• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Photobucket charges sudden fee to embed photos.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses discord for image hosting xD I'm pretty sure most of my past signatures are still on discord somewhere.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • And why do you have a strong dislike?

If you can't explain why, then I fail to see the purpose of even having one.

I just hate the setup of the website. I find it to be unbearable to use because of the option to just use it willy-nilly w/o an account. Feel unsafe to me. Good enough answer for you?

Years
  • I just hate the setup of the website. I find it to be unbearable to use because of the option to just use it willy-nilly w/o an account. Feel unsafe to me. Good enough answer for you?
    Yeah, I guess. However, what's wrong with the fact that you don't need to register an account? I actually find that to be convenient to people who don't want to have accounts everywhere just so they could link an image.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Personally I find it odd because usually images are supposed to be shared, there would be no point to upload the image if they couldn't freely share it in the first place, unless if they wanted their uploads to be private by choice. Plus, I think other hosting site like Imgur, in which I hosted some images at, are more prevalent than Photobucket nowadays, so this is a bad move on the latter's part.

Plus, I have visited some sites which have Photobucket as the image hoster and it didn't display well at all after that policy :(

Last edited:

Guest123_x1

I had terminated/deleted my Photobucket account a few months ago, long before this last-minute decision by them to charge for hotlinking.

Part of me believes Photobucket made this decision to take advantage of changes within the economy as of late, especially with Donald Trump being President and George Soros/Google/Amazon/Facebook's 'net neutrality' rules (that completely exempt web portals such as those I mentioned from its regulations) being scrapped.

The fact that this change came so suddenly and with little notice and virtually no explanation as to why probably is a sign that something is up with the company financially. (Perhaps allowing hot-linking of images without subscription fees put a significant strain on the company's finances and the company's financial backers are forcing this change on them?)

Years
  • Part of me believes Photobucket made this decision to take advantage of changes within the economy as of late, especially with Donald Trump being President and George Soros/Google/Amazon/Facebook's 'net neutrality' rules (that completely exempt web portals such as those I mentioned from its regulations) being scrapped.
    I really doubt politics had anything to do with this change. Yes, Photobucket was probably losing money as a company, but hotlinking images to other sites does consume bandwidth on their end, and they may have not had the finances to easily upgrade their bandwidth availability to continue allowed support for .

Now do I still think the $400 annual fee is ransom? Absolutely. Had they maybe charged $20/year for the same service, there'd likely be nowhere near as many complaints about this I'm sure.

Years
  • I used to use it to host images but not really any more, haven't for years.
    Imgur for me, or I just upload it to tumblr if its a graphic

Years
  • This is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. Many people, myself included, already stopped using Photobucket in favor of Imgur years ago since it's so clunky and laggy. I guess they wanted to kill off their dwindling userbase even more. Now I'm off fixing any broken Photobucket links around the sites I use. Psh.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    This is complete and utter crap. I've been using Photobucket for almost 15 years. So far as of right now...all of my stuff still works but I am in the process as of now moving my stuff over to Imgur. Though they aren't letting me download any of my stuff so I have to move everything one by one. And do that while going through all the ads.

Years
  • Last time I checked I did. I think it's their way of trying to get people to pay to a.) use it and b.) get rid of the ads.
    If you have an ad blocker then you shouldn't be seeing ads at all on their site unless you somehow whitelisted them.

bitelaserkhalif

Falcon Punch!!
    Years
  • I actually has been noticing this problem somehow earlier at vstanced.com.
    However they seems to have one robust solution, which is private image hosting.

The problem was less imminent on vstanced, due to the users use private hosting, and also imgur.
    But on this forum, the problem is quite destructive... and annoying, like this
    Speedometers everywhere!
    My suggestion is to make private image hosting, as there's still a probability imgur is blocked, it was used to be blocked here in Indonesia, but no more.

If you has uploaded it into Photobucket, which is quite plenty on this forum, try to retrieve your picture and reupload it to imgur back... your picture is still OK, not deleted.

anyway sorry for bump.

Last edited:

KNS27

I got... Lonely Doggo?
    Years
  • PokeCommunity doesn't block imgur. But our country (Indonesia) was used to be blocking it (but no more now). Silly. Also now giphy got caught due to gambling advertisements. Wut?

I don't understand why they block it.There so many blogs or website that have many many Gambling ads, but they not block it.Even Internet Positif has 18+ click bait ads.

Last edited:
    Back