• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Pkmn R/S Beta Magazine scans

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2009
    Hi everyone! While I was away I stumbled upon a site known as X-Cult. I knew about this site before hand but never said anything. They study stuff in Many video games. This site has an even bigger parent site dedicated to Sonic the Hedgehog research, called Sonic cult. I do not recommend Going to Sonic Cult as it is for more mature audiances only. X-Cult is at least some what decent. Most likely because the former owner of SC had no large influence over it.

Now I'm not giving a link to this site until I get an okay from the Admins as there is a minor bit of swearing on the site. It has been a while since I checked the page so I'll need to check again for swearing in the article i was looking at so hang on a sec.....

Okay, I've just reviewed this Page on the site And There are no profanities of any kind on that page. If any of the admins don't want me to post this link then Take the images and post them here That way I don't have to do it. (I'm kind of lazy.)

http://www.x-cult.org/dispart.php?catid=3&gameid=8&subid=1&artid=1

I wll remove this link upon being told. I wasn't really sure if this violates the advertizing rule or not but if it does admins as I've already mentioned you may delete the link. All I ask is that you take the images on that webpage an put them in this thread so I don't have to.
    As for the rest of you I hope you enjoy this treat of R/S Beta Magazine scans.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2009
    I don't reccomend you explore the site anywhere else but that page. (Or at least not doing so using that link anyways.)

btw The double question mark graphic for unidentified pokemonin the pokedex of the beta screenshot is still present in the rom. It in the hex addresses between Celebi's and Treeko's pokedex data. Just like the Question mark in a circle used in the final it can be encountered as an actual pokemon (Or as actual as glitch pokemon get anyways) However this glitch is nearly as powerful as Deoxys Normal form in stats. Sadly though all it knows is tackle and that is all it will ever learn. It is actually more stable than ? in a circle and has no potential to cause harm to your cartridge. It has the cry of an unown and actually has the name ? listed as its species name. It has an Unown cry because it is a placeholder for unused Unown data in the rom.

Last edited:

KadabraK

pokeboy
    Years
  • Wow, that's pretty cool. Shows you how many changes and touch-ups they go through to complete the game.

groudonlover

Mateus readies Hellfire...
    Years
  • Cool... Wierd that the Duskull's details weren't shown, even since it was captured :/
    And a green Wynaut?

Most of the Person Sprites looked nicer...
    And Lilycove...

Zer0Virus

That Dude.
    Years
  • I think the Beta looks a bit cooler than the Final hah. he only thing wrong with the Beta for me is its kinda blurry? And i tad bit smaller than the Final version. Unless its just the picture. I havebad eyes sooo.. yeah haha. But other than that I like it.

Years
  • For some reason, beta stuff has a tendancy to look cooler than some final stuff (not always, but mostly).

The gentleman sprite, while just a slight change, looks a lot better. Same goes for the path in Lilycove city.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2009
    I think the Beta looks a bit cooler than the Final hah. he only thing wrong with the Beta for me is its kinda blurry? And i tad bit smaller than the Final version. Unless its just the picture. I havebad eyes sooo.. yeah haha. But other than that I like it.

It is just the pictures. These were scanned from gaming magazines which explains the quality issues.

My favorite pictures are the ones with the ?? glitch in it.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • Yes you are! I loved that pokedex. I found it strangely more atteactive then the final one. To bad as i would have loved hoenn if it was like the beta.

Pingouin_7

The Duskull height, weight, etc. isn't shown because they didn't want to reveal Pokémon. Same for the Pokédex with ??? instead of numbers.

Back