• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Platinum>HG/SS?

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2010
    About 2 years ago, I had played and beaten Diamond, and then later sold my game, and Nintendo DS. Just recently I picked up a DS again with the intent to try the new remakes of Gold and Silver versions, and I must say, I was disappointed. They took out a bunch of my absolute FAVORITE parts from D/P. Such as... The poketech thing? That thing was like my love... And the main thing I liked most that they took out... The underground base thing... Even if I was totally bored with the game... I loved going down there and mining for rare items! I miss it soo much! So I'm thinking I'm gunna pick up Platinum and try that out when I get a chance, is there anyone who has played both, and thinks I'm right/wrong? I'd love to know people's opinions before I go out and get a new game and start over on it...

Years
  • Well in platinum you get the addition of more pokemon in the national dex , battle frontier, re-done gyms and elite 4, and a supposedly better and faster AI. I personally think its up to you but I have enjoyed platinum just as much as Pearl and if thats what you're looking for you won't be disappointed.

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
  • I have both plat and SS and SS is really boring next to plat Plat has much better features like you said the poketch apps the underground the gym leader rematches the fact that no pokemon follows you.
    SS has nothing but the Pokeathlon which I hate and the fact that you have to wait for EVERYTHING rematches,Safari Zone Etc....

So yeah that random jumpy hard to follow rant ends with me saying yes buy Platinum I'm actually buying a 2nd

s_a_l_poke

n00b = g00d
    Years
  • Well, the only reason many huge features were taken out were because of the huge amount of data taken up by Kanto. Platinum was only 1 region, so there was a lot more space for the Underground, Poketch, etc. Also note that HG/SS had double the storyline of Platinum, meaning there's less time to be bored with it.

institutions

ain't that a kick in the head?
    Years
  • Your answers might be biased.
    Some people love HGSS for the nostalgia + shiny new graphics and a few minor upgrades.
    Some people started playing 3rd or 4th gen so theres no true nostalgia factor.

There was no Poketch or underground in HGSS because it wasn't there in GSC.
    They couldn't just take out the Pokegear.

Platinum has a pretty sweet battle area, but if it's post-game is anything like Diamonds was (I played through Platinum but only for the legends) it isn't great.

HGSS had a second region but it was incredibly short.

Imo HGSS is better, but I was a hardcore Pokemon RBY and GSC player back in the day, so the nostalgia got to me just enough to make me biased in favor of it :P
    I also think my hate for the Sinnoh region and most of the 4th gen pokemon factors in somewhere.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Sinnoh just wasn't a very fun region for me to play around in. The plot moves far too slow compared to previous generations and the landscapes are all the same, except for the Snowpoint area, but the Hail battle effect grates on you too quickly. I couldn't even bother to finish the game after beating Volkner in my first Pearl playthrough, let alone playing the massive aftergame. D:

HGSS does have that nostalgic factor for me, but it's pacing is definitely superior to those of the Sinnoh games and the main quest is longer. If you include the side stuff like the Frontier, the Pokethlon, the safari Zone, the rematch with the E4 and Red and the stuff you unlock via the Pokewalker, it's the most substantial Pokemon game released to date.

ACE9

is looking for a shiny miltank
    Years
    • Seen Dec 22, 2013
    Yeah, IMO Platinum was way better. I really liked the zones, and the ability to capture the aftergame legendaries.

But the nostalgia of HG/SS beats everything.

Calvan

Uber Nerd
    Years
  • As far as the sheer number of features platinum wins. HG/SS have the nostalgia factor and a nice meaty storyline. But. Aside from the 8 extra gyms. the HG/SS post game just kinda irked me. Especially seeing as you have to grind your pokemon to sickeningly high levels just to beat Red. i'm sure I could pull it off if I wanted. But I don't.

Corruptodile

Ma chérie, Je t'aime.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    Each to his own I guess. Some people prefer Platinum because it has features that weren't around in Gen II, some prefer HG/SS as it has that nostalgia factor, as pointed out by others.

I loved the Time/Space story in D/P, and was thrilled to see the Distortion World. I had no imagination to think of that. The underground is also a nice feature, and I prefer the Vs. Seeker to the phone in Gen II. HG/SS has some nice things, like Pokémon following you, (even though I got sick of it) and a more thorough storyline. Overall, I find Platinum better, simply as I got into Pokémon at Gen IV, and no matter how hard I tried, can not get into Soul Silver as much as I can in Platinum.

Lieutenant Unstable

Camelot Castaway
    Years
  • I love SoulSilver for the sheer nostalgia factor, as Silver was probably my favorite Pokemon game in either generation. However, I play Platinum much more for some reason. I didn't really like the Sinnoh region, but I really love my Platinum. It's weird.

But to me SS isn't a bad game at all. I love the upgraded graphics, and it just reminds me of good times with my Gameboy Colour, lol.

hack1

Dragon Green
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2015
    I think HG/SS are better. Radio and walking with Pokemon are my favourite features. Only feature I like in Pt is Underground.

sabapple

Fly High☆
    Years
  • I prefer Platinum over HG/SS. It's just that I find HG reallllllllllllllllly boring, like, I was sick of it by the time I got to Goldenrod City... -_-; I dunno, Platinum just seems likes there's more to do and you don't have to grind so much. That and I find Team Galactic far more interesting than Team Rocket.

polkop

LSHMSFOAIDMT
    Years
  • Depends on what you want, Platinum or HGSS will be better.
    If you want to play a nice in-game story, Platinum is better.
    If you want to do competitive battle, HGSS is way better for his new tutor move and egg move.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I would also kinda contradict Polkop:

-There are some competitive battling add-ons only available in Hg, but most are in Platinum.
    -Platinum is much easier for EV training etc.
    -HeartGold has better graphics, in my opinion, and a longer storyline, ending in an epic battle with Red, however, your rival in Platinum is nearly as strong as him eventually.

Platinum takes less time to unlock all the features of the game, I suppose....but gameplay in Hg/Ss is slightly faster.

My advice is, get Platinum, simply because it's better than Diamond. AND you can catch Palkia, unlike in Diamond.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I definitely found Platinum to be the better game. With all due respect to Team Rocket as a whole, Archer and Co. never posed a threat like Cyrus and Team Galactic did. Though I liked the interactivity of the cell phone, the Vs. Seeker is a much more useful tool for getting rematches - it's pretty much instant (just walk 100 steps) and you're not limited to a select list of trainers who'll battle you - anyone within earshot may be fair game for a rematch.

Also, the playable character design (IMO, and for the female) went downhill between the two games. I also preferred the customization offered in Platinum with secret bases and the villa. I did enjoy HG/SS, but I liked Platinum just a bit better.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I think that they are both good. Although, I like SS better because it brings back memories of me playing Silver.

NocturnalNinja

The Dope on Hiatus
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2010
    I guess it really depends on whether or not you played GS and whether or not you like DP better. But I personally prefer Platinum over HGSS right now because its easier to rechallenge the gym leaders and I have one of my favorite teams on Platinum right now. But I suppose it really depends on what features you prefer. So if you liked DP you'll really enjoy Platinum since it adds on to the previous story and extends the Sinnoh Dex.

Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Well.. HG and SS is a remake, they can't just put in a bunch of new stuff, since they have to follow the originale game. What did you actual expect?

Back