• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Platinum actually does fit Diamond/Pearl

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • I hear a common thing that people say that Platinum should have been Crystal's name and Crystal should have been Platinum's name.

Here's why I disagree: if you look at Giratina's name you can clearly see it has the word tin in it which leads back to Platinum. Kind of like how Diamond comes from Dialga and Palkia comes from Pearl, but corrupted. So, honestly, Platinum still fits with the naming of Diamond/Pearl.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I mean, the issue people take with the names and why many think they should've been switched is because of the thematic inconsistency.

It's like, why do you name the first two after a pair of precious metals/gems and then name the 3rd version after a gem/precious metal? Especially when the rest of the main games are all more or less thematically consistent in their naming. Giratina's name is partly derived from platinum yes, and so its name fits in with the other two in its trio, but that doesn't really address the question.

Years
  • Meanwhile I hardly even notice any thematic inconsistencies, I'm so used to these games being trios that in my mind it works really well even if it doesn't make much sense. :D; I suppose most people are like me and don't really notice/pay attention to it, but I still understand the above points.

Years
  • I don't think your logic is totally airtight here, OP. The reason people argue that Crystal and Platinum should be switched is because Platinum is also a metal, like Gold and Silver, and Crystal is more of a precious stone/substance, like Diamonds and Pearls.

Giratina could've been named after it was designed. The game's name, Platinum, could have been chosen long before Giratina was ever conceived. Yes, they clearly named Giratina with inspiration from the word "Platinum/Platina", but it doesn't fully explain why they went Metal x2/Precious Stone in Gen 2, and Precious Stone x2/Metal in gen 4.

Seeing as Johto and Sinnoh are tied in certain ways (Jasmine's presence in Sunyshore, the Sinjoh Ruins, Unown playing a role in both regions, etc), I kinda like that there's a bit of crossover in their naming scheme, though I doubt there was considerable foresight into it.

I like to imagine if Suicune had been designed as a Steel type instead, and we got Platinum back in the day. Then instead of a Giratina, we'd get… Giratal (or Crysgira or whatever), with more glass-like embellishments instead of the yellow-metal-like covering.

Years
    • Seen today
    To be honest, I haven't heard anyone say that Platinum and Crystal should swap names. Until now. And honestly, I disagree. I think the names are fine as they are.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I think one big difference as to why they went with Crystal was that they simply lacked a trio at that point. Ho-Oh and Lugia are just a dua and therefore going with Gold/Silver seemed to be the right choice. Suicune is not part of the group and it wouldn't make sense to give it Platinum in its own game, as a result. Crystal also fits well with the water theming as it is very much as translucent as water and kinda reflects the purity thing that Suicune is referred to.

I don't know why they went with Platinum in gen 4. If I had to guess, they just took something that is very valuable. It needs to be comparable with diamonds and pearls but since gold and silver are already used that pretty much leaves just platinum. Maybe there was something else they could have picked? But it's more likely that that wouldn't be as recognizable as just picking platinum.

Years
  • I don't think your logic is totally airtight here, OP. The reason people argue that Crystal and Platinum should be switched is because Platinum is also a metal, like Gold and Silver, and Crystal is more of a precious stone/substance, like Diamonds and Pearls.

Giratina could've been named after it was designed. The game's name, Platinum, could have been chosen long before Giratina was ever conceived. Yes, they clearly named Giratina with inspiration from the word "Platinum/Platina", but it doesn't fully explain why they went Metal x2/Precious Stone in Gen 2, and Precious Stone x2/Metal in gen 4.

Seeing as Johto and Sinnoh are tied in certain ways (Jasmine's presence in Sunyshore, the Sinjoh Ruins, Unown playing a role in both regions, etc), I kinda like that there's a bit of crossover in their naming scheme, though I doubt there was considerable foresight into it.

I like to imagine if Suicune had been designed as a Steel type instead, and we got Platinum back in the day. Then instead of a Giratina, we'd get… Giratal (or Crysgira or whatever), with more glass-like embellishments instead of the yellow-metal-like covering.

I was gonna argue against this, but I just looked it up and platinum is an element, like gold and silver, so the names totally should've been the reverse way.

Years
  • I mean, the issue people take with the names and why many think they should've been switched is because of the thematic inconsistency.

It's like, why do you name the first two after a pair of precious metals/gems and then name the 3rd version after a gem/precious metal? Especially when the rest of the main games are all more or less thematically consistent in their naming. Giratina's name is partly derived from platinum yes, and so its name fits in with the other two in its trio, but that doesn't really address the question.

"It's like, why do you name the first two after a pair of precious metals/gems and then name the 3rd version after a gem/precious metal?"

You wrote "precious metals/gems," followed by "gem/precious metal." How exactly are those different? You changed the word around and removed the plural.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    "It's like, why do you name the first two after a pair of precious metals/gems and then name the 3rd version after a gem/precious metal?"

You wrote "precious metals/gems," followed by "gem/precious metal." How exactly are those different? You changed the word around and removed the plural.
    the longer way of saying it would've been something like:

"Why do you name the first two games of Gen 2 after precious metals and the first two of Gen 4 after gems, and then name the 3rd version of Gen 2 after a gem and the 3rd version of Gen 4 after a precious metal?"

the first word before the first slash is linked to the first word before the second slash, and same goes for the words immediately after the slashes

Years
  • I have never heard this kind of discussion tbh. I feel like it just refers to platinum being a highly valuable thing, like diamonds and pearls. It works for me tbh.

Back