• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Phone rooting and custom Roms.

kendypls

Currently playing: Expert Emerald (Casual)
Years
    • UK
    • Seen Feb 10, 2020
    Hi guys,

Just wondered if any of you have any experience with rooting phones?

If so...

what phones have you rooted?
    what's your favourite Rom to date? and why?
    Have you ever had one go wrong? Did you manage to fix it?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For me:

Phones I've rooted: Mainly Samsungs; J5, GS3, GS5, Note 2, Note 4. and HTC one and M8.
    My favourite rom to date has to be: Cyanogenmod, there is a reason it's popular. Full root access, decent battery life, Many versions and variations, the default apps are much better than the stock ones too.
    Have I ever had one go wrong? YES! The J5 is sat next to me right now and won't boot, says the custom binary is blocked by FRP. Kies won't recognise the device, a friend managed to brick it and asked if I could try and fix. any ideas welcomed. :D

Xertified

Shtposting is my life.
    Years
  • What phones have you rooted?

In iOS is Jailbreak right? Then, iPad2 and iPhone 5S.

My favourite ROM to date has to be

Probably CydiaMainRepo.

Yes, in my iPad 2, I accidentaly used iOS 8.2 Jailbreak Tool instead of iOS 7.1.1 Jailbreak Tool. I manage to fix it by resotring it.

kendypls

Currently playing: Expert Emerald (Casual)
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Feb 10, 2020
    What phones have you rooted?

In iOS is Jailbreak right? Then, iPad2 and iPhone 5S.

My favourite ROM to date has to be

Probably CydiaMainRepo.

Yes, in my iPad 2, I accidentaly used iOS 8.2 Jailbreak Tool instead of iOS 7.1.1 Jailbreak Tool. I manage to fix it by resotring it.

Jailbreak counts! Definitely.
    Why CydiaMainRepo? What does it do that makes it your favourite?

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
    Years
    HTC desire C
    any android I buy in the future
    Favourite ROM:
    Cyanogenmod. It's just great.

Anything go wrong?
    For 2 weeks the desire wouldn't boot, but then I got Philz touch onto it and it worked fine.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
    My Motorola Droid 3 and 4. Then I don't think I did my X first gen, if it was possible. Probably won't root again, its getting kinda tough on these new Motorola phones, at-least without unlocking the bootloader.
    What's your favorite Rom to date? and why?
    Eh, Probably the main Cyna one. But I haven't rooted or flashed in years.
    One of my Droids got into a bootloop, several times I think. That was fun.

Years
  • HTC G1 (no longer have), Samsung Captivate (no longer have), LG thrill 4G (what the at&t version of optimus 3D is called) (charging circuit failure on this), LG Optimus L9 (piece of crap) (i think i rooted this one) LG Optimus F6 (rooted and also piece of junk). I dont think i will ever root my LG G stylo since then i would lose android pay

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    what phones have you rooted?
    Xiaomi Redmi Note 2

I think version 6 because it was already rooted with the flash

Before flashing I attempt to root it with just kingoroot and it make the phone not functioning, but flashing it fix it

ARKA9

The evolved police dog.
    Years

Many of them actually. Here's some i remember...
    Micromax canvas tab p650
    Micromax Fire
    Micromax Yu Yureka
    Micromax canvas tab
    Samsung galaxy mini
    Samsung galaxy duos
    Motorola MotoG

... dont remember the rest.

What's your favourite ROM to date and why?
    Cyanogenmod and Ressuruction Remix. Use them and you will fall in love with these. Super efficient. Customisable. Badass.

Yes. I was going to flash cynogenmod on samsung galaxy mini. I wiped the dalvik and proceeded to the flash. Just got stuck in midway of the installation and it aborted. Now i could not open my stock rom too. And yes, i was unable to even enter the recovery mode. Tried to enter download mode but in vain. Finally after two days, the download mode poped up while i was trying some key-press pattern. I flashed the stock rom and BOOM. Problem solved.

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
  • what phones have you rooted?
    Xiaomi Redmi Note 2

I think version 6 because it was already rooted with the flash

Before flashing I attempt to root it with just kingoroot and it make the phone not functioning, but flashing it fix it

Ooh, I have a Redmi Note 2 as well!

Mine is rooted as well, but still running stock rom, or at least the EU version of it, but I'm considering putting Cyanogenmod on it just because :)

My Galaxy S2 that I had previously had custom roms and kernels, and I pretty much switched every month. That was quite fun, except when I got into bootloops on days where I was supposed to use my phone for other stuff. I also lost my radio firmware in a wrong flash once and had to find the right one by trial and error. That was fun :P

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    I think I've had my Xiaomi Redmi 1S and Samsung Galaxy J5 rooted.

What's your favourite Rom to date? and why?
    I've been taking a liking to MIUI6 OS due to its nice GUI and having neat features.

I think I have once, even though it has more to do with flashing some stuffs while I was tinkering with CPU optimizations when using Redmi 1S. At least I reflashed the OS that the phone is back in action.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I've considered updating to MIUI 5 I think it was, but I'm not entirely convinced, plus I'd have to wipe and whatnot ._. I'm also not sure if it'd be all in English or if there'd be parts of the ROM that have untranslated dialog.

Well, I think MIUI ROM is already fully translated to English, and you could select English language whenever you wanted to. It's to be noted that there's China and Global version, which have notable differences, like how China version have apps aimed to Chinese market, how Global version have Google apps that China version didn't include for reasons, and how Global version have more languages besides of English and Simplified/Traditional Chinese.

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
  • I just installed Cyanogenmod on my Redmi Note 2, and I must say, I'm quite happy with it. The interface is much cleaner now that it it consistently stock Android, and not only in the launcher as I had it before, with the Material UI goodness that it brings. It also uses far more RAM, and I have less problems with apps reloading, which is quite nice. Battery life has taken somewhat of a hit though, and where before I would pretty much always be over 60% at the end of the day, I have dropped below 50% yesterday. I might try to install Greenify and see if that can improve the situation, though I'm not really complaining as long as it lasts me through a full day. Does anyone else have experience with Greenify?

Years
  • Cyanogenmod is definitely a good ROM to have if you want a basic custom ROM. It's also very efficient with battery usage and I'd easily recommend its usage to anyone.

Lucario

Years
  • I just ordered a doogee X5, going to root that, install KISS launcher, and remove the stock bloatware (and the stock launcher)

Lucario

Years
  • Sadly, no Cyanogenmod for said doogee X5, so I'll just customise the stock rom until it's unrecognisable, and install xposed.

Back