with it.

Last edited:

Elys

RPG Love Fan!
    Years
    Cactus Twist, the Day/Night thing only works on Eevee, and maybe is not a good example, but even in the anime you can see it work. In the anime, Jessie of the Team Rocket cautgh a quiet wurmple and May a naugthy one (if see you them, the personality is pretty obvious) and, during the day, both Wurmples evolved at the same time, Jessie's Wurmple into Cascoon, and May's into Silcoon.

And, well, I started the game a bunch of times and I could say that the personality value are the same, Adamant Female Wurmple will ALWAYS evolve to Silcoon, no matter the time or the number of the trainer card, it's something that is general and can not be changed.

If you wanna a Silcoon, catch the wurmples I said in the last post of mine and wou will ge it, Kevmista.

And, well, if you are in a hurry, find some rare candy or catch the evolved form in the Petalburg Forest.

By the way, the personality value of Wurmple is a nature rule that works in all Pokemon Games, not just R/S/E.

Last edited:

groudonlover

Mateus readies Hellfire...
    Years
    In D/P/Pt: Day/Night evo
    In R/S/E/FR/LG: Some hidden value, many theories about which...

And wurmple grow so fast so they evolve after E4-Sidney...
    So, catch a wurmple, give it the Exp. Share and do Sidney WITHOUT SAVING! and you will either have a Cascoon or Silicoon, and if it is what you wanted, continue E4, if not, reset([START] + [SELECT] + (A) + (B)) and try another...

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    And, well, I started the game a bunch of times and I could say that the personality value are the same, Adamant Female Wurmple will ALWAYS evolve to Silcoon, no matter the time or the number of the trainer card, it's something that is general and can not be changed.
    I am going to put your theory to the test. I am going to breed a bunch of female Adamant Wurmple and will let you know if I get a Cascoon. The nature and gender is part of the Personality Value of a Pokemon, but I contend that it is not the decisive factor. I will let you know.

In R/S/E/FR/LG: Some hidden value, many theories about which...

And wurmple grow so fast so they evolve after E4-Sidney...
    So, catch a wurmple, give it the Exp. Share and do Sidney WITHOUT SAVING! and you will either have a Cascoon or Silicoon, and if it is what you wanted, continue E4, if not, reset([START] + [SELECT] + (A) + (B)) and try another...
    You know you can do that exact same thing with Rare Candy right? Feed it until it evolves, if it isn't what you wanted reset and catch a new one and repeat. Quite simple without even having to battle.

Elys

RPG Love Fan!
    Years

Oh, really? Geez I didn't know that, I thougth Wurmple's evolution has the same "system" in every game. But, that's a good thing to know. I guess Nintendo decided to make its evolution less complicated than previus games.

By the way, if I catch a Wurmple in -don't remember name- forest, when you have to go with a girl the first time you enter, in wich level Wurmple will evolve?
    I know its evolve in the level 7, but there the Wurmples are around level 10 and that changes the thing a little, or am I wrong? I prefer catch it in that forest than in the tree with honey, is more easy and fast.

I am going to put your theory to the test. I am going to breed a bunch of female Adamant Wurmple and will let you know if I get a Cascoon. The nature and gender is part of the Personality Value of a Pokemon, but I contend that it is not the decisive factor. I will let you know.

I think Sassy female ones too. I remember. At least, Adamant personality always gave me a Silcoon. But, in the end, if Nintendo really changed it for Day/Night evolution, is for the best. Is very boring and silly catch a bunch of Wurmples only because you don't get the cocoon Pokemon you're looking for after training them or wasting Rare Candies XP!

And yes, thank you, let me know if my theory is wrong ;)!

Last edited:

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Once again, you don't have to waste any Rare Candy. Feed the Wurmple, watch it evolve, turn off the game. No lost candies and you know exactly what kind of Wurmple you got.

BTW - Been too busy to bother testing the thoery. Will find time Saturday or have my son assist me. Emerald is such a great game for breeding. Best game they have ever put out.

Back