• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Platform/Language of your choice

Platform/Language of your choice

• Total voters

蜃気楼

Jirachi Fan
Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    Which platform/language would you prefer to make you game?
    I would prefer Java/JavaFX because they are easy and portable.
    C/C++ are too hard, because you write full of boilerplate code and you will have a hard time at finding a decent library.

Waudby

I use Javascript, it's easy enough to pick up and does the job well however, i also use ruby and python.

I use javascript because it's the language used in Sphere and that program is a lot better than RMXP for making your own custom game if you put the effort into learning the language and API.

蜃気楼

Jirachi Fan
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    You can also make game in HTML <canvas> tags, while you use JavaScript to draw graphics on <canvas>. However, it is not compatible on all browsers so you need to use XULRunner

Darkholme

Keeper of the Pointy
    Years
  • Java or C++. C++ Is faster, so if you're going to do something in 3d that would be better. Same if you want it for a device for a small amount of memory, like if youre making it for a PSP.

But JAVA you can run on any computer system, you can embed applets in webpages.

Javascript and html are only really good for browser based text games.

So If you're going to make it for PC (or a cell phone), and it has sprite graphics, I would say Java. If its in 3d or you want to run it on a PSP, then C++.

蜃気楼

Jirachi Fan
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    I have a question: If you used C++, how hard it is? Do you write five lines of code to draw graphics or just one function?
    I am afraid of boilerplate code..
    Maybe there are still some people who write text-based games on command line.

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    code.google.com/p/gosu
    I love programming pure Ruby.

Can't believe you put HTML/Javascript and didn't put C# or even Visual Basic.

Darkholme

Keeper of the Pointy
    Years
  • I have a question: If you used C++, how hard it is? Do you write five lines of code to draw graphics or just one function?
    I am afraid of boilerplate code..
    Maybe there are still some people who write text-based games on command line.

I would be using libraries to draw graphics. I wouldn't want to try to do it manually.

You might be able to find some decent text based games. Personally I fon't like them, but if you do, all the more power to you. :)

蜃気楼

Jirachi Fan
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    At last, I found some libraries, it only take one line of code to draw graphics while using OpenGL, GLU and GLUT alone took 20 lines

DrCoolSanta

Erode away...
    Years
  • Well you may very well use those libraries. You needn't even use OpenGL but DirectX and Direct3D. The boilerplate code is generally available on the web. It is not as hard as you say . . .
    You just require some understanding of C++ progrmming and windows programming, but the end result is much better.

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2010
    Yah I can't believe there's no C# but Visual Basic deserves to be disowned.

C++ is by far the best, it has the most library options, the most customization and is most solid and works on all platforms.

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    Visual Basic is what BASIC stands for. Beginners All purpose Symbolic Instruction Code. It has its place for beginners.

If anything should be disowned it's the RPGMaker/Game Maker series.

PsyMaster

Your mind is mine to control.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 21, 2016
    I hate being limited by those "game makers". I code my games in C++ and use the Irrlicht graphics engine.

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    I'm really doubting to start the validity of people saying C++.

Darkholme

Keeper of the Pointy
    Years
  • rofl. why's that? I mean, I'm more of a java person, but that's just because youre not doing anything graphically intensive and if you make it in java it can be run on all sorts of systems without needing different versions.

Well, that, and java looks neater because it HAS to be object oriented. you can get away with much sloppier code in c++.

Waudby

Well C++ is recognized as the industry standard, and has been for a long time, so people naturally presume it's the best language :/ which isn't necessarily the case, I know many programmers who prefer standard C to C++ because the way it extends the API is terrible.

A lot of people I know also use C# claiming it to be better, it's slower at running but quicker at developing, but sadly it's platform dependant on windows.

蜃気楼

Jirachi Fan
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    Some C/C++ easy game APIs are not object-orientiered, which are very easy.
    I've seen some people tried to port OpenGL API to other languages such as Python.

Mr_Dark

Poke Dev.
    Years
  • First of all... saying that Java is good because it works on all OS's is like saying that anal sex is nice because it works on all genders.

For quick app development I prefer C#, because it's too damn easy to build a nice application in a minimum time. Yes the memory footprint is bigger because the .Net interpreter reserves some memory (the amount it thinks is needed) for you application. Also C# is a bit slower because everything has to be interpreted like Java, BUT... the .Net runtime is getting better and better and getting more ready for game development.
    Some C# applications can run on *unix systems with some help of the Mono-framework.

For game developement I still prefer C++ (with OpenGL if possible). C++ is harder to understand because you have to know how to use pointers and stuff, but I gives you much more control on how "objects"/variables are handled and what they have to do. In these days it isn't relevant anymore becuase almost every computer has like 2GB of RAM, but still it feels freaking good to see that your application is doing a shitload of work and only using 1/2MB of memory :D. (The application I'm talking about here is the server of our MMORPG)

And finally. There is no best coding language. Each coding language has it's own purpose.

Last edited:
    Back