• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Platinum Metagame be trippin...

Noir Lancer

That One Guy
Years
  • Tiz a fact mon.

Now with all seriousness, due to my gigantic amount of inactivity on Shoddy (lol three weeks), my rating is horrible to say the least (1300's). And despite using the team that originally allowed me to slowly climb up in the 1st place, It didn't seem to work anymore,. damn the dynamic nature of the Platifail metagame ;__;

Another problem I saw with all of my former teams was the fact that they were all well balanced which doesn't mean anything nor work anymore this generation/metagame, and only the teams that seem to work are offensive ones.

It seems you have to fight "fire with fire", so this is an attempt, probably mediocre, at a half-decent offensive team.

Team At A Glance

Swampert **Amoeba @ Leftovers
    Relaxed Nature (+ Def - Spe)
    Ability: Torrent
    236 HP/ 216 Def/ 56 SpA
    - Stealth Rock
    - HP Fire
    - Ice Beam
    - Earthquake

Leading because it's the best one here for the job, I was actually surprised how well of a lead it makes at that too. It beats Aerodactyl, Tyranitar and Infernape leads and forces out Jirachi leads. And could really doesn't care too much about having a Choice Scarf Tricked onto it. HP Fire is a good check for dealing with Scizor who get cocky and start Swords Dancing away. 56 Special Attack EVs are filler but justly warranted with HP Fire's use.

Tyranitar **Rock @ Leftovers
    Careful Nature (+ SpD -SpA)
    Ability: Sand Stream
    236 HP/ 56 Atk/ 216 SpD
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk
    - Brick Break
    - Crunch

Truly incredible special wall and now a staple on nearly all my teams, 400 HP and 478 Special Defense allow it to take hits so well that even a Timid Heatran's Earth Power can't land a 4HKO after Leftovers recovery. ResTalk as I need a status absorber and Tyranitar needs recovery, this also stops the likes of Cresselia and Rotom from statusing it and thinking they have won. Brick Break to break any screens the aforementioned and any Azelf think they will be able to set up and for hitting Heatran. Crunch for dealing with the Psychic types, the Defense drop it offers also helps win stall wars sometimes.

Rotom-H **Blaze @ Choice Scarf
    Modest Nature (+ SpA - Atk)
    Ability: Levitate
    188 HP/ 124 SpA/ 196 Spe
    - Trick
    - Discharge
    - Shadow Ball
    - Overheat

Secondary revenge killer, provides useful Fighting and Explosion immunity. Trick cripples annoying walls and tanks, Shadow ball and Discahrge for STAB the latter chosen over Thunderbolt as I want to land some paralysis. Overheat to deal with Scizor, Lucario, Metagross, Skarmory, Mamoswine and Breloom which all give me problems. EVs allows it to outspeeds Jolly max Speed Weavile and gets optimal Leftovers recovery for when I get them after Trick.

Vaporeon **Acid @ Leftovers
    Bold Nature (+ Def - Atk)
    Ability: Water Absorb
    252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Spe
    - Wish
    - Protect
    - HP Electric
    - Surf

Provides Wish support for everyone and takes water attacks that Tyranitar can't take that well. Also much needed Infernape and Gyarados counter. EVs maximize defensive potential for taking Gyarados' DD LO Eaerquakes/ Stone Edges and Infernape's Close Combat's which still hurt a lot and can sometimes 2HKO if Rocks are down, 4 Speed are extra but allow Vaporeon to outspeed other Vaporeon and Swampert at least.

Scizor **Smack @ Choice Band
    Adamant Nature (+Atk -SpA)
    Ability: Technician
    100 HP/ 252 Atk/ 156 SpD
    - Pursuit
    - Bullet Punch
    - Superpower
    - U-Turn

Yea I went there, but I was there before Platinum so lol.

Magnezone **Amp @ Life Orb
    Naïve Nature (+ Spe -SpD)
    Ability: Magnet Pull
    40 Atk/ 252 SpA/ 216 Spe
    - Metal Sound
    - HP Grass
    - Thunderbolt
    - Explosion

Steel Trapper for annoying Skarmory and Scarf Jirachi, as well as provide another grass resistance. EVs and Nature allows it to outspeed Adamant Max Speed Scizor.

Probably the only problem that may be apparent at a glance is dealing with broken Salamence, especially of the mixed variety, and probably Machamp can cause a lot of trouble too...

So rate away and thanks in advance!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2009
    What do those Scizor evs do? Just go with the basic 252 attack|200 hit points|56 speed. You get more hp and you speed. What's the point of putting them into special defense when Magnezone always kills it in one shot?

Last edited:

Rhys29

Kakuna=BestWallEver
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2009
    Those Ev's allow Scizor to never be 2HKO'd by 0 investmented Starmie's Surf, or 2HKO'd by Timid LO Gengar's Thunderbolt, and prevents Blissey from scoring a OHKO with Fire Blast. These are my Ev's so I know how they work xp

Beginnings

thx tom-san for banner/avvy
    Years
  • All out Infernape can give you some problems, more likely than not koing 4 out of 6 of your team, DDgyara can cause a few problems, if Rotom is out of the picture, as can SD Scizor. The last two are probably more common, I suggest doing two things:

1. Replace HP Fire on Swampert for Roar
    2. Abuse Roar early in the game to see your opponents team, if Scizor is there keep Rotom out of the game till necessary

Not only will it help you see your opponents team, you'll know more or less, their movesets etc.

As for Gyarados, you could try:

Porygon2@Leftovers
    Bold Nature
    Trace
    252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpA
    -Discharge
    -Ice Beam
    -Recover
    -Thunder Wave/Toxic/Magic Coat

Trace lowers Gyaras attack, Discharge finishes it, Status lets you cripple opponent sweepers etc. etc.

Rhys29

Kakuna=BestWallEver
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2009
    All out Infernape can give you some problems, more likely than not koing 4 out of 6 of your team, DDgyara can cause a few problems, if Rotom is out of the picture, as can SD Scizor.
    Vaporeon easily handles MixApe as well as his Rotom can take out any Gyarados and Scizor. Just because several pokes on his team are weak to something does not make the team actually weak to it. As long as he has one counter to said poke, he is not weak. If he had no pokes that could handle said poke or would all be 2HKO'd by something, then the team is indeed weak.

Noir Lancer

That One Guy
    Years
  • It's my thread Rhys ;__;

But yeah, I'm not Scizor weak when Swampert and Rotom handle it.

I'm not Gyarados/ Infernape weak when Vaporeon and Rotom handle them.

And unfortunately Porygon2 wouldn't contribute much to my team, but thanks for the suggestion nonetheless.

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
  • I can see CB Tar causing havoc with this team due to the lack of a rock resist, allowing Stone Edge/Crunch to blast everything besides your own Tar, who dies to Aqua Tail/Earthquake. I would recommend a Rock Resist, but I can't find a spot for it on your team. The only possible thing I can think of is a Hairymama or Champy>> Tar.

ABYAY

Advancing the Yarzan species
    Years
  • Swampert can only take so much abuse from CBTar before faltering, and since it's a lead, an Explosion will destroy it regardless. Play your opening moves correctly and avoid Explosion/grass moves.

As much as I'd randomly love to say LO Shaymin weak, I won't. It's not like it'll actually appear in the OU metagame in enough matches to deserve a mention. Also, you have Azelf and Rotom to revenge it. Still, just know it can deal a dent.

Very solid team with little of extreme weaks.

Rhys29

Kakuna=BestWallEver
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2009
    He has Swampert, a T-Tar with Brick Break, and Scizor. CB T-Tar is not a problem especially since Swampert is the most stable T-Tar counter in the game.

You lack a heavy hitter on the special side. Switching Rotom's Scarf to Specs could benefit that easily while still sticking to the Specs set.

Years
  • Swampert is NOT the best TTar counter, Hariyama is. If my memory serves correctly, Crunch comes close to a 2HKO on Swampert, and Earthquake may not OHKO bulkier variants. As long as you keep up some residual damage, it can be dealt with by Bullet Punch on McScizor.

Another thing, do your best to get SR down, as you aren't hitting that hard and could do with the extra damage. Helps without your apparent 'Gyara Weak' lol. Although it does help against Mence as you mentioned. One switch in and attack, and it's lost 35% Health.

One last thing, check that TTar's EVs let it 2HKO Latias, because I know you love doing that sort of thing yourself. :D

Solid, mate.

Rhys29

Kakuna=BestWallEver
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2009
    Hariyama only takes less damage from T-Tar's STAB moves. Everything else Swampert resists better (except maybe Ice Beam). The fact that SS doesn't hurt Swampert makes him even better. Hariyama is a very very close second though and I usually use him to counter Tar.

Noir Lancer

That One Guy
    Years
  • What's the bulkiest of Latias, Archer? I'm not very familiar with what people are using on her running now.

Also team is great, it already shot me 100 points up the ladder. I also added Magnezone as I needed a secondary grass resist and something to reliably deal with Skarmory, who is a real pain for me deal with otherwise.

Years
  • 148 HP is standard for the CM Latias, so your current Atk OHKOs that with Crunch. How are you finding Metal Sound Magnezone?

Noir Lancer

That One Guy
    Years
  • I haven't found any use for Metal Sound up to this point, also I'm starting to lose more often now for some reason ;__;

Years
  • I haven't found any use for Metal Sound up to this point, also I'm starting to lose more often now for some reason ;__;
    You've gotta tell us what you're losing to. You don't really have a great answer for Fighting-Types like Heracross and Lucario. Rotom is weak to pursuit and SDLucario's LO Bullet Punch is a 2HKO.

Reactions: .
    Years
  • Eww no it doesnt 2hko.

SD Luke LO Bullet Punch does (27.08% - 32.29%) on his 288hp/250 def Rotom o_o
    Ah, NVE. Facepalm & -Reps self. That'll teach me to do calcs when I'm tired.

I can't see anything else, but Vappy's HP Electric won't OHKO DDGyara until you have SR down and it takes LO recoil, so keep that in mind. Yes, I did double check that, but I'm bound to have made another mistake.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Hariyama only takes less damage from T-Tar's STAB moves. Everything else Swampert resists better (except maybe Ice Beam). The fact that SS doesn't hurt Swampert makes him even better. Hariyama is a very very close second though and I usually use him to counter Tar.

Um, this doesn't prove anything really. If something resist a threat's STAB moves, it's almost automatically a safer option. Hariyama is, at worst, 3HKOed by Earthquake, whereas Crunch can 2HKO with SR support (rare, but still). Hariyama is a better Tyranitar counter overall.

Years
  • Well, given he's go Scizor as well, Swampert will probably make do for taking care of TTar. Just case, it seems reasonable to run 252 HP/Def on Swampert. The SAtk is there for taking out Salamence, but it doesn't guarantee a hit anyway, and they don't generally lead, so it's possible that you'll have SR down and there's always Life Orb recoil.

Noir Lancer

That One Guy
    Years
  • Tyranitar isn't nor ever has been an issue for me.

And the SpA on Swampert also allows for a little more bite on Scizor and Forretress with HP Fire, though I am disappointed in the fact that nearly all Scizor nowadays have caught on and found out CB is clearly superior over SD and using it more, thus HP Fire really has'nt been getting much use....

Oh and my main concerns are bulky fighters, really only Machamp and Breloom who give me major problems, the latter usually always beating me in every match it shows up in. Not to mention the annoying hax abusers AKA as Togekiss and Jirachi.

Last edited:
    Back