• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Physical/Special Split w/ Images Tutorial (No ASM)

rip4d

Don't let "good enough" be good enough
Years
I read a bit about it, and my understanding is not that bytes get rearranged from say lowest value to highest value, but from least significant to most significant. In this case, that would mean that the most significant byte is the one at the beginning of an offset, and that would go in the biggest address, making it essentially a reverse of the the offset. That is my understanding of it from this page, and the examples it shows.

I am by no means an expert, and I could certainly be wrong and have misunderstood how pointers are written, but I have been hacking Fire Red for a while, and hex editing, and have never come up with a problem before doing it my way.

Ah, I got confused then. I'm use to working with multiple values in tables and listing them all next to eachother. For example, I would have 71 3C and B3 A2. In little endian, these two shorts next to eachother would be 3C 71 A2 B3. Being used to this, I just associated incremental order with little endian. My mistake! I'll delete my previous posts regarding it :p

Last edited:
Years
I'm having issues getting it to work. I end up just getting some graphical issues and the graphics that should appear don't. I think the split is working though.

Years
After doing this, and spliting physical attacks from special attacks, can I make physical attacks be ineffective against Ghost Pokémon? Or only special Electric attacks be ineffective against Ground Pokémon?

Years
  • Seen Sep 4, 2022
Sorry for the necro, but this post still comes up often in Google searches or from the Reddit threads pointing to this post. There is a typo in the big move list changing spoiler, fifth line from the bottom in the context:
Code:
00 00 50 10 64 0F 00 00 00 33 00 00 00 50 96 0C 5A 05 00 00 00 32 00 01 00 D0 00 01 00 14 00 10 00 08 00 [U][B]01[/B][/U] 00 9B 55 02 55 05 1E 00 00 33 00 00

Bulk up gets listed as a special move 01 here at offset 251BF2, instead of 02 as a status move

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 1, 2020
Hi everyone!
Thank you for providing the tutorial! But still I have a problem with the images: They don't show up on the screen and in the attack menu you don't see which move you select, so the red lines are stuck at the first move...
The only things I did differently to the tutorial were that my first offset was E4 30 16 01 (initially 11630E4), which is larger than the offset in the tutorial... also the offset I inserted at 0x13A1A0 was 02 02 98 94 08 (initially 01 02 98 94). Did I do something wrong?
Thank you in advance for your help!

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jul 26, 2023
Nice tutorial! Just one question tho, I already inserted manually with PGE which move will be physical and which will be special. Skipping the last part of the tutorial wouldn't cause any damage right?

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jul 26, 2023
Hi everyone!
Thank you for providing the tutorial! But still I have a problem with the images: They don't show up on the screen and in the attack menu you don't see which move you select, so the red lines are stuck at the first move...
The only things I did differently to the tutorial were that my first offset was E4 30 16 01 (initially 11630E4), which is larger than the offset in the tutorial... also the offset I inserted at 0x13A1A0 was 02 02 98 94 08 (initially 01 02 98 94). Did I do something wrong?
Thank you in advance for your help!

Had the same problem, Did you figure it out?

Back