• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Platinum bug? [edit: ALSO LEGENDARIES]

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Hm, apparently you're unable to edit comments posted about entries. Anyways, here's the thread. The creator of the thread was wrong on a few accounts but as far as these things go, this was pretty good.

Hope you don't mind me triple posting :x

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Slow Erica is slooooow. Sorry for the late response. I've been dead tired the last little while. XD
    Yes, the internet has to be the greatest place for finding random knowledge. People learn really great facts from the internet (I know that my English has improved a lot since I started frequenting forums) so I don't really understand why websites like Wikipedia are banned when doing schoolwork in most cases. Do the teachers not want you to finish the question quickly? No matter how hard it is to find something out, you're still going to learn it. I know I'd rather search up Wikipedia than trying Google Search for an hour or so.
    Oh god another tangent. XDD I think most school boards ban wiki because it's, firstly, editable by everyone. Standards are way up from when it was first introduced, however, so that's probably a secondary concern. Mainly, teachers want everyone to be able to look things up on their own WITHOUT wiki. Sure, it's great to have a centralized place for all the info you need, but you'd be surprised how many people don't know how to look up information in a real encyclopaedia. o_O; Or if you give them something that has no wiki entry, they're totally lost. I think that's why wiki is banned. :/
    But my little rant aside, back to Pokémon. The greatest thing about the first and second generations was that all you needed was a bit of common sense to figure out what the Pokémon were based on/represented (at least, most of the time). Take Ekans, backwards for snake. And then Krabby. Does that even need an explanation? Hoot-Hoot is an owl. Blaziken is a fiery chicken that possess some blaze... Maybe. Zigzagoon... Wtf? Everything regarding originality seemed to spiral downwards with the third generation onwards. Either the Pokémon were too original (Castform) or they were too blunt (Luvudisk)

I'm not sure if I agree with you when it comes to returning to the first generation with the fourth. You have the legendaries, which we've already discussed and come to the conclusion that they're crazy and unnecessary whilst you have Bidoof and it's just too damn obvious as to what inspired that design, you know?
    8D Zigzagoon was a racoon! I actually quite liked it, but I definitely agree with you. Ken Sugimori has created every Pokémon EXCEPT for the ones in the third generation, from what I hear. That explains why the designs of the DP Pokémon are just better than RSE's. (But some are still unoriginal, but I guess with 300-something to start out with, it's hard to be original after that. D:) I wonder when they'll hit a stop and finally decide "no more". Because I don't really see Pokémon getting any more original from here on out. They're already resorting to alternate forms of the SAME Pokémon.

Your Bidoof example... I know it's really obvious, but a fair few first gen Pokémon were like that. I'm even just thinking of its first-gen equivalent, Rattata. It's an obvious one too. I actually feel Rattata, Pidgy, etc. are even more obvious than Bidoof. XD If it weren't for the "bi" part in its name and looking at its evolution too, I'd probably associated it more with a woodchuck than a beaver. :|

Well, of course they promote trading so strongly! Think about it; it's Wi-Fi. A whole new generation of gaming was upon the industry and Pokémon was already a goldmine so why not use it as an advantage? If you look at it that way, you can see the logic the mass amount of legendaries in DPP. Not everyone was going to catch every legendary. Some people wouldn't be bothered, other people thought certain legendaries were too hard, so Wi-Fi worked there. I've acquired Cresselia and Heatran off of the GTS because I didn't feel like catching them.

That said, it has taken the novelty away from catching legendaries. As we've said already, there is no happy feeling fermenting inside of you as you catch a legendary nowadays. Instead, all you say is, 'Wow, another one.'
    I suppose this is true. I love the online stuff, but I do still yearn for the days when I could remember all the legendaries instantly instead of sitting there trying to write them all down for 15 minutes (and still missing some). XD; And if wifi is going to promote a ton of version-only legends... oh well. I'll live. :[
    Well, Manaphy was an okay Pokémon. It was accepted by the fandom's followers because it was the Mew/Celebi/Jirachi counterpart, ya know? However, its three predecessors could not breed and this jumped the shark. Legendaries cannot breed. End of story. Don't break the laws you have set.

The anime isn't really related to the games, especially the movies. If you count the movies as canon, you're going to hit plotholes from day one. Yes, there was an episode with a baby Lugia and a fully grown Lugia and it really shouldn't have been made. The writers should never have said that the adult Lugia was the mother of the baby because then someone else could make an assumption that it was just a baby Lugia, born from the heavens.

And that makes two Lugias as well. Aren't they classified as legendary because they're one of a kind?
    Well, so long as the Manaphy isn't making another Manaphy, I think it's fine. Though I may not agree with Phione as being a legendary, whatever. I still think it's kind of cool. XD;

This used to be a huge fandom debate way back in the beginning, I think. In RBY, there was no such thing as breeding. There were only TWO Snorlaxes in the game. If you killed both, you couldn't get one. Did that make it legendary? How about Farfetch'd. As far as I remember (and I could be wrong XD) the only way to get it was to trade someone in-game for it. Eevee? Only one. So a legendary isn't a legendary just because it's the only one, it's legendary because there are local myths and folklore associated to it. The anime helps show us what they are but even in the games I think some people will hint at legendaries and what they do.

Yes, exactly what I said. The side-quests were fun, the rewards were not. I had to search up on another website as to how to unlock the Regis because how would any normal gamer figure it out? It was random to the extreme.
    I love JRPGs so when it comes to crazy sidequests that you can only figure out by going online or using a guide? It's awesome. XD

THAT SAID... I'll reply to the rest later. I'm at work now and my lunch break is over so I'd better go back to pretending I have something to do... even if I don't. 8D;

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Yes, if one was running they shouldn't have allowed another to run, especially if Cresselia happened to have no real place in the game whatsoever. Are the birds roaming around in Platinum? I've heard rumours but no one has actually confirmed anything for me. As for keeping the trios together; can I divert your attention to Pokémon Crystal? Suicune really had its own show there. Raikou and Entei were just thrown into the background because they were unloved.

And yes, even with the Regis, you had three separate types. Now, as you said, three Psychic-Type Pokémon aren't really going to help you.
    Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I think I never finished crystal, which would make Yellow the ONLY tertiary game I ever completed. XD 'Cause I barely remember any of the Suicune plot. I only remember it was important because it was on the cover, lmao. 8| Regardless, I thought it still roamed in Crystal? Or did they force you to catch it via plot? *honestly has no idea* o_O I still prefer if they keep them all doing the same thing. It makes more sense to me.

And all the rumours do say the birds roam free in Platinum after you get the National Dex. :/ I already HAVE them in Diamond/Pearl so it doesn't matter to me either way.

Alternate forms of Pokémon do not make sense at all. It's quite obvious that they are only there to promote events and trading through Wi-Fi. Really, all the unveiling of alternate forms of Pokémon did for me was confirm my suspicions; the makes or the franchise have lost what they had with the first two generations: Originality.
    I didn't mind things like Wurmple, how it could evolve into two different forms. And I don't mind Castform, since its forms are creative. But all these other forms? I was confused and annoyed with Deoxys but now it's just going too far. ;_; As for Wifi events, I hope they actually start doing them. They've only done local wireless events so far. D:
    The Mew/Arceus debacle is quite interesting and necessary, believe it or not. See, Mew was the Original One, the ancestor of all Pokémon. It had the DNA of all Pokémon inside of it, so surely it created them. However, it could not create everything and other legendaries created what it could not. It could not create legendaries; that was Arceus' job. Arceus created Mew and anything else that formed the earth.
    I suppose that makes sense. I guess. XD; I still just don't feel it's necessary. They aren't even giving it a plot or anything, which I feel would be required if they want to make a Pokémon god. Why on EARTH would they introduce it in this generation for no reason? That's part of what bothers me. It has no use in the games aside from being secret and hidden. >:| If they went ahead and made it the third legendary that has its plot significance in Platinum, then sure but... they didn't. @_@; So why not wait and make it a legendary in the NEXT game and, you know, give it a good storyline?
    They did, remember? With the glitter in the snow city I can't remember the name of. Somewhat disappointing, but at least they're putting it to use.
    That wasn't wifi, was it? I thought it was just something programmed into the game to happen on that date. :|
    Hm, apparently you're unable to edit comments posted about entries. Anyways, here's the thread. The creator of the thread was wrong on a few accounts but as far as these things go, this was pretty good.
    Thanks for the link. I didn't even realize it was a recent discussion. XD

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    First out of two after more than a week because Rekhyt excels at procrastinating!

Slow Erica is slooooow. Sorry for the late response. I've been dead tired the last little while. XD

I contemplated writing a rant as to why you need to speed up when replying to people's blog comments but then I realised that I'd come off as an absolute hypocrite so I refrained.

Oh god another tangent. XDD I think most school boards ban wiki because it's, firstly, editable by everyone. Standards are way up from when it was first introduced, however, so that's probably a secondary concern. Mainly, teachers want everyone to be able to look things up on their own WITHOUT wiki. Sure, it's great to have a centralized place for all the info you need, but you'd be surprised how many people don't know how to look up information in a real encyclopaedia. o_O; Or if you give them something that has no wiki entry, they're totally lost. I think that's why wiki is banned. :/

Well, I can see where you're coming from, but think about it. Right now, we are living in the days when technology can only improve. When the two of us are old enough to be grand-parents (assuming we're lucky enough to have any), the kids we'll be thinking fondly of will probably be going to a virtual school inside some sort of virtual reality pod. Banning Wikipedia is stupid because that's what kids look up at home. Who cares if it's editable? Chances are, the page you want won't be edited, and even then you'll probably know whether it has been or not.

8D Zigzagoon was a racoon! I actually quite liked it, but I definitely agree with you. Ken Sugimori has created every Pokémon EXCEPT for the ones in the third generation, from what I hear. That explains why the designs of the DP Pokémon are just better than RSE's. (But some are still unoriginal, but I guess with 300-something to start out with, it's hard to be original after that. D:) I wonder when they'll hit a stop and finally decide "no more". Because I don't really see Pokémon getting any more original from here on out. They're already resorting to alternate forms of the SAME Pokémon.

Your Bidoof example... I know it's really obvious, but a fair few first gen Pokémon were like that. I'm even just thinking of its first-gen equivalent, Rattata. It's an obvious one too. I actually feel Rattata, Pidgy, etc. are even more obvious than Bidoof. XD If it weren't for the "bi" part in its name and looking at its evolution too, I'd probably associated it more with a woodchuck than a beaver. :|

Yeah, but Zigzagoon looked like some sort of 2-D drawing one would see a child in playschool draw. Umhm. I didn't know that Ken wasn't around for the making of the third generation. Well, I probably did and I forgot about it, but that's not the point. A pity, too. There would probably have been a much better game/generation if he was around. Taking that into account, I'll admit that the fourth generation was slightly better than the third, but still nowhere near the classiness we saw with the first two generations. As you said, with three hundred and ninety-three Pokémon, it's going to be hard to come up with something new.

Ah, alternate forms of Pokémon. Probably an indirect message to the public stating that Pokémon was only going to get more and more unoriginal. While the Rotom forms are okay, you can't help but think that they aren't what Pokémon used to be.

And yes, there was Ratata, Pidgey, but they had some sort of class that Bidoof didn't. Bidoof was plain. The other two weren't. Maybe that's nostalgia talkin'. Not sure.

This used to be a huge fandom debate way back in the beginning, I think. In RBY, there was no such thing as breeding. There were only TWO Snorlaxes in the game. If you killed both, you couldn't get one. Did that make it legendary? How about Farfetch'd. As far as I remember (and I could be wrong XD) the only way to get it was to trade someone in-game for it. Eevee? Only one. So a legendary isn't a legendary just because it's the only one, it's legendary because there are local myths and folklore associated to it. The anime helps show us what they are but even in the games I think some people will hint at legendaries and what they do.

OKAY MAYBE YOU'RE RIGHT

I love JRPGs so when it comes to crazy sidequests that you can only figure out by going online or using a guide? It's awesome. XD

Not really. What about the kids who didn't know how to use the internet and because of that, their gaming experience was wrecked up.

WONT SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?

Okay, I'll get back to this later when I'm not brain-dead.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I'm a little late replying, but that's because I didn't know you were actually using this blog. :x

"it means they'll make the dogs more easily obtainable through some other way. Like... like maybe a remake? Keep dreaming. ;_;"

I'll dream with you. A GSC remake would be awesome. :O

Except for Yellow, I let my brother have the third version games. He just likes the series more, I don't like doing things over, and in this case...I'm still not finished Diamond XDD

New Light Riku

Freakin' Awesome Trainer
    Years
  • Emerald was a good improvement of RS , just think of the battle frontier, the challenge it forced on us to actually train other pokemon. And let us take a moment of silence for the almighty cloning glitch! Without that... It's too unthinkable! I'm sure platinum might have some useful glitch. The battle frontier should also be something new, eh?

Back