• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pikachu?

Years
    @ TSPhoenix: THANK YOU. Reading this thread was like *headdesk* but you covered everything that needed addressing.

So is the Pikachu's nature only set, or are its IV's and such set too? How would its attack get so high? The only way Special can is by Light Ball, I presume.

I've never actually played UU, but I've always thought it would be interesting (and a fair few Pokes on my Standard team are BL, I think).

But in any case, since Surf is in his movepool again, a UU DP simulator would be cool, since you could use that opportunity to play with one that had a Spd+ nature and HP Grass or somthing.

~Chibi~

Years
    @ TSPhoenix: THANK YOU. Reading this thread was like *headdesk* but you covered everything that needed addressing.

So is the Pikachu's nature only set, or are its IV's and such set too? How would its attack get so high? The only way Special can is by Light Ball, I presume.

I've never actually played UU, but I've always thought it would be interesting (and a fair few Pokes on my Standard team are BL, I think).

But in any case, since Surf is in his movepool again, a UU DP simulator would be cool, since you could use that opportunity to play with one that had a Spd+ nature and HP Grass or somthing.

~Chibi~

You're welcome, I mean it had to be said.

About Light Ball, in DP it has been changed so it also doubles Attack. That means with max IVs (Hardy nature) Pikachu can have
    418 attack and 398 special attack. If you used a non-Hardy Pikachu you can go as high as 458 and 436 in each stat respectively.

And you should definately play UU sometimes, its hard to do because of the whole way battle simulators are usually made, but as far as I know the unreleased DP battle simulator called Competitor should have formal support. That said I think if you use Surf they will force a Hardy nature, but you should be able to get whatever hidden power you want.

Ichida

The Zealous Blue Partizan
    Years
    Ichida, by your logic since OUs are inferior to ubers we should all play ubers. Or better yet only use Acreus because its the only top tier Pokemon. Your logic is horribly flawed, tiers don't exist to seperate the good from the bad, they simply seperate Pokemon into groups of 'equal skill' so they can be used against each other.

XDDD. Don't you just love the way you said that as if you had no goddamned clue how utterly, uberly anti-legendary of a player I am?

@ Tiers comment: I prefer to stay in the top tier of statistically balanced Pokemon. This is where the competitive standard is set. Use lesser tiers if you want, but I won't pull any punches or change my lineup at all if you decide to use weak Pokemon.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    Fighting with anything lower than OU Pokemon is like a gang of mobsters fighting with dull twigs.

This post insulted me a bit. I use Raichu on my team quite effectivley. So it isn't OU. Is that a big problem for YOU to comment on? So you don't use em. That should be good enough for you.

Exactly. Why anyone would use weak Pokemon on purpose, even to go so far as to create a sub-league for BL, UU, and NU Pokemon, is beyond me. It's like celebrating mediocrity and failure.

And there is no problem with playing in those leagues. If you don't, thats perfectly fine. No need to insult people who does. Not that I was insulted, I don't partake in those leagues, but I believe those that do might feel offended. There are 493 pokemon ever made, if you like to use the 30 or so OU, perfectly fine. But others feel comfortable with those weaker pokes. There just $35 sprites, after all.

Last edited:

Ichida

Years
    And there is no problem with playing in those leagues. If you don't, thats perfectly fine. No need to insult people who does. Not that I was insulted, I don't partake in those leagues, but I believe those that do might feel offended. There are 493 pokemon ever made, if you like to use the 30 or so OU, perfectly fine. But others feel comfortable with those weaker pokes. There just $35 sprites, after all.

Not trying to offend anyone. Just, for me, it's like two people giving weak frowns and poking each other gently in the shoulder with twigs, and expecting people to gather around, watch, and cheer as if it were an epic Greco-Roman colosseum tournament.

...wow, that has to be my best simile to date. XDDD

Always and Never

Nick // Always and Never
    Years
    Well, I liked it.

I just went clothes shopping, and all they had for pokemon shirts was Pikachu. I felt like grabbing a lighter and setting it ablaze. Pikachu is incredibly weak, and no matter what you say won't change that.

Bishopk

meow :)
    Years
    • CO
    • Seen Feb 16, 2018
    It's the face of Pokémon.
    *shrug*
    What can you do, make a petition to demand that they make shirts with all 493 Pokémon?
    (If you do, buy me a Bidoof one)

Years
    Not trying to offend anyone. Just, for me, it's like two people giving weak frowns and poking each other gently in the shoulder with twigs, and expecting people to gather around, watch, and cheer as if it were an epic Greco-Roman colosseum tournament.
    Well, on the other side of things, I certainly imagine an uber battle would be quite the epic clash. But oh wait--somehow a slugfest between things stronger than OU (often including OU's) equates to drunk fighting. So much sense. <<;

Sorry. Conflicts get me miffed easily.

~Chibi~

Years
    XDDD. Don't you just love the way you said that as if you had no goddamned clue how utterly, uberly anti-legendary of a player I am?

@ Tiers comment: I prefer to stay in the top tier of statistically balanced Pokemon. This is where the competitive standard is set. Use lesser tiers if you want, but I won't pull any punches or change my lineup at all if you decide to use weak Pokemon.

I do have no clue, I'm new here. What I do know however is that your perception of how Pokemon can/should be played is very narrow-minded.

OU is no more balanced than any other tier, sure there are UU Pokemon that don't really fit in UU that well, but the same goes for OU, after all what is BL for?

Your criteria for choosing a tier to play in is very flawed, the only requisite should be is that its statistically balanced, the rest shouldn't matter. Also I'd like to know when we decided that Ubers isn't balanced.

...wow, that has to be my best simile to date. XDDD

I can believe that was your best simile yet, fits in perfectly with the rest of your sub-par "arguments".

The best counter example I can think of is high school girls fighting, by no means the strongest combatants you'll ever see, but throughly entertaining regardless. Why, because its typically an evenly matched struggle, just like OU. It only stop being enjoyable when one side is clearly stronger than the other. The amount of strength is irrelevant. Whats important is that the two sides are equal.

Years
    ^ By that logic, the fact that OU has to be kept separate from UU means that they're unbalanced. But if you really think that UU equals mediocre twig-fighting, then obviously OU is superior for being a more power laden clash. But wait! That same logic does not apply to Ubers.

Face it--there is no logic--it's just Ubers being strong is bad, OU being weak in comparison is good. OU being strong is good, UU being weak in comparison is bad. <<;

Oh wait! We forgot Legendaries! Them being OU and BL doesn't apply! Simply the fact that they have mystic-y backstory exempts them from this rule; they are unbalanced and must die!

Why is it, that when given five levels of Pokemon to fight with, each of them balanced only when fighting each other and a select few from a lower level, the top level is by default, unbalanced?

~Chibi~

Bishopk

meow :)
    Years
    • CO
    • Seen Feb 16, 2018
    *sigh*
    There is a reason OU is OU.
    There is a reason UU is UU.
    Whether it be stats, abilities, or movesets, there is a reason more people use OU than UU. It's strength.
    The fact is, an EV trained Arceus (or any Arceus, for that matter, being used well) will kill you. 99 or 100 times of 100. Put up a UU against that, and you're screwed. Even an OU can take a fall. Which is why the Uber tier is unbalanced.
    Tiers make it fair. Ubers? When used right, Ubers win. In tiers, there's competiton. I go play Uber game with my buddies, it's "whoever trained best or hacked Arceus wins." I play over here, I see a lot of OUs and some BLs and UUs. There's much more strategy, it comes down to whose team can take hits and give them right back.

Years
    I apologize if I'm wrong, but was that post in reply to me? Because my last post was totally laden with sarcasm. I was saying that Ubers being unbalanced is to OU as OU is to UU. Obviously one can't use one in another, except with regards to certain UU/BL.

~Chibi~

RLan69

Pokemon Junkie Extraordinaire
    Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2010
    What nature is Pikachu? Is it always a certain one (like Electivire is Adamant) or is it always different?

RLan69

Pokemon Junkie Extraordinaire
    Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2010
    Ugh...and it sux since Volt Tackle isn't an egg move in that sense (or is it???). I wanted a Sub-Punching Raichu w/ Volt Tackle & Surf :(

Ichida

Years
    Pika/Rai's physical attack is abysmal anyhow. Light Ball is the only thing that makes Pikachu even worth considering, and it doesn't work on Raichu.

Back