• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Physical Purchase vs Download Purchase

How do you buy?

• Physical purchase

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Download puchase

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
    Years

Which do you prefer?

If you didn't know, there are such things on each console and PC, where you can buy and download games, without having to leave your house.
    PSN for the PS3, XBL for the 360, Steam for the PC and Wii channel for the Wii. However, I want to know which do you prefer?
    Do you like sitting there and letting your game download while you search the internet, cook your food, watch TV or so on? Or do you like going down to your local game store and physically picking up that game you have been waiting for?

So, my question is:
    If you were given the option to ONLY utilize one methord for the rest of your gaming life, what would it be and why?
    Do you use one or both of the methords?

Note: Every and any game would be released on download purchase.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2011
    I buy some of both. I sometimes buy physical copies for use at LAN parties and such, but digital downloads are good for not filling up my shelves.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Prefer hard copies of games, tbh. Kinda bugs me I can't play my Virtual Console games on their original console, and I don't have the carts, so I don't really say "oh I have that game" if it ever comes into conversation, because well, technically I don't have it. It's just downloaded on my Wii. And I'd probably stick to hard copies forevermore, if I had to choose. :x

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Yeah, I love having hard copies of my games. The only game I ever bought from download would be WoW expansions. I don't like not have flexibility - if my Wii is gone for some reason, there go my games. If I want to play on someone else's Wii, my games are only good on one console. If I really have a shelf space problem I can take them out of the cases and put them in a CD case, but I like having the actual copies.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
    I much rather prefer the hard copy. The only non hard copy's I will ever get are that which aren't available in shops or are cheaper, Like L4D2 was cheaper on steam than in the shops, so I bought it from steam. Hard copies are my favourite though as I just like the feel of them. So hard copies for me. :)

Years
    Yeh, I think a lot of PC gamers get their games from Steam, from what I have heard and know of people doing it; seems cheaper.

However, I personally like to have the hard, physical copy, because it feels like I have something to show for my money, instead of something on the console. I can also cherish the games I love, like the special collectors edition of Silent Hill 2.​

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    If I had to choose which kind of purchase I'd want forever, it would definitely by physical. Like Sydian, I don't like how I don't actually physically own the games on my Wii Virtual Console. I just really like having a physical collection of games, you know? I've never been a huge fan of downloading games onto a system. Honestly, if I could, I would buy an N64 and get Ocarina of Time and Mario Tennis and whatever else, rather than purchasing them on the Wii's Virtual Console. :/

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I only buy physical copies, always will do, unless a game is free. As much as I can, I avoid dealing with Steam; there are a few reasons but it's mainly down to personal distaste.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I like to physically buy my console games but for PC games, I'd rather just download them. :s I'm not entirely sure why. I guess the fact that I don't even need the discs for the games kind of defeats the purpose of owning hard copies.

There's ups and downs to each. With downloading, I'd probably end up going over bandwidth every single month, especially in months where a lot of games come out. But alternatively, on platforms like Steam, if my computer is stolen or something, I can just reinstall everything when I get a new one. Steam is essentially my ideal platform for downloading games. It's everything done right, imo. Nintendo's is AWFUL and I always feel so uncomfortable buying any WiiWare or Virtual Console because I know if I upgrade/change Wiis, I have to re-buy my games. That and the fact that it uses arbitrary points (XBLA has this problem too) means that I'm always spending more than I need to when I go to buy a game. Then again, speaking of spending, DL games go on sale a lot less (though Steam's sales are ♥) and they tend to charge just as much for the games despite not having to be published or written to a disc, packaged, and shipped so... I have misgivings about them. (Though I can also imagine where the extra money could arguably go.)

Overall, I prefer having a hard copy though. If a hardcopy of a game is stolen or broken or goes missing, I've gotta go buy a new one, but I take really good care of my stuff so this has only ever been an issue for me once or twice. It's nice having the box to display on my shelf, having a booklet to flip through if I need a refesher on controls, and sometimes the discs themselves are pretty. :P Also I really like having special editions--I don't mind spending a little extra when I get a little extra. If you didn't get hard copies, you'd miss out on things like figures or artbooks and I love those. I imagine switching wouldn't be that big a deal for me overall though. Especially if bandwidth weren't an issue at all.

Synesis

M@$t@ TR@!N€R
    Years
    Personally, I have always preferred actual, physical (retail) copies. If nothing else, for the security of knowing that I have it in my possession for as long as I desire. My biggest fear is buying something digitally and losing my access to it. Plus it's kinda cool to look through the art on the box, the instructon manuals and the disc itself. Collecting games loses all values with downloading, and I'd prefer a world where rare games stay rare, purely because I'd feel awesomer =D. I have to admit though, services like Steam and PSN have been slowly bringing me over to the digital distribution side of gaming.

Last edited:

Kenpokid

Hee-ho!
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2016
    If it's a big ol' cart like a N64 game or SNES, I'm definitely going for a physical.
    If it's a disk, I'll download. Cartridges are much easier to take care of.

Years
    I like to physically buy my console games but for PC games, I'd rather just download them. :s I'm not entirely sure why. I guess the fact that I don't even need the discs for the games kind of defeats the purpose of owning hard copies.

I think that is more due to the fact with PCs, like you said, the disk becomes kinda redundant once you install it onto your computer. I just think that is due to the OS being there and being able to store everything, unlike the consoles, where they don't have enough memory (sometimes).

The reason, I think, why they don't really do the whole, downloading all games, just yet, is due to hardware space. Sure, I am sure a lot of people have their 250GB HDDs on their 360 and PS3, but a lot of people might not, therefore, having to delete games if they don't have enough space, where PCs really don't have that problem, as such. XD​

Years
    If I only had one option, I'd use download. Only because having excess revenue I can spend at any time sitting on my game console would be very convenient.

But that could also be a downfall, since you could just think, I will buy this, and I might as well just get this too. XD
    Somehow, I find it easier to spend money online than IRL.​

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I haven't downloaded a video game before, but I wouldn't do it because I might get cuahgt for piracy, so I like physical purchasing better.

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
    I typically only physically buy games. The only exceptions I make are for games or their expansions that are only online (a recent example being Fallout New Vegas: Dead Money). I like physical copies.

Back