• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Platform Discussion

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
GameFreaks determine when the games come out, and on what system, not Nintendo.

Do they? Last I checked Game Freak can't manufacture game cartridges or handle production and distribution on their own. They can't release officially certified DS software independently either. Let alone the logistics of who holds the purse strings when it comes to paying the staff to make games.

Neither do Game Freak hold exclusive ownership of Pokémon.

Besides, why are we assuming Game Freak would want to make a DS game anyway? They've been making DS games for 6 years, at some point people will be saying "We've gone as far as possible against the limits of this tech, we need to continue the strength of our brand by starting production on new technologies that allow us to design and make better games". We can't use arguments like "They've always released the third game on the same system as the originals!" because that's speculative reasoning.

The DS broke the pattern of system releases since the GBC, where the release dates of Nintendo's new systems happened to be around the same time Game Freak finished off a generation with their enhanced version of a game. As the DS had such a long lifetime in comparison to the GBC and GBA, it just so happens that Game Freak's development schedule resulted in Black and White being ready in time to release on the DS, but ready too early to make any serious plans about 3DS development. The DS's long life is also the greatest problem - it shows its' age compared to today's electronics market, and even with the attempt in the DSi to patch up some of the fundamental flaws, Nintendo wants to get rid of the thing as soon as they can.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023

Do any of you OWN a 3DS?

If so...you should all know that the 3DS has a function for Download and Play that forces it into a DS style screen with Normal DS Functions. It temporarily switches. I use my 3DS and my DS to transfer and the 3DS is always receiving from my DS. The 3DS can connect to Normal DS transfer programming and wireless messages.

It just can't Pictochat. That's the only thing I can't seem to bring up.

Also as Megashock said (sorta) Nintendo sets what games come out for what system and the companies that make the games have to follow suit. Nintendo issues out a contract and the developing company has to meet the standards set by the contract. If it says they need a game to come out for the 3DS, then Gamefreak will have to work on a game for the 3DS or they won't make any money as they won't have anything to sell.

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
Years
No they haven't, and you still haven't provided that source we asked for. But sure, take random word of mouth over technical analysis and deduction.

Yes they have. I will have the source later once I find it. It was said a while back. If you want to know about it go talk to serebii himself. They wouldnt use moving sprites just for one set of games. You do not change the images of Pokemon to a whole new level mid generation.

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
That's a lot of words for stalling.

Honestly, though, this is a question I've been wondering for a while.

What is a 'Generation'?

What is it other than a vaguely marketing related and often fan term, rarely used officially, that refers to a set of games that starts with a brand-new title and ends when the next original game comes out?

Does it hold any special meaning to Nintendo and Game Freak? Or do they see their games in terms of individual titles for them to do as much as they can on - or perhaps looking at their games in terms of the device they're made for, and the possibilities they have with it?

To steadfastly claim that a 'Generation' of Pokémon games must strictly cling to certain restrictions in resembling their predecessors, regardless of other circumstances, smacks of over-zealous speculation to me. I stand by my opinion that we're at point in time where we can't keep looking back at the old patterns and not acknowledge that a lot of things happening right now are different to what they were in the past.

A little change never hurt anybody.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
If you are talking about 3d models then no they will not use those. Gf have said already they will stay with sprites for art reasons.

No they haven't, and you still haven't provided that source we asked for. But sure, take random word of mouth over technical analysis and deduction.

Finally! Whew; I thought I'd never find this again, with the sheer number of "Pokemon-related interviews" roaming about the Internet. But yeah, I think this is the "interview" being discussed/referenced above:

"One of the reasons for sticking with the 2D Pokemon images is, with the 2D, it really depends on who draws it. There's a lot of personality that's drawn from the 2D images, whereas with 3D, it's the same model used for everything, so the personality doesn't really come out. One of the reasons we've stuck with 2D is to get a more individual feel with it." -Junichi Masuda
He went on to say that they aren't ruling out the possibility of 3D Pokemon in future releases and that it's a conscious decision made at the start of every project.

Source: http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011...te-made-for-3ds-and-why-are-pokemon-still-2d/

From what I understand, it seems that Game Freak prefers 2D sprite artwork for Pokemon because it evokes more of a 'personality' and is dependent on the artist who draws/sprites the Pokemon in question. Usage of 3D models still remains as a possibility in future Pokemon games, though.

-----

I'll probably elaborate more on my thoughts for this thread another time, but to sum up right now: I feel that the Nintendo 3DS is more likely for "Pokemon Gray", although the Nintendo DS cannot be necessarily ruled out, due to: wider availability of the DS, "Gray's" brethren versions (Pokemon Black and White Versions) being native to the DS, and Nintendo is still releasing games exclusively for DS despite the existence of the more-capable 3DS (Pokemon + Nobunaga's Ambition, so it seems).

Additional posts made prior to this one will likely be quoted for reply, when I get the time. >.>

Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2013
I have thought like this, since they removed the Pokemon animations like the Crystal and Emerald ones when the Pokemons are out from the Pokeball, I think it will make a return and they will just add it in the 3rd game, I don't know I just have a feeling they will do this.

And I don't think the 3rd game needs a 3DS as a platform, but Maybe the R/S remakes...

Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2013
I have thought like this, since they removed the Pokemon animations like the Crystal and Emerald ones when the Pokemons are out from the Pokeball, I think it will make a return and they will just add it in the 3rd game, I don't know I just have a feeling they will do this.

Not only Pokemon's intro animations are missing but also gym leaders', eilte four's and champion's. This could mean that sprites would be still used in Gray with additions of those animations.
If sprites would be still being used, it's possible that Gray would be on DS. Black's or White's file sizes are about 256 mb. The most capable DS cartridges can hold 512 mb of data. So there would be plenty of space to fit Gray's extra features and make back sprites less pixelated.

Maybe instead of 6 gen with another region and another bunch of new Pokemon, there would be ultimate 3DS game with all regions and ability to travel between them all at any time and storyline connecting all regions. Everything would be in 3d including Pokemon and people. That would be a game which would use 3DS potential both in graphics and amount of cartridge's memory which is 2 gb at this time and possibly will be increasing, just like DS' cartridges.

Last edited:
Years
Maybe instead of 6 gen with another region and another bunch of new Pokemon, there would be ultimate 3DS game with all regions and ability to travel between them all at any time and storyline connecting all regions. Everything would be in 3d including Pokemon and people. That would be a game which would use 3DS potential both in graphics and amount of cartridge's memory which is 2 gb at this time and possibly will be increasing, just like DS' cartridges.

Now, I hardly think they'd risk that. You know how often people already complain: "it's not as good as the last game - why did they leave this out?" If they create a be-all-and-end-all game, they won't be able to make a sequel for fear of it being a massive letdown.

As much as I would like to get another year or so out of my Gen1 DS, it makes sense from a business perspective to release it for the 3DS. Think about it:

• People often buy consoles purely for Pokémon games
  • The 3DS has had very underwhelming sales
  • The PSVita has just been released.

Now if I were Nintendo, I'd be forcing Game Freak to develop for the 3DS. They need console sales and you have to kill off your old product when it gets to a certain age otherwise you cease making money from the hang-on consumers.

The only other possibility is that if they DO release Grey for the DS, I expect to see a Colosseum/XD-esque side-story released on the 3DS either concurrently or straight afterwards.

Attribule

Veteran Wall-Worker/WW3 Survivor - AMA
Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2016
As much as I would like to get another year or so out of my Gen1 DS, it makes sense from a business perspective to release it for the 3DS. Think about it:

• People often buy consoles purely for Pokémon games
  • The 3DS has had very underwhelming sales
  • The PSVita has just been released.

Now if I were Nintendo, I'd be forcing Game Freak to develop for the 3DS. They need console sales and you have to kill off your old product when it gets to a certain age otherwise you cease making money from the hang-on consumers.

Exactly.

The DS is getting on in its years, and the 3DS being the newer, more powerful platform, is going to be what's favored. They'll put more focus into making it fully compatible with the 3DS, and compatibility for the DS will be second priority, if there's room for it.

Tachikaze

九番隊 // Earth-Severing Wind
Years
I hope it's on the 3DS. Much better platform, and much better graphics than if it were still for a DSi.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I agree the graphics increase of a third version on then 3ds will make Bw look as if they were still part of gen IV in comparison, and hopefully the price will drop more by the time the third version comes out for those who lack one.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I agree the graphics increase of a third version on then 3ds will make Bw look as if they were still part of gen IV in comparison, and hopefully the price will drop more by the time the third version comes out for those who lack one.

They don't plan to drop the price until they Discontinue the DSi. There is a rumor about them dropping the DSiXL's price before that, but I cannot confirm it.

blue

gucci
Years
Well we've had BW, Pokemon + Nombunaga's Ambition for the DS so I'd assume that it would be for the 3DS due to the fact that's it is almost one year old too, they wouldn't go back to the DS now that they have started with the 3DS games.

Years
  • Seen May 31, 2020
I too think that it should be for 3DS. BW was released before the 3DS, but now, it's a year after the 3DS and it's initial release, nearly a year and half if you take it from when grey will be released (Sep most likely), if you don't have the 3DS by now, it's not for Nintendo to keep holding back the 3ds games because people haven't bought one yet.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
The 3DS has already gone over the 5 million mark, I don't see why Game Freak wouldn't make the third game on the 3DS. Honestly, it would be a much better idea than putting it on the DS, which will probably have a few changes like they usually do, but with the 3DS, there's possibilities of much better graphics, expansion, and loads more space for other stuff.

Tachikaze

九番隊 // Earth-Severing Wind
Years
The 3DS has already gone over the 5 million mark, I don't see why Game Freak wouldn't make the third game on the 3DS. Honestly, it would be a much better idea than putting it on the DS, which will probably have a few changes like they usually do, but with the 3DS, there's possibilities of much better graphics, expansion, and loads more space for other stuff.

This, pretty much. I don't see why they'd purposefully backtrack. And, the 3DS + new Pokemon game would be a pretty nice bundle that I imagine would sell pretty well.

blue

gucci
Years
Well Pokémon is one of Nintendo's Best sellers if not THE best so to have it on the 3DS would be a huge money spinner.

Back