• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pikachu "delevels" per region?

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2011
    Does anyone think that Ash's Pikachu "delevels" when he goes to a new region?In each region he goes to it gains a new move and wins a lot of battles using crazy speed and attack combinations(pika and goliath Volt-iron tail) by the time they enter the later gym battles and league.Everytime Ash switches regions Pikachu remembers all its moves but seems like a farcry of what it used to be.I mean how can a pokemon that beat a Regice,and Dragonite along tying with a Latios get beaten by a Panpour and a Snivy?It just doesn't seem right.

RHIOneAlbum

Banned
    Years
  • Its like our government in the US, if it makes sense, they don't do it :D
    But in seriousness, its a kids show, they want it to drag on without ash getting satisfaction ever. And to make the E4 look really powerful. And, it doesn't make sense just like blues clues.

Years
  • Looking at the no. of times this topic is raised, it should probably be added to the FAQ. :p

Anyways, this is what seems to be the most logical explanation to me:
    ^ Pikachu tends to experience a level reset at the start of every new region in one or the other way. This time it was Zekrom responsible for the level reset.

Ash becomes a rookie trainer again and Pikachu experiences a level reset just to make sure that the show is a fresh start for the new kids who start watching. How do you work out an Ash with an extremely powerful Pikachu going around beating every other Pokemon out there? Would be thrilling? The answer is no. As the story progresses further, Pikachu will be powerful again. n_n;

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2011
    It seems to me as well that each time Pikachu "regains" it's power towards the end of each region, it gets even stronger than before. Take for example the end of the Hoenn league, Battle Frontier, then Sinnoh. Each time we saw Pikachu get even more powerful than the last time it was at "full strength." I'm curious to see how strong Pikachu will be at the Unova League.

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2011
    It seems to me as well that each time Pikachu "regains" it's power towards the end of each region, it gets even stronger than before. Take for example the end of the Hoenn league, Battle Frontier, then Sinnoh. Each time we saw Pikachu get even more powerful than the last time it was at "full strength." I'm curious to see how strong Pikachu will be at the Unova League.
    that is true.i'm just a little disappointed that in this region ash seems to have lost his on the fly crazy battling style.though it did appear a little when he told oshawott to get its shell by aiming water gun at the wall.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years

• ROFL xD xD xD xD xD
    Anyways Ash is using Action Replay and Pokesav for modifying Pikachu's level so he just doesn't want to look epic at the start of his journey (reason why he only brings Pikachu with him no other pokemon cooperates with AR)

Good theory.

But after looking at Regeneration's theory on Pikachu's reset in level it all makes sense. But what were the other three reasons on why Pikachu would lose all of his Experience?

:t354:TG

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • Looking at the no. of times this topic is raised, it should probably be added to the FAQ. :p

Anyways, this is what seems to be the most logical explanation to me:
    I completely agree with this, this is like the 10th Ash/Pikachu reset topic in the last couple months.

You know what I blame for Pikachu "deleveling"?

Ash.
    Ash commanded Zekrom to attack Pikachu =/?

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2011
    Perhaps each new region is really an alternate universe in which a new "ash" and "pikachu" have their own adventure. Haha, well, that seems unlikely... In any case, I do find it sad how Pikachu turns back to level 5 at every new region. I understand that if Ash remained a super pro and his pokemon all level 999, it'd be unfair and boring, but... still.

Kowai

Elite
    Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2011
    The writers seem to be using the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" logic. This simply means that they will hardly change anything from the first region since it was an amazing success when Pokemon first released. Ash will always make the same mistakes he made in previous regions and Pikachu will always reset.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • While I agree with what Regeneration said about resetting so he doesn't defeat everybody which will reduce the show's "thrill value (or whatever you want to call it)." However, it's just all same-old and mostly illogical to have it randomly "delevel" through random means. Maybe he could still be part of the teams, but wouldn't it be more logical to have a new trainer start from each region on their own and Ash helps them out along the way instead of him being the main character all the time, while he still looks forward to challenges of his own? (much like May & Dawn, but that sort of character gets the main "headline" while Ash travels with them like Brock did for 10+ seasons, portrayed as a "mentor.")

Tl;dr I want new characters replace Ash while he still travels with the group as a "mentor," while Pikachu keeps his strength.

Last edited:

sure25

Open Agent (For Now)
    Years
  • They probably either

A. Didn't want Ash to dominate every match or
    B. Didn't want Ash to get rid of Pikachu because he's too strong. (Ash starts over in every region and deposits his "strong" pokemon)

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • Tl;dr I want new characters replace Ash while he still travels with the group as a "mentor," while Pikachu keeps his strength.
    They'd probably be too lazy or it would cost too much money to produce a side show. I really do wish they would do something like that though.

They probably either

A. Didn't want Ash to dominate every match or
    B. Didn't want Ash to get rid of Pikachu because he's too strong. (Ash starts over in every region and deposits his "strong" pokemon)
    I'd say B, plus they want to keep using him and Pikachu as advertising gimmicks.

Years
  • I think its stupid how Pikachu can take down a Latios along with himself in the process and still lose to Trips Snivy. I mean still evern if the first time he couldnt use electric attacks. he still had iron tail and multiple other attacks. Cause if Ash relies just on electric attacks than he wont always win a match. Its good that Pikachu is learning more moves now but if it needs to learn something else. Say Brick Break for example. even though he knows Iron Tail. But again thats just one move.

Guest123_x1

The reason for Pikachu "deleving" every time Ash goes to a new region is obvious-as I've said over and over on here, the writers reset Ash to 10 years old when he goes to a new region (which is made obvious with little to no references of past journeys of him as a Pokémon Trainer).

Back