• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen PKMN Trainer Red

Years
  • We all know that RED was the most exciting part of our 2nd Generation games. He stood with his Pokemon on Mt. Silver, waiting to crush all foes, and you were brave enough to put your skills to the test with him. How did you defeat him?
    How many tries did it take?
    Did you do it with one Pokemon leveled up high?
    With a party of six?
    And if you had a party, what Pokemon and what levels were they at?

Sirfetch’d

I managed to easily defeat him. I don't really remember by team as it has been many years, but I know my OP Feraligatr did most of the work.

Dragooncroft

Tomb Raider
    Years
  • My first time beating red? Hmm, let me try to think back and remember. I think I had a Feraligatr, Jynx, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Ampharos, and Noctowl. Of course this was back when I was little and played with the overpowered legendaries and such. They were around L50s and I spammed Full Restores and Max Revives.... silly old noob me! {XD}

Years
  • Well...Red...first time I saw him, I flipped out! Well, hullo there! A level 81 Pikachu? The levels to me were just insane! Their power was insane! Everything about them was insane!

But beating them...was not as hard as I thought it may be. I had a level 60 Scyther, level 60 Girafarig, level 60 Lanturn, and a level 60 Typhlosion. With just that, I managed their weaknesses and strengths together, eloquently, and I beat Red.

The only troubles I had were on Red's Snorlax. He is strong, and he kept using Rest and Snore. Very irritating to take him down.

Whyvile

Toot your horns
    Years
  • ^lel double post

Anyway, Reds Pikachu wasn't hard at all. All I had to do is send out my Snorlax, and heal once as he Volt Tackled to death(This was gen IV, I never knew about Red in Gen II until far past my time).

His Venasaur was outsped by my Quick Claw Blaziken.

His Snorlax was slowly defeated by said Blaziken.

Charizard got Stone Edged by my Golem.

Blastoise was Thunderbolted by my Ampharos

Lapras actually nearly swept me, but Quick Claw saved my life.

When I went too challenge him in Gen II, it was pretty much the same, only Blaziken was a Houdoom instead, who took care of Espeon.

Nomine

サトセレ
    Years
  • I had to look back on my Silver cartridge to find this, aha. Saved right after I beat Red and haven't touched it since then.

How did you defeat him?
    A: Pure luck and a LOT of potions. All of my Pokés except my Gengar were underleveled.

How many tries did it take?
    A: Two tries. I was able to defeat all of his Pokémon until Snorlax the first time. (That Snorlax is... annoying as heck!)

Did you do it with one Pokemon leveled up high?
    A: Sorta. My Gengar got all of the experience during and after the Pokémon League. It was level 81 when the others were in the 60s. (except for my HM slave!)

With a party of six?
    A: Nope, a party of four.

And if you had a party, what Pokemon and what levels were they at?
    A: Gengar- Ectos- Level 81
    Feraligatr- Fero- Level 67
    Ampharos- Spark- Level 64
    Jumpluff- Cotton- Level 62

Years
  • I'll have you know i lost to Red and only cried for 20 minutes... ahaha nah but it did take me a few tries. Ugh he was so powerful it was ridiculous. I can't remember my exact team but Feraligator was the team leader at the time and was totally awesome in those battles... Sure he got KO-d by Pikachu 10000000 times but hey. We tried our best and beat him eventually :)

TheKurtzinator

Professional Derp/Trainer
    Years
  • Just played through Silver for the first time in years and I beat Red about a week ago. My team was a little weak but I got him after using A LOT of hyper potions.
    My Team at the time:
    Tauros (Socrates) - Lv54 (Took out Pikachu)
    Pikachu (Ditka) - Lv55
    Lugia - Lv49 (Took out Espeon)
    Feraligatr (Dmitri) - Lv42
    Poliwrath - Lv61 (Took out Snorlax, Charizard, and Blastoise)
    Ho-Oh - Lv70 (Took out Venusaur)

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
    Years
  • I defeated him but not 100% sure which Pokémon I used. I do recall using Meganium and Noctowl though. I think I may have used the red Gyarados and a few of the Eeveelutions too. Red's Snorlax was a pain in the butt, kept using Rest and Snore. My Meganium had to keep using Solarbeam and Razor Leaf to weaken it. His other Pokémon were easy to take down once I got that Snorlax out of the way.

Wootius

Glah
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2022
    I walked up to Red with a few 70 somethings(Butterfree and Blastoise are what I remember) and got rolled.

I came back with a billion X-items and gamed my way through him. I still feel a little hollow about that victory. It's why I don't use x-items anymore.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Nobody uses x-items.

Anyway, when I was a child, I was abusing my Yellow cartridge in many many ways. So I beat Red with a level 100 Mew. :3

Years
  • To be honest, I don't think I beat him until I traded tonnes of high level pokemon which were caught in Red/Yellow.

I failed with my original Crystal party after beating the elite 4 and every gym :-|

Years
  • I think I had a party of several Pokemon that I trained by going through the E4 many many many times. Took a few tries since his Snorlax was really annoying, but I got through in the end! He was pretty hard.

Joobell

Insert Witty User Title Here
    Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2015
    I played Silver in 2003 and had no idea how to play the game besides potions, revives and running away. I had a Sceptile, The Shiny Gyarados that everyone got, Snorlax, A espeon, Lugia, and Raticate (As I said I had no idea how to play the game). I won the first time with about all my revives and potions used.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • lmao It was sooooo long ago when I defeated Red in GSC.

I remember using a random Gravelar to deal with Pikachu and then using a mix of Typhlosion, Dodrio, Magneton and Seaking to finish of the rest. iirc Snorlax was the Pokemon that gave me the most problems. It just wouldn't die, and when I play HGSS now it still doesn't. Typhlosion took care of Venusaur, Dodrio took care of Espeon, Seaking; Charizard and Magneton; Blastoise.

I just had to use everything I had against Snorlax. >:(

Guest123_x1

When I made it to Mt. Silver's summit, I had saved the game, and then initiated battle with Red a couple of times, but always shut off the game early on in the battle, as I never raised my Pokémon enough to even stand a chance against him.

Back