• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Personal Rules to making pokemon

sonoskay

Cain
    Years
    Me and a friend of mine have discussed what Pokemon we like and don't like, whats good and bad about them, and Pokemon we just loath due to, Design, background, and power/moves..

And this topic topic seems to come up a lot among boards and other palaces...

Pokemon who are inanimate objects.. Pokemon like chandelur, Banette, Cryogonal, magnamite and Vanilite seem to be under heavy fire every since Black/white came out..
    Some people seem to hate them others don't mind. But i have have come up with a simple rule for Pokemon that my friends tend to agree with, but i wanted to see what a larger community has to say about it over all.

"If an Inanimate object has strong connections to the supernatural, or to mother nature itself then it will make a suitable Pokemon, but no man made object can be used as a Pokemon unless it can be adequately explained by technology "

And personally.. The only Pokemon i can think of that doesnt fit this rule... Is vanillite... What business does an ice cream cone have being a Pokemon?

I post because maybe im just biased but does the rule above seem like a solid rule to go by?

pokefan648

< I ate your giant meatball :3
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2014
    just like vanillite i was wondering the same thing about chimecho and litwick. what do wind chimes and candles have to do with pokemon? but we all might say every pokemon is kind of strange and very few look like real animals. just think of others like jigglypuff, who is rather odd to be a balloon, but still alot of people like jigglypuff. it just depends on all pokemon fans' opinions. and they call weedle hairy bug, but he has no hair to be seen! so it depends on different opinions. and just look at my avatar, i made that fakemon and named him telivon because hes a tv, and to some a tv pokemon is rather strange too.

sonoskay

Cain
    Years
    just like vanillite i was wondering the same thing about chimecho and litwick. what do wind chimes and candles have to do with pokemon? but we all might say every pokemon is kind of strange and very few look like real animals. just think of others like jigglypuff, who is rather odd to be a balloon, but still alot of people like jigglypuff. it just depends on all pokemon fans' opinions. and they call weedle hairy bug, but he has no hair to be seen! so it depends on different opinions. and just look at my avatar, i made that fakemon and named him telivon because hes a tv, and to some a tv pokemon is rather strange too.

While like you siad its all down to opion but.. Candles some culters sometimes signify the loss of life. you light a candle whens omeone dies to honnor them. thus having connetoins to ghosts.. thus for me atleast making it a valid choice for a pokemon... and in japan (i think) you sometimes make paper boats and light candles and put them on the boats and let them said off in a river... supposed to guide the spirits to the spirit world.. Thus making that connection again. and chimecho is also part squirl or some crap so its sorta an animal too. So to me its justified.

pokefan648

< I ate your giant meatball :3
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2014
    i see your point about lit wick that candles mean that in japan i didnt know that and also chimecho is a very strange pokemon. im only good with the 1st gen and only a little of the 2nd and 3rd gen so i dont know much about chimecho. i can say that there are some strange pokemon and some dont make sense to me either. i looked at a picture of chandlure and it looked like a chandeleer (idk how spell that lol) from a haunted house! now i see that chandlure shouldnt be a pokemon. and dont forget castffrom hes just wierd with those (well you know). O___o

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    In my opinion, pokémon evolve faster than animals do (not evolve as in charmander -> charmeleon, but I mean into new species) so pokémon could have evolved to resemble man-made items in order to adapt and survive in a modern world. Take Voltorb for example. They could scare wild pokémon away by looking like pokéballs of humans who would want to battle or capture them. And Chandelure looks like a chandelier in order to be able to hide well and thus draw energy from victims more effectively.

Another theory I could go with, for Vanillite and some others, is that the pokémon came before the item. One day, a human got an idea to make frozen cream in different flavors and have it look like the pokémon Vanillite.

I think the first theory is more plausible for some pokémon, while the second might hold for some. I think your rule sounds okay but I wouldn't say it's universally applicable to all inanimate-objects pokémon maybe. I haven't thought about them all though.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    It pains me how uninformed most people are about the Vanillite family. I'm thinking of starting a TV show to inform you young'ns. Anyway...

I think creating rules on how Pokemon should be made is absurd. Think of Rule 34. It could be modified to hold true for Pokemon: if it exists, there will be Pokemon of it. However, I don't think the Pokemon creators are dumb enough to start making igneous rock Pokemon called Granitinum and Basaltinum; we shouldn't underestimate them like that. They surprised us with Gen 5, did they not?

ImBlue

dabbadeedabadai
    Years
    The thing with rules is that everyone will have their own set. It's a lot easier just to accept what GameFreak has created as official, otherwise you get people who define Pokemon as only those who were created in the 90's. And we all know that doesn't ever end well.

sonoskay

Cain
    Years
    It pains me how uninformed most people are about the Vanillite family. I'm thinking of starting a TV show to inform you young'ns. Anyway...

I think creating rules on how Pokemon should be made is absurd. Think of Rule 34. It could be modified to hold true for Pokemon: if it exists, there will be Pokemon of it. However, I don't think the Pokemon creators are dumb enough to start making igneous rock Pokemon called Granitinum and Basaltinum; we shouldn't underestimate them like that. They surprised us with Gen 5, did they not?
    well Please tell us. I would like to hear what you have to say about Vanillite.

I suppose i can accept that there shouldn't be any limitations on what a Pokemon should or shouldn't be.. but still ice cream seems... out there, and i swear to god if i see Postie the light post Pokemon, Someone in game freak will need to answer for the atrocity , Vrhoomy the car, Guardoor. the Door, or stoppy the stop sign. can anyone really abide by these human-made inanimate objects?

Thergox

Average Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2014

Pardon me, but I believe this is about discussion. You may have a problem with rules, but just because anybody places these things out there doesn't mean they want to see it forced upon the creators as they deem fit. This is just a thread for entertainment and intelligent conversation, not putting down ideas.

That said, I think that we're not discussing just the personal rules of Sonoskay but any others that we may have ourselves.

Back