• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Planet discovered capable of supporting life

Years
    Planet discovered capable of supporting life

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13423085

The planet Gliese 581d is at the colder outer edge of the "Goldilocks zone" in which sunlight levels, temperatures and atmospheric conditions are such that liquid water can be sustained, and therefore, life is possible there.

Thoughts?

Years
    Its good news I suppose but we won't have the technology to go there within our lifetime so its also fairly pointless news to me personally.

Its great that scientists have managed to discover this though.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
    We've known this for years and the possibility of it being habitable is increasing with new scientific series.

Hmm..yes, future world domination in my future.

IceSage

Sage of Ice
    Years
    There are actually a lot of planets like this discovered that are capable of supporting life. However, they're just so far out that not much research has gone into them.

An article like this appears every once and awhile though.

Still exciting to see, though!

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I feel like the point is more like there could be life similar to ours there already, not that we should go inhabit it.

Years
    Well, it says "may" have water, but in any case it's one more piece of evidence that Planet Earth isn't really that special. Well, except to us Earthlings. It's kind of hopeful, I suppose, to know that there could be something else out there.

Years
    This is a p cool discovery, although the "catch" of an atmosphere toxic to humans kind of kills the hope of a body to migrate to, unless technology can overcome such an atmosphere. Anyhow, it'll be cool and all to actually discover whether the planet is currently a host to some form of life.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
    Well, it says "may" have water, but in any case it's one more piece of evidence that Planet Earth isn't really that special. Well, except to us Earthlings. It's kind of hopeful, I suppose, to know that there could be something else out there.

It's also stated in the article that if it's environment is habitable to some form of life, it would likely be toxic to humans.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    We must not determine life by Earth standards. What constitutes life elsewhere, and the conditions that life lives in, can be entirely different.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    We must not determine life by Earth standards. What constitutes life elsewhere, and the conditions that life lives in, can be entirely different.

That's all we can determine life by, because we have no other experience with life to show other ways that it can be. We only know Earth life, we can't determine life by standards on other planets because there are no standards to look to. Where do you suggest the definition of life come from if not Earth? Are the rocks on Mars alive? Have we found anything in the universe yet that can be considered alive?

Years
    That's all we can determine life by, because we have no other experience with life to show other ways that it can be. We only know Earth life, we can't determine life by standards on other planets because there are no standards to look to. Where do you suggest the definition of life come from if not Earth? Are the rocks on Mars alive? Have we found anything in the universe yet that can be considered alive?
    I think she's just saying to keep an open mind. We can speculate how non-Earth life could be different, like the idea of silicon-based life instead of carbon-based life since silicon and carbon are pretty similar chemically.

Back