• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Pika and Goliath" Episode Discussion

Years
    It is coolies to see Paul and all but really. In this episode it felt like they just stuck him there. It kinda becoming an issue with me.

Apparently, he is the antithesis of Gary, since Gary was barely around in Kanto/Johto. Although, the producers had better be careful, or he might be wearing out his welcome.

Did Surge talk in the flashback, at all? Did they use the actual dub footage and left it alone, or did PUSA re-do the flashback dialogue, like 4Kids does with their Yu-Gi-Oh products all the time?

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Apparently, he is the antithesis of Gary, since Gary was barely around in Kanto/Johto. Although, the producers had better be careful, or he might be wearing out his welcome.

Did Surge talk in the flashback, at all? Did they use the actual dub footage and left it alone, or did PUSA re-do the flashback dialogue, like 4Kids does with their Yu-Gi-Oh products all the time?

No, they pretty much just showed brief clips. Basically this was just a throwback to that episode in the Kanto saga.

As for Paul. It seemed like plot convenience that he was there. I don't know if he was there to study Ash's battling style, or if he was just there to ridicule him, because all he did was just go, 'Hmph...' and walk off. And since these are the writers of Pokemon we're talking about, best not to speculate too much, because they'll probably forget about that scene later on.

Years
    No, they pretty much just showed brief clips. Basically this was just a throwback to that episode in the Kanto saga.

As for Paul. It seemed like plot convenience that he was there. I don't know if he was there to study Ash's battling style, or if he was just there to ridicule him, because all he did was just go, 'Hmph...' and walk off. And since these are the writers of Pokemon we're talking about, best not to speculate too much, because they'll probably forget about that scene later on.

Ah, I don't have time to watch anymore, nor do I have cable anymore; that's why I asked. I was wondering if they brought back Surge's voice actor, or something, Maddie Blaustein, since she seems available to PUSA now.

Oh, I was thinking out loud about Paul. If I thought for a second that his random appearances were germane in any way, I'd go to town on this. The writers are improving, but they aren't to Joss Whedon level. Maybe when I'm 40. Heh.

Why is it whenever continuity is important, they completely forget it, yet it comes to completely useless continuity, like here, they're all over that? Hmm....

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
    Meh; it was OK. Not as great as I had expected it to be, me being a Pika and evolution's fan, you know..=/

The guy who owned the Raichu (I forget his name), yeah, his voice really annoyed the heck outta me. << I also thought the "death" scene would be a little more intense. Maybe more drawn out..more emotional...Sadly, it was nothing as I had hyped it up to be..*dies* Maybe it's just me. =/

Lol I also found that huge plot hole about how Ash had held onto that same freakin' stone for almost 11 years very hillarious. xD Well, technically it wasn't 11 in the seires, but you know what I mean. ;P

All in all it was an OK episodes. Not horribly bad, but at the same time not awesomely good either. Just a regular new series episode; something I had already expected from the D/P series, not having watched the anime in months. I'll just say thank God I was prepared for what I knew was coming. xD

The good thing about this episode though, was that Raichu and Pichu were in it, and even THEIR voices sounded a bit..messed up. x__x Maybe I'm just too used to the older episodes...Oh well. *dies*

-Neko

Years
    :/ Mr. Sho's voice was annoying & I couldn't understand 1 word he was saying.
    My faveorite part was the 1st time Raichu pinned Pikachu by the throat & blasted it with a hyper beam in the face. That was pretty cool (Violent? O.o;; ) The whole cardiac arrest scene was a bit much. & by the way, how does spinning while catching a frisbee help you in battle? I'll end this by saying, Score 1 for Team Rocket XD

Years
    i think what would be cool if for like 3 episodes if pikachu became a raichu (just like how a witch turned ash into a pikachu) it could be just like that and ash would use him against the fifth gym leader.

Vega-kun

GX Thunder Trainer
    Years
    I don't think Pikachu will ever become a Raichu, because it'll take away from the concept of the series... I mean, Pikachu is basically pokemon's mascot when you get down to it.....

kabigon

My body is always ready.
    Years
    I say the writing staff is starting to run out of ideas because this episode is just a copy of the Lt. Surge incident. I guess the writers arent very creative if they use the same plot over and over again. This is why I dont usually watch pokemon anymore... cuz it just keeps getting worse, and worse.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    w00t! An occurrence of the word "n00b" in Pkmn anime!!!

Still, I loved how Sho talked; his appearance seemed cool, too.

Hyper-Beam was way unexpected for me, and I felt so sad when they did a cut-scene from Pikachu right at the Hyper Beam's impact. I know it's expected, but still... :( Plus, Pikachu looked so helpless when Raichu pinned it with its tail! :(

Arrgh!! That Pichu at the beginning was so mean!! That thing must be tough if it has the guts to stand up to it's evolution like that (which could easily wipe the floor with it)!!

And Paul...is he obsessed with Ash and co. or what?? Even when he does randomly pass by, he still watches from the shadows!! If he wants to join 'em, he should do it already!! Plus, Ash is not pathetic; he's met more legendaries than Paul probably ever will, he knows more CotDs than anyone; and Ash's Charizard can school Paul's Torterra any day.

Lt Surge told him if Pikachu evolved, he would be stronger. Ash didn't want Pikachu to evolve just for a battle so he asked Pikachu if he wanted to evolve. Ash probably would've let Pikachu evolve there if it wanted to.

Ash said that line AFTER he found out Pikachu ran away and he said it in a distressed way, meaning he would have preferred it not to evolve, but would have respected his decision if he really wanted to, just like all that time ago.

Thanks for clarifying that. That line really bugged me...that means Ash also adopted the "size doesn't matter" philosophy..

In conclusion..., Pikachu FTW 4ever!!!!

*Btw, this is sorta off topic, but...if I can recall correctly, didn't Pikachu whack the ThunderStone away in refusal with his tail in the Lt. Surge episode?? And when a Pkmn touches an Evo Stone, doesn't that induce evolution? So...shouldn't Pikachu have evolved (accidentally) anyway, despite his decision? IMO, a Pkmn touching the stone at all should trigger evolution, since that has more contact & makes more sense than just putting the stone beside the Pokemon waiting for it to activate...

Last edited:

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
    Well you can't really say it is a copy of the episode with Lt. Surge. I mean the episode was much different the the last. The plot was the same to some point but it was also different. I feel that there was more intensity in this episode then the last one that appeared many seasons ago and that Team Rocket was just 'there'. Maybe you can even say that the writers were creative enough to be able to do this episode while making it different then the last one.

Still this episode is kinda proof that in a series this old, some things do repeat themselves but this episode did it in a good way since I didn't get that full force feeling that I seen this episode before. Also we got to remember that not all of the audience has seen the Lt. Surge episode so this plot is new to them and the writhers did a good job in writing this episode. Not the best since well this is the pokemon writers. Teeheehee

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    This Raichu was a lot more brutal than Surges'. I didnt like how it beat Pikachu down like that in the first battle but was very satisfied after it mastered that sky flip.

Years
    Thanks for clarifying that. That line really bugged me...that means Ash also adopted the "size doesn't matter" philosophy..

In conclusion..., Pikachu FTW 4ever!!!!

*Btw, this is sorta off topic, but...if I can recall correctly, didn't Pikachu whack the ThunderStone away in refusal with his tail in the Lt. Surge episode?? And when a Pkmn touches an Evo Stone, doesn't that induce evolution? So...shouldn't Pikachu have evolved (accidentally) anyway, despite his decision? IMO, a Pkmn touching the stone at all should trigger evolution, since that has more contact & makes more sense than just putting the stone beside the Pokemon waiting for it to activate...

If Pikachu hit Ash's hand rather than the stone, he wouldn't evolve.

I also believe that Ash was trying to be supportive of what he thought Pikachu's decision to evolve was. He wasn't happy, but he'd do anything for his best friend.

Back