• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pick Up And Play Challenge V2

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • So, I've posted this challenge before, but this time around, there are going to be a few changes so that it's less tedious and/or time consuming than the last one. For the most part if will be the same. If you're unfamiliar with this challenge, don't fret! It's quite simple. You have all these games lying around. You want to play them, but EH there's something better to do. Well, let's make a challenge out of them, shall we? The point of this challenge is to just pick up the game and play where you last left off for a day. That's it! And the next day, you move on to another game.

First thing's first, I want challengers to have more customization with their challenge. So there will be four modes, Beginner, Standard, Ultimate, and Over-Achiever.

Beginner: You must use 3-6 main games. You must do at least 30 minutes of gameplay for the game on the day you play it.
    Standard: You must use all your main games. If you have more than one copy of a main game, you can choose to add it in or not. At least 45 minutes of gameplay per game are required.
    Ultimate: You must use all your main games, including extra copies, as well as all your ROMs, including any hacks you have downloaded. At least 45 minutes of gameplay per game are required.
    Over-Acheiver: All your main games, including extra copies, all ROMs you have, hacks, and spin-off games are required. A minimum of an hour of gameplay is required for each game.

*For Beginner and Standard, if you have a game that no longer works or there's literally nothing to do on the game, you may use a ROM of that game, as long as you actually do have the physical cart.

Please don't enter a mode if you don't have the amount of games/ROMs! It's considered cheating. It wouldn't be fair to enter Ultimate if you have no ROMs or hacks downloaded, so it'd be better if you entered Standard in that case.

1. Please follow the guidelines for your mode.
    2. Legendaries are fine. This might be the only challenge where they are excepted, haha.
    3. DO NOT START A NEW GAME. The only exception to this is if the battery has run dry or it's a game/ROM you haven't really touched yet. The purpose of this challenge is to see how well you can readapt to whatever you were last doing.
    4. If you use a game that's currently in use for another challenge, it's fine to use it. Kills two birds with one stone, right?
    5. You don't have to make your days consecutive. For instance, you might play Red on Monday and wait til Wednesday or so to play the next one on your list.
    6. It's also recommended that you don't play twin games consecutively, like playing Diamond one day and then Pearl the next. Wouldn't wanna get too burnt out. You can randomize the order of your games yourself, or get someone else to randomize an order for you.
    7. When updating, if possible, please post your team status and location etc. that you had when you first picked up the game as well as what you ended with by the time you were finished.
    8. Also when updating, please try to post what all you did and not just the team you started/ended the day with. It's also recommended you update on the day you played a certain game.
    9. You are NOT trying to complete the game. Remember, this is just really to see how much you can do and it's only for fun. So unless you last played and were at the Elite 4, don't sweat trying to complete the game.
    10. This challenge is meant to go at your own pace, so take your time if needed. It's summer for most people though, so I thought bringing this back would be a good time waster lol.

If you have any questions, please ask! I hope I didn't explain things badly, but I suck at explaining. :( lol

Username: Sydian
    Mode: Standard
    Games:
    Spoiler:

As per usual, those that finish the challenge will get a crown next to their name.

Beginner:
    Spoiler:

Standard:
    Spoiler:

Ultimate
    Spoiler:

Over-Achiever:
    Spoiler:

Let's get going! Oh, here's the old thread for reference!

Last edited:

bctincher15

blue eye + brown eye =awesome
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Feb 18, 2013
    Username: bctincher15
    Mode: Beginner
    Games:
    Spoiler:

One question, do I only play one game a day for 30 minutes, or all games?
    I didn't really understand.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • It's one game a day. :) You can play longer than 30 minutes, but just make sure you fit in at least that much play time.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • If you want, you can look at the old thread for the challenge if you're still confused. There's a link at the bottom of the first post. That goes for anyone interested in this challenge, btw.

Game: Pearl
    Player: Donovan
    Time: 13:30
    Date: 5/17/12

I didn't do much, really. I trained Bellagio and got through the foggy route and did the stuff in Celestic Town, but that took so long due to the game's speed. I tried to get more time into the game and turned battle animation off, and it STILL runs slow. Since I got in at least 45 minutes, I decided I was done for the day. That was terrible. lol

Bellagio / Roselia (f) lv. 21
    Poison Sting, Magical Leaf, Mega Drain, Leech Seed

Electirizr / Electivire (m) lv. 32
    Quick Attack, Light Screen, ThunderPunch, Fire Punch

Rock Smash / Golem (f) lv. 35
    Rock Throw, Rock Blast, Earthquake, Rock Smash

Arrakis / Alakazam (m) lv. 36
    Focus Blast, Confusion, Calm Mind, Psybeam

Beasley / Emploeon (m) lv. 37
    Strength, Metal Claw, Aqua Jet, Peck

Spoiler:

Last edited:

bctincher15

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Feb 18, 2013
    I'm sorry I couldn't update yesterday, I will post yesterday's now.

Game: Red
    Player: RED
    in-game time: 7:47(Before), 8:56(After)
    Date: 5/17/12(updating 5/18/12)

I just mostly trained Wartortle and Pidgeotto before fighting Lt. Surge. I beat him after that. I then trained as I was on my way to Celadon, when I made it to Celadon, I bought a Thunderstone and a bunch of TMs.

BEFORE
    Spoiler:

AFTER
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2023
    I'll go for Over-Achiever. The games I have are Red, Blue, Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Pearl, Platinum, Black, and White. I'll try get a challenge up and going in each of them as well. I'll download roms of all the main series games I don't have, as well as TCG and Pokemon Pinball. I also have a game for gamecube, but I can't remember what it's called.. I'll download some hacks too.

bctincher15

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Feb 18, 2013
    Okay, now here is Today's.

Game: Ruby
    Player: Brandon
    in-game time: 3:37(Before), 5:02(After)
    Date: 5/18/12

I last saved after saving Peeko the Wingull.
    I got to Dewford, I beat him and got through Granite Cave. While inside, I caught a Shiny Aron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I got to Slateport, I beat the Magma Grunts, and did the First Trick Room.
    I then trained a little then saved.

BEFORE
    Spoiler:

AFTER
    Spoiler:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Game: Emerald
    Player: Mark
    Time: 23:47
    Date: 5/18/12

I did a bit today. I finished Aqua Hideout, got to Mossdeep, got a new party member, and went back to ummm whatever route that is below Mt. Pyre. I was saving it for my last party member because playing catch up sucks. So far it's easier than it was with Crater, who STILL isn't really caught up.

Crater / Rhyhorn (f) lv. 39
    Rock Tomb, Rock Blast, Stomp, Fury Attack

Bayone / Banette (m) lv. 40
    Thunderbolt, Psychic, Night Shade, Wil-O-Wisp

Alphabet / Torkoal (f) lv. 44
    Flamethrower, Body Slam, Protect, Sludgebomb

Cameron / Linoone (m) lv. 45
    Dig, Surf, Slash, Shadow Ball

Telepork / Grumpig (m) lv. 44
    Thief, Confuse Ray, Shock Wave, Psychic

Spoiler:

TheBritishNerd

Your local British nerd.
    Years
  • Looks like fun.

Username: TheBritishNerd
    Mode: Standard
    Games: (for gens 1-3 i'll have to use roms as i've lost the physical versison/don't have it) Red,Yellow,Gold,Crystal,Sapphire,Emerald,Leafgreen,Pearl,Platinum,Heartgold,Soulsilver,Black

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2023
    Day 1 - Randomized Emerald Rom.
    Spoiler:

bctincher15

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Feb 18, 2013
    Game: Black
    in-game time: 13:56(Before), 15:34(After)
    Location: Mistralton(Before), Dragonspiral Tower 2nd Floor(After)
    Date: 5/19/12

I just got through the following Routes and trained in Twist Mountain.
    I also beat every single trainer.
    I hate Boldore and Woobat.
    I arrived in Irricus and started the Dragonspiral Tower stuff, I saved on the 2nd floor.
    Just to say, I train a lot, because I'm always doing to Nuzlockes all the time, it has become a habit.

BEFORE
    Spoiler:

AFTER
    Spoiler:

I have to edit because no one posted yet.
    Game: Heartgold
    in-game time: 27:53(Before), 29:47(After)
    Date: 5/20/12

I recently beat Blue, and just got Rock Climb.
    I trained a lot and beat the remaining trainers around Kanto.
    I trained a lot in Mt. Silver.
    I beat Red, YAY, I also beat the Elite Four rematch before and after Red(they're really fun).

BEFORE
    Spoiler:

AFTER
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I meant to post this the other day.

Game: Gold
    Player: Guitar
    Time: 24:49
    Badges: 7
    Date: 5/23/12

Cylinder / Typhlosion (m) lv. 38 @ Charcoal
    Swift, Iron Tail, ThunderPunch, Flame Wheel

Papa Bear / Ursaring (m) lv. 39
    Slash, DynamicPunch, Ice Punch, Faint Attack

KeSha / Dragonair (f) lv. 38
    Slam, Dragon Rage, Thunder Wave, Waterfall

Blankie / Ampharos (f) lv. 39
    Fire Punch, Headbutt, ThunderPunch, Thunder Wave

Ellie Kate / Espeon (f) lv. 38
    Mud-Slap, Bite, Psybeam, Quick Attack

acooltent / Tentacruel (m) lv. 38
    Surf, Supersonic, Bubblebeam, Sludge Bomb

I don't feel like grabbing sprites, and I forgot to record my end status. But everyone is about level 40, same moves, and I beat Clair, did Dragon's Den, and got to Victory Road. So yee haw! I'm gonna be gone for a week tomorrow so idk if I'll be able to play and record what I do and stuff, plus I won't have time to play. Hopefully the rest of you do lol. ;(

bctincher15

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Feb 18, 2013
    I forgot to update, like around 2 weeks ago, but luckily I kept some of it written down.

Game: Pearl
    Time: 17:31(Before, 21:54(After)
    Date: 6/10/12(played on 5/28/12)

I was solo running from a solo run started like 3 years ago. When I started, I was at 2 badges and Empoleon was level 47(I used to grind a lot more than I do now). I just continuedand beat Maylene, the routes leading to her are very long.

BEFORE
    Spoiler:

AFTER
    Spoiler:

Years
  • Question!

I'm doing beginner. I need to know if I could use 3-6 games of the same generation (For example, using Ruby Sapphire and Emerald in beginner.).

Please answer, Thanks!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • That would be fine, but be a bit redundant...it'd be better to use games that are different from each other, but if that's all you have, it's fine.

I plan on playing my next game some time tomorrow btw, just so y'all don't think I abandoned my challenge lol. Things have just been really hectic in my life so I haven't had much time for it. :(

Years
  • Username: PokePlayer101
    Mode: Beginner
    Games: Emerald, Fire red, Blue

I'll get started with emerald.

Start time: 2:22 P.M. End time: 2:52 P.M.

My Emerald team is currently trying to beat wattson

Elektrike level 18 (male)
    Ralts level 18 (female, thank god.)
    Oddish level 18 (female)
    Combusken level 18 (male)
    Azumarill level 18 (female)
    Tailow level 19 (male)

We:

Defeated all trainers on cycling road.
    Leveled up a bit.
    Ran around, trying to get Exp. for the daycare Pokemon.
    Defeated all gym trainers in the third gym.
    Got KerPoened by Wattsons Manectric.

Now my team is:

oddish level 19
    eletrike level 19
    ralts level 19
    azumaril level 18
    combusken level 20
    tailow level 19
    Thats it.

I'm doing blue tomorrow.

I barely played blue; I don't have much done.
    squirtle and I hope to become stronger.

start time 2:24 P.M.
    end time 2:54 P.M.

Whoa

my team was

squirtle level 5

now its

squirtle level 13
    pidgey level 12

we:

got through viridian forest.
    beat the trainers there.
    trained the whole time.

tomorrow is fire red.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2012
    I am actually doing a youtube series that was inspired by this thread! I think this is an awesome idea, is there anyway I could post a link to the playlist? If not I totally understand, I can just post like normal. Btw I am linking your thread in all of the videos!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • When you update, you can just post a video or something if you'd like, in a spoiler preferably. That is a good idea actually, to video this challenge haha. Sorry I haven't been keeping up with this thread, guys. Life happened, ya know. :/ I don't know when I'll be able to catch up on my own challenge, but I'm rooting for you all and hope you're enjoying it.

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2012
    Haha, I understand. Well here is two videos, one of Kanto and the other Johto!

*Edit: I changed the links to actual embedded videos, which would be better?

Kanto (Pokemon LeafGreen)
    Spoiler:

Johto (SoulSilver)
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Back