• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Persona Series

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2017
    Hello everyone,

Well I looked through the two pages and I didn't see a thread about this series and I was kinda curious if there were any Persona Series fans here.

For me I sadly never played Persona 1 or Persona 2, my experience with the Persona series started with Persona 3 Portable and from there I became a fan. I ended up getting Persona 4 not long after than. Then I have also played Persona 4 Arena and Persona 4 Arena Ultimax. One of the games that I have on my to play list is Persona 4: Dancing All Night Long. I started to play the game but had to put it on hold.

I can't wait for Persona 5 to be released. From the information that has been released so far it looks like a interesting game.

If I had to pick my favorite characters:

Persona 3 Portable: Akihiko, Shinjiro,
    Persona 4: Yu, Yosuke, Nanako

Favorite Personas:

Suzaku & Phoenix
    Byakko
    Kohryu
    Izanagi-no-Okami

So what about everyone else? Do you have a particular favorite character from the Persona Series? Maybe a favorite or memorable moment when playing the games? Favorite Personas? Anything you would like to expect to come in the future of the series?

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Oh look, it's Meloetta's favorite series!

Meloetta's favorite series!

Mel- hang on.

God, I just love Persona!

Especially Yosuke! Oh, I just want to bask in Yuri Lowenthal's voice all day long!
    I mean, the quote doesn't lie. The lengths of her fandom actually scares me.

---

Speaking of Persona, started with 4 on the PS2 back in 2008 and loved it (after I stopped being bad). I fought a long and arduous battle to liking 3 any sort of way after the fact, but thanks to perseverance, FeMC best SLs/character, and looooots of Orpheus stat cheese, I ended up beating Portable at the start of last Summer. I liked it- wouldn't put it close to my love for 4 and Golden, but I enjoyed it. Was incredibly surprised when I actually started to like Junpei, even more when I found Fuuka to be one of my favorite characters, even though she was a big part of why I stopped playing FES.

As for P2 and P1, started playing those last year as well. P2's actually very fun and has a lot of systems that are only unique to it and its sequel. Honestly wished I could've played it more, but when I realized it had pretty close ties to P1 I went back to play that. The PSP version, specifically. For a time I enjoyed it, until I realized that P1 just really wasn't a good game. It had some interesting ideas and the cutscenes added to the portable release look great, but that game is long as hell and its battle system is frustrating without ever really being satisfying and it only gets moreso as time goes on. Surprised that it managed to break through my Turn-Based Genre Fatigue, though, and I'm legitimately interested in the story, but...I don't think I can continue with P1 after I saw the number of cutscenes that are still available after all the time I played. Dream of Butterfly is my favorite Persona opening, though; absolutely fantastic, and Mark's an absolute joy.

Other than that, PQ's Etrian Odyssey, so I like it some though haven't really devoted much time to it. Maze of Life is fantastic.

Arena. Fun little titles, here. I'm not too into traditional fighters, but they had more story and I wanted it. For the original, it was absolutely worth it. Labrys' story was probably one of the most compelling in the entire series, and Elizabeth's depiction in this game instantly made her my favorite Persona character. Bar no one, I love her so goddamn much in this.

Then, there's Ultimax. It's music selection (albeit mostly DLC) is kickass, the gameplay is handily an improvement over the original, a bunch more characters, shadow versions, a lot more to do in general- better game in most respects. Except story. Oh God. I like some of the ideas, like what they did with Rise, as well as Junpei's design, but Sho isn't a particularly interesting villain and the climax is...underwhelming. Also, a particularly major plotpoint for 3 was spoiled for me, which made me go back to finish 3 (Portable), but that's neither here nor there. It had some nice cutscenes and it didn't feel forced, but I can't good and well say that it stands up to its predecessor's story in terms of comedy or substance. So it's a mixed bag for me.

/longpost

pkmin3033

Oh look, it's Meloetta's favorite series!

Meloetta's favorite series!

Mel- hang on.

I mean, the quote doesn't lie. The lengths of her fandom actually scares me.
    Persona Series

You're just envious of the depth of my feelings for the series, that's all. Yeah, that must be it...must be...

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Well, it's because solo game threads die quickly =D
    Yea, we have some P-fans here (including Melo xDDDD). I would say it is obvious, but I changed my avy so... no longer, I guess =D

I played everything apart from the bad decision called Persona Q. Still need to finish P1 and P2 completely, though.

As for favorites, from P3 apart from Minato, Aigis and Yukari best girls.

And P4 is even more obvious considering who voices who =D Obviously Marie best Persona girl ever and Rise 2nd =D

My favorite Persona is Yamata-no-Orochi. I always have that guy as my main Persona, usually maxed with complete element nullification. Fun times.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2016
    Here is the deal. "Digital Devil Saga" have an online game to this as well. That is what Persona is. Digital Devil in regular lame RPG format. Take "Golden Sun" which is just a cheap version of Shining Force series. Every played them on the original Genesis? If not then you should really checkout arc because that is where Golden Sun gets it' groove from.

Otherwise I am playing the PS2 version of what I believe is 4 ( the one that replaces the moon system with an weather system ) and 3 ( the one where he is at at the dorm???? school ).

Personally I already know these games from the Digital Devil series. So it is not that much different. I advise everybody to play from the Famicom games to the SNES to the PSX/Saturn games first.

Another thing. Persona also features some cast from Linda3. Linda 3 had this Noahs Arc theme going on. The Saturn game had mature teenager sprites and artwork from "Kite/Mezzo" ( which was the best of it's time during the 1990's ). However Linda 3 is it's own game as well. I am playing the PCE version of it, which is the rightful original.

Again the thing is that Persona is actually interesting. However in my opinion it is basic.

Another problem is the short stories Digital Devil is based off as well ( which is still being written ). So your only getting part of the picture.

Shhwonk

always with the games, etc.
    Years
  • Unfortunately, I have only played Persona 4. I really loved it--the characters were well-written and well-voiced, I loved the slice of life anime flavour it had, and it was overall a really solid RPG. BUT I got angry at it and quit when I got to an end-dungeon boss, beat it, then continued to the next section without saving and died immediately to an overpowered enemy. I was maybe 15 hours into it. I don't understand why a lot of RPGs don't let you save anywhere you want... But anyway, I will come back to P4. Someday.

Persona has always been something I've been really wanting to play from the start of the series. It looks like there are a lot of solid games that span many eras and genres. Maybe you should turn this into a "Megami Tensei Series" thread, considering it's the umbrella term for the whole series. Shin Megami Tensei IV is a really fun game.

By the way, Persona 5 looks REALLY GOOD!!

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
  • Never really got into P1 - P2.
    It was 2009 when I got into Persona, But I like Persona 3, and 4.
    Welllll...kind of. I like the handheld ports of the game, Persona 3 Portable, and Persona 4 Golden. I had a difficult time with P4 on Ps2 after playing Persona 3 Portable.
    But it is one of my favorite game series. I just never got into the Persona 1, Persona 2 Eternal Punishment and Innocent Sin.
    I can't wait until Persona 5. I'm really hyped up for it!

My favorite character is Marie (Golden), and Yukari (P3/P3F/P3P)

I also need to play Persona Q.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • and Yukari (P3/P3F/P3P)
    Did you ever play The Answer on Persona 3 FES? This is important.

---

Oh, favorite characters? Lessee...Kanji. Kanji and Elizabeth are pretty much tied for favorites. Elizabeth for reasons I mentioned above and Kanji because he's just a damn well developed character and is consistently fun. Shame I always went Chie+Yukiko+Yosuke, 'cause otherwise I would've brought him along.

Last edited:

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Marie (Golden)
    This guy knows! =D

Shame I always went Chie+Yukiko+Yosuke,
    Well, the game made this party pretty forced =D
    You get all four after the first dungeon, they have all 4 elements (another reason why Kanji was pointless since Yu covers Electricity element) and you fight with them against the strongest bosses of the game =D
    In fact, it's not only the best party, it's pretty much the only usable.

ソラ

Years

• This guy knows! =D

Yep, she is my favorite, I thought she was adorable especially with her poems. Haha

Did you ever play The Answer on Persona 3 FES? This is important.

Nope. I owned FES, but I had to sell it. So never really had the chance to do it. I know I can get it on PSN. Which I plan to in the future.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Nope. I owned FES, but I had to sell it. So never really had the chance to do it. I know I can get it on PSN. Which I plan to in the future.
    Oh, that explains things.

Well, if you do ever play it...uh...keep an open mind. And brace yourself.

Also, I'd recommend playing at least Persona 4 Arena (the original). I say this alot (and I said it above), but Labrys' story alone makes the game worth it, plus Elizabeth is just enjoyable as hell there. Or you could get Ultimax and buy the story for the original that way, but I definitely recommend checking it out if you haven't.

ソラ

Years
  • Oh, that explains things.

Well, if you do ever play it...uh...keep an open mind. And brace yourself.

Also, I'd recommend playing at least Persona 4 Arena (the original). I say this alot (and I said it above), but Labrys' story alone makes the game worth it, plus Elizabeth is just enjoyable as hell there. Or you could get Ultimax and buy the story for the original that way, but I definitely recommend checking it out if you haven't.

Yeah. I know I do plan on playing it some time in the future, I did have P4A, but the thing is, fighting isn't my genre, I also sold that game, I needed the cash. The game was fun, but I'm not a fighter gamer. I'm more into RPG and such.

Also, nearly 3 years ago. I met Vic Mignogna I got him to sign my Persona 3 Portable case, and FMA Brotherhood Collection Volume 1.

My PSP stopped working, I rebought the game on my Vita, I never sold the game, and I wanted to keep it, and I got it signed and I'm never gonna let that game out of my collection, it's one of my favorite.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • My first Persona experience was 3 which fortunately was a decent start for anyone who wants to become a fan. 1 and 2 are really rare and would take a while to find a decent copy. Then obviously i followed up with 4 because i loved the games so much.

There's something about Persona that i really like. Its basically one of those games that in my opinion are a work of art in both its execution and presentation. However, I can't say much about the gameplay. The gameplay in Persona 3 and 4 aren't exactly like as heavily detailed or meaty as that of other JPRGs which may be discouraging from those who came from Final Fantasy (like most JRPG plebs are). Its the story and presentation that gets people going. If the story in Persona 3 & 4 were not any good for me, i would have never picked up any of the games ever.

What's funny for me is that ever since they released Persona Arena, for some reason my view of the series have changed. I don't know if its for the better but Persona Arena is still a rather fun fighting game with a decent storyline to boot. Don't even ask me about Dancing All Night though since i still bought it FOR TEH LULZ and some of my friends wanted to play it.

Persona 3 favorite characters: Yukari, Mitsuru, Akihiko, Shinjiro
    Persona 4 favorite characters: Yukiko, Naoto, P4 Guy, Chie, Kanji

If any of the Persona 3 & 4 characters were real people and i definitely would want to make friends with (and I also assume they are now at their 20s basing from Persona Arena):

Yukari, Yukiko, Akihiko, Kanji, Yu Narukami, Naoto, Chie, and obviously Koromaru

Weirldly enough, my End Game party in Persona Q was something like.. On P4 Side: P4 Guy, Yukari, Zen, Mitsuru, and Chie

Funny thing about Persona Q though.. playing on the Persona 4 Side is a lot easier than playing on the P3 Side since you have a MC that's actually immune to Dark based Insta kills that are quite annoying especially on certain high level enemies and obviously those F.O.E's

Dang I had a lot to say? Well obviously. I even went on to try getting a copy of Persona 2 just to make sure that I'm indeed a fan and not just some guy who rode on the P3-P4 train. Right now asking for my friend's copy of P2. Persona 1 is so damn rare its like a treasure hunt though.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • (and I also assume they are now at their 20s basing from Persona Arena):
    Only P3 cast, though. P4 cast is still in their late teens.
    Arena storyline is set between P4 ending and P4G epilogue. Yu's classmates and he are in 3rd year of high school and the "1st" year team is in their 2nd year.

P3 cast (apart from Minato who is immortal by now) is in their university years.

Back