• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Platinum Metagame is sick! (OU RMT)

Pokedra

Retired
Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    I've been making this team for a while. After a while of doing EV's and training I finally finished it. Please note this is for Wi-Fi. My team isn't perfect and I could use some adivce.

At a glance

Revenge Killer/Lead

Mesprit@ Choice Scarf
    EV : 96 HP/96 Def/160 SpAtk/190Spd
    Nature : Timid
    Ability : Levitate

Stealth Rock
    Psychic
    Ice Beam
    Thunderbolt

A revenge killer and sets up Stealth Rock off her amazing 443 Spd. Mesprit is sturdy and can take a hit even with no Def or SpD EV investments. After setting SR she switches out and comes back to revenge kill. 190 Spd EV's give me 264 Spd(I'm so lucky got a 31 IV Spd) enough to outrun Base 130's with Choice Scarf.

Physical Sweeper

Gyarados@ Leftovers
    EV : 200 Atk/100 Def/50Spd/160 Spe
    Nature : Jolly
    Ability : Intimidate

Dragon Dance
    Waterfall
    Ice Fang
    Earthquake

I really screwed up the EV's because this was one of the first Pokemon I EV'ed. But it still works pretty good. He comes in with Intimidate and Dragon Dance's. Then he sweeps with Waterfall/Ice Fang/Earthquake.

Physical Sweeper

Kingdra@ Life Orb
    EV : 252 Atk/252Spd
    Nature : Adamant
    Ability : Swift Swim

Dragon Dance
    Waterfall
    Outrage
    Yawn

Kingdra is a monster. With her bulk she can grab a Dragon Dance without dying usually and sweeps with STAB Waterfall/Outrage. Really deadly and Outrage is a wonderful addition which will leave massvie dents in anything not resistant to it. Yawn is quite useful, you can Yawn their Kingdra counter then while they switch out get another Dragon Dance in.

I got my friend to use his JAP Platinum to teach my Kingdra Outrage. That's how I got it on him.

Mixed Sweeper

Salamence@ Life Orb
    EV : 160 Atk/96 SpAtk/252Spd
    Nature : Rash

Brick Break
    Flamethrower
    Draco Meteor
    Earthquake

Brick Break hits Blissey and Snorlax hard. Flamethrower deals with Skarmory and Steel-types as well as Grass-types. Earthquake deals with Rock-types, Steel-types and so on. Draco Meteor will punch throw Bulky waters with its massive power.

Special Wall

Blissey@ Leftovers
    EV : 252 Def/128 SpAtk/128 SpD
    Nature : Calm
    Ability : Natural Cure

Softboiled
    Ice Beam
    Seismic Toss
    Thunder Wave

I took off my old Blissey and had my friend trade me one of his Chansey's from Firered with Seismic Toss. Anyways Calm and 128 SpD EV's gives me 373 SpD which is enough to take many special hits. Seismic Toss is for basic set damage against things resistant to Ice Beam. Ice Beam handles Dragon's and will hit Gliscor for nice damage. I, Thunder Wave fast threats like Gengar, Alakazam and Azelf. Softboiled is for instant healing.

Physcial Sweeper

Heracross@ Wide Lens
    EV : 252 Atk/252Spe
    Ability : Guts

Stone Edge
    Megahorn
    Close Combat
    Swords Dance

This thing is dangerous. I usually attack straight off the bat but if possible I Swords Dance. With one SD he was rip through teams easily. Megahorn/Close Combat are excellent STAB moves and Stone Edge hurts Salamence and Gyarados. Wide Lens boosts his accuracy and makes Megahorn and Sonte Edge more accurate.

Please NOTE this is a Wi-Fi Team not a Shoddy Team so some of the EV sets aren't the standard ones but they work for me.

Last edited:

Walrein

Banned
    Years
  • ~No Outrage and Draco Meteor on Salamance? Why? A X2SE ThunderFang does 130 base damage, while a neutral Outrage does 180; the only Water-type resisting teel is Empoplen, which is taken care by EQ. So Outrage/Flmathrower/Draco Meteor/EQ.
    ~Yawn Kingdra...I must say I liked that!
    ~Why no SpD EVs on Blissey? Bold is also inferior to Calm on Blissey. Since you cant change EVs in Lv100, replace it with Weavile, as you have a glaring Gengar weakness; Weavile can also revenge Kill Cresselia, in case you don't want to risk STAB Psychic striking Heracross.
    ~Life Orb>Wide Lens for Heracross.
    (Folks, what that a proper rate?)

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Gyarados@ Leftovers
    EV : 156 HP / 108 Atk / 100 Def / 144 Speed

Dragon Dance
    Waterfall
    Taunt
    Stone Edge

You might want to just make this the standard bulkydos, so at the very least you can shut down slower leads with Taunt, so you know you can actually DO something productive when leading.

The above ev spread is a less messy ev spread in general and does the same thing you are trying to accomplish with yours. You need some hp evs too.

Rock + Water has great coverage and Gyarados NEEDS its lefties, especially since it is SR weak and will just make this things "bulk" counter productive.

Physical Sweeper

Kingdra@ Life Orb
    EV : 252 Atk/252Spd
    Ability : Swift Swim

Dragon Dance
    Waterfall
    Outrage
    Yawn

Never got fully physical kingdra because its always failed me. Life Orb Mix DD i find to be alot more threatening, but w/e works.

Anti-Sweeper

Mesprit@ Leftovers
    EV : 128 HP/128 SpAtk/252Spd
    Nature : Timid
    Ability : Levitate

Calm Mind
    Psychic
    Ice Beam
    Thunderbolt

Thing is, it doesnt stop threats in their tracks though because without def evs you fail to the metagame, nor it it too reliable because it is kinda "Tar/Scizor/Weavile plz come in and Pursuit me !".

Mixed Sweeper

Salamence@ Life Orb
    EV : 80 Att / 252 sp.att / 176 speed
    Nature : Rash

Roost

Flamethrower
    Draco Meteor
    Brick Break

Thunderfang is an awful move and most bulky waters are defensive so they take lol damage from it and it gets outdamaged by Meteor even when fang is super effective lol. Speaking of which, Meteor is 100% needed to beat the physical walls. Also Brick Break >> EQ so you can get the 2hko on special walls such as blissey. 176 speed evs (280 speed) beats neutral Lucario. Roost is better on this set because it helps with Stealth Rock + Life Orb recoil so you can stick around longer.

Special Wall

Blissey@ Leftovers
    EV : 128 HP / 252 Def / 128 SP.AttNature : Bold
    Ability : Natural Cure

Softboiled
    Ice Beam
    Thunderbolt
    Thunder Wave

If you can, Seismic Toss >> t-bolt since it is Blisseys best way of hurting anything and so you dont auto lose to anything with sub.

Consider getting a Calm Blissey and giving it the ev spread 252 DEF / 176 SP.DEF / 80 SP.ATT. This spread helps alot with powerful special attackers (~20% more sp.def durability) such as specs gar, specs luke, np sub p-z and what not whilst only losing 6% physical durability, all the aformentioned special threats can 2hko bold blissey with their respective moves. Definately worth the investment imo.

Physcial Sweeper

Heracross@ Wide Lens
    EV : 252 Atk/252Spe
    Ability : Guts

Stone Edge
    Megahorn
    Close Combat
    Swords Dance

<3, Life Orb is cool too.

Comments in bold.

Immediately the first thing that jumped to me was you lose pretty badly to any tyranitar version due to no rock resist and status (especially sleep) isnt kind to you either.

Solving both these problems would be shoving a rest talk Machamp >> Heracross.

Next problem i see is no stealth rock or residual damage, it should be a crime to not have some sort of it.

Your team is slow so if something goes wrong you will get swept kinda easilly.

Something like Scarfing Mesprit with Stealth Rock/Psychic/Ice Beam/T-Bolt would work and would give you a revenge killer and handle stuff like Infernape alot better that what you currently have, in addition to setting up the rocks.

Alternately, I was thinking scarf tenta would work too >> mesprit with Hp Electric/Ice Beam/Hydro pump/T-Spikes and the additional speed may help it revenge kill more and still gives you residual damage. It also may help Gyarados sweep better, for example a poisoned vappy wont be walling you much for long. Its just a metter of getting hp electric though, due to wifi.

Last edited:
    Years
  • On Gyara, you can remove evs, you know that?

On Kingdra, you have 4 evs left.

Alright, disregard that Frosslass entirely.
    Blissey NEEDS the defence. It's not an option. And Gengar is a revenge killer, not a sweeper. Frosslass is wrong imo

Life Orb is an option, but then you're running a risk of missing with two out of three of your moves.

Walrein

Banned
    Years
  • I already mentioned Weavile. Not only it's fast, it can also revenge-kill +1Spe Tyranitar, as well as various Ghosts, whom you cannot strike for SE damage. While Psychic does OHKOP Gengar, Shadow Ball/Focus Blast/TB/HP Ice Gengar is going to leave massive holes in your team, dealing plenty of damage to Mesprit. Thus I belive it;s betterto have a quick way to eliminate Gengar before it can attack, and even if it's Scarfed, an HP Ice or Shadow Ball-locked Gengar is stil an easy prey.

On Gyara, you can remove evs, you know that?

Blissey NEEDS the defence. It's not an option. And Gengar is a revenge killer, not a sweeper. Frosslass is wrong imo

Life Orb is an option, but then you're running a risk of missing with two out of three of your moves.
    Did I say otherwise? Calm, 252 Def/80 or 40 SpA/178 or 212 SpD. Do you realise SpecsLuke can 2HKO a Blissey with no SpD EVs with Aura Sphere? So does SpecsZam with Focus Blast.

Last edited:

Pokedra

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    ~No Outrage and Draco Meteor on Salamance? Why? A X2SE ThunderFang does 130 base damage, while a neutral Outrage does 180; the only Water-type resisting teel is Empoplen, which is taken care by EQ. So Outrage/Flmathrower/Draco Meteor/EQ.
    ~Yawn Kingdra...I must say I liked that!
    ~Why no SpD EVs on Blissey? Bold is also inferior to Calm on Blissey. Since you cant change EVs in Lv100, replace it with Weavile, as you have a glaring Gengar weakness; Weavile can also revenge Kill Cresselia, in case you don't want to risk STAB Psychic striking Heracross.
    ~Life Orb>Wide Lens for Heracross.
    (Folks, what that a proper rate?)
    I'm removing Thunderfang for Brick Break.
    Yawn Kingdra can Yawn the switch-in.
    Even with no SpD EV's my Blissey still has 302 Special Defence which is about enough for me.

On Gyara, you can remove evs, you know that?

Yeah but it would take ages and he's Lv 100 anyway. I think I'd break the Item Clause if I had three Life Orbs wouldn't I and Stone Edge misses too much without Wide Lens.

I already mentioned Weavile. Not only it's fast, it can also revenge-kill +1Spe Tyranitar, as well as various Ghosts, whom you cannot strike for SE damage. While Psychic does OHKOP Gengar, Shadow Ball/Focus Blast/TB/HP Ice Gengar is going to leave massive holes in your team, dealing plenty of damage to Mesprit. Thus I belive it;s betterto have a quick way to eliminate Gengar before it can attack, and even if it's Scarfed, an HP Ice or Shadow Ball-locked Gengar is stil an easy prey.

Did I say otherwise? Calm, 252 Def/80 or 40 SpA/178 or 212 SpD. Do you realise SpecsLuke can 2HKO a Blissey with no SpD EVs with Aura Sphere? So does SpecsZam with Focus Blast.

Good point I'll give Messy a Scarf and Stealth Rock.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • Blissey needs special defense EVs or it suddenly becomes Snorlax-like when it comes to sturdiness. Froslass is right - you need Calm Nature and some special defense EVs. Otherwise stuff like special Lucario and even some Heatran (and I don't mean ones with Explosion) can beat you. That's bad.

And btw, nobody uses item clause. It's pretty useless to be honest. Wide Lens on SDCross is fine though since it's Jolly (meaning it won't be OHKOing stuff like Forretress and Suicune).

Pokedra

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    Comments in bold.

Immediately the first thing that jumped to me was you lose pretty badly to any tyranitar version due to no rock resist and status (especially sleep) isnt kind to you either.

Solving both these problems would be shoving a rest talk Machamp >> Heracross.

Next problem i see is no stealth rock or residual damage, it should be a crime to not have some sort of it.

Your team is slow so if something goes wrong you will get swept kinda easilly.

Something like Scarfing Mesprit with Stealth Rock/Psychic/Ice Beam/T-Bolt would work and would give you a revenge killer and handle stuff like Infernape alot better that what you currently have, in addition to setting up the rocks.

Alternately, I was thinking scarf tenta would work too >> mesprit with Hp Electric/Ice Beam/Hydro pump/T-Spikes and the additional speed may help it revenge kill more and still gives you residual damage. It also may help Gyarados sweep better, for example a poisoned vappy wont be walling you much for long. Its just a metter of getting hp electric though, due to wifi.

Yeah I Scarfed Messy and gave her my Stealth Rock TM. I delted thunderfang for Brick Break and made Messy my lead. Thanks for your help :)!

Pokedra

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    Years
  • https://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1703294&postcount=81

Don't listen to this guy. It's funny how he said "If you move all Blissey's HP EV's to Special Defense, you get 651 HP and 369 Special Defense, lowering your defenses just for a little more special survivability" without even remembering that Blissey needs to be calm >_>

So... yeah. Calm Bliss it is.
    Look. If you run Calm over Bold, you lose 11 Def. That's it. If you run a little HP and SDef, you have what is essentially the same, but can take Special Hits better.
    Either way, Calm and 252 Def / 80 SAtk / 176 SDef is the best.

The Hero Without a Name

Da bee dee da ba mouse...
    Years
  • Look. If you run Calm over Bold, you lose 11 Def. That's it. If you run a little HP and SDef, you have what is essentially the same, but can take Special Hits better.
    Either way, Calm and 252 Def / 80 SAtk / 176 SDef is the best.
    lol... that's what I was saying, that the guy in the post didn't know what he was talking about.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Salamence doesn't benefit from accuracy > power in the case of MixMence. Thus you should automatically know Draco Meteor and Fire Blast are better choices than Dragon Pulse and Flamethrower. Outrage is an option over Brick Break if you want to hit really hard, though it can screw up your chances of a sweep via confusion nipping you in the butt in situations at times. Still, it's a powerful option worth considering.

I dislike Wide Lense on Heracross; there are better options. Life Orb is the best universal option, though you may want to consider Expert Belt or even Flame Orb (Adamant Lucario is stronger than you with Jolly, so Flame Orb can make a difference). Toxic Orb is another option, although these Orbs are only reccomended if you want to be faster and stronger than Lucario. It eats away at Hera's HP very quickly, so be cautious.

Thunderbolt is terrible on Blissey. Seismic Toss or even Flamethrower are better options. Flamethrower is cool for hitting Scizor, Lucario, Metagross, and even Heracross switch ins pretty damn hard. Yawn is terrible, drop it for either Sub or go Life Orb and Hydro Pump (with a better nature of course) to ensure you OHKO Skarmory and Hippowdon. Gyarados really likes Stone Edge over Earthquake to hit foe Gyarados and even Zapdos harder than Ice Fang would. Earthquake doesn't add much; I guess it hits Tentacruel (lol) and Metagross harder, but Stone Edge / Waterfall smacks them pretty hard.

Pokedra

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    Salamence doesn't benefit from accuracy > power in the case of MixMence. Thus you should automatically know Draco Meteor and Fire Blast are better choices than Dragon Pulse and Flamethrower. Outrage is an option over Brick Break if you want to hit really hard, though it can screw up your chances of a sweep via confusion nipping you in the butt in situations at times. Still, it's a powerful option worth considering.
    Good point. I'll replace Dragon Pulse with Draco Meteor but I prefer Flamethrower over Fire Blast.

I dislike Wide Lense on Heracross; there are better options. Life Orb is the best universal option, though you may want to consider Expert Belt or even Flame Orb (Adamant Lucario is stronger than you with Jolly, so Flame Orb can make a difference). Toxic Orb is another option, although these Orbs are only reccomended if you want to be faster and stronger than Lucario. It eats away at Hera's HP very quickly, so be cautious.
    Stone Edge misses alot and Wide Lens will nearly make Megahorn 95% accurate.

Thunderbolt is terrible on Blissey. Seismic Toss or even Flamethrower are better options. Flamethrower is cool for hitting Scizor, Lucario, Metagross, and even Heracross switch ins pretty damn hard. Yawn is terrible, drop it for either Sub or go Life Orb and Hydro Pump (with a better nature of course) to ensure you OHKO Skarmory and Hippowdon. Gyarados really likes Stone Edge over Earthquake to hit foe Gyarados and even Zapdos harder than Ice Fang would. Earthquake doesn't add much; I guess it hits Tentacruel (lol) and Metagross harder, but Stone Edge / Waterfall smacks them pretty hard.
    Thunderbolt takes care of Gyarados and Skarmory. Yawn is useful to me, if I predict a switch I Yawn the switch-in and usually he'll switch out giving me another Dragon Dance. Look I can't change a nature instantly this is WI-FI!

Nah for me Earthquake works fine and hit Tyranitar and Metagross hard which i have trouble with.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • For me, I've always found the best three moves on Gyarados to be Earthquake/Stone Edge/Waterfall. Tangrowth is beating you anyways, so Ice Fang is basically for Celebi (who carries Thunder Wave a lot now) and a more accurate way to crush Salamence. Without Earthqauke, Magnezone, Metagross, and Jirachi can all hit you with an electric attack to bring down Gyarados. Not good. Ice Fang just isn't that useful for me.

As for the item on SDCross, Life Orb I wouldn't recommend since you still miss kills on basically all of the important stuff. Heracross with an Adamant nature is a much better user of the item. Flame Orb damages Heracross way too much, especially given SS and SR. I actually agree with Wide Lens in this case since the extra power of LO isn't going to help a whole lot in this case. Your team doesn't have a lot of longevity as it is (especially when LO is put on Gyarados, which is a must really).

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Stone Edge misses alot and Wide Lens will nearly make Megahorn 95% accurate.

Fine, but the lack of power will be noticable =[

Thunderbolt takes care of Gyarados and Skarmory. Yawn is useful to me, if I predict a switch I Yawn the switch-in and usually he'll switch out giving me another Dragon Dance. Look I can't change a nature instantly this is WI-FI!

Yawn sucks, especially since opponents can keep switching. Plus, they may as well have a Sleep Absorber to take it, and then crush you. You don't need to change the nature, you could just add Substitute to increase longitivity.

Thunderbolt doesn't OHKO either (IIRC). Flamethrower handles Skarm, and if Gyarados thinks about staying in, Thunder Wave incapitates it. Flamethrower helps with those common Hera/Luke/Meta switch ins.

Nah for me Earthquake works fine and hit Tyranitar and Metagross hard which i have trouble with

Okay on Metagross, but Tyranitar is hit harder by Waterfall than Earthquake.

Pokedra

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    Fine, but the lack of power will be noticable =[

Yawn sucks, especially since opponents can keep switching. Plus, they may as well have a Sleep Absorber to take it, and then crush you. You don't need to change the nature, you could just add Substitute to increase longitivity.
    Maybe...a little but Swords Dance covers it. Yawn works good if they switch because you can Dragon Dance.

Thunderbolt doesn't OHKO either (IIRC). Flamethrower handles Skarm, and if Gyarados thinks about staying in, Thunder Wave incapitates it. Flamethrower helps with those common Hera/Luke/Meta switch ins.
    I got a new Blissey which is not Lv100 yet but EV'ed. It has Seismic Toss instead.

For me, I've always found the best three moves on Gyarados to be Earthquake/Stone Edge/Waterfall. Tangrowth is beating you anyways, so Ice Fang is basically for Celebi (who carries Thunder Wave a lot now) and a more accurate way to crush Salamence. Without Earthqauke, Magnezone, Metagross, and Jirachi can all hit you with an electric attack to bring down Gyarados. Not good. Ice Fang just isn't that useful for me.
    I got Earthquake on Gyara. Ice Fang has been useful to me. A lot.

As for the item on SDCross, Life Orb I wouldn't recommend since you still miss kills on basically all of the important stuff. Heracross with an Adamant nature is a much better user of the item. Flame Orb damages Heracross way too much, especially given SS and SR. I actually agree with Wide Lens in this case since the extra power of LO isn't going to help a whole lot in this case. Your team doesn't have a lot of longevity as it is (especially when LO is put on Gyarados, which is a must really).
    Yeah Swords Dance covers the power lost by Life Orb.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • Pokedra said:
    I got Earthquake on Gyara. Ice Fang has been useful to me. A lot.

Care to provide some examples? Right now your Gyarados is Gyarados/Zapdos fodder (Zapdos to a lesser extent though) and Mesprit gets worn down really easily. Given how it 6-0s your team with Mesprit out of the picture (very likely too given SS, SR, Pursuit, etc.) it's probably not very wise to give it a free switch-in.

Pokedra said:
    Yeah Swords Dance covers the power lost by Life Orb.

Not really, actually. I was saying that with Adamant, Life Orb with Swords dance doesn't give you enough power to overpower stuff like Skarmory and Forretress. Honestly, I find Adamant LO SDCross with para support or an Agility pass (the latter being ideal, but bullet Punch is an obstacle now) a very effective set-up for it.

Pokedra

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    Good points Anti. I'll see, I'm playing some Shoddy now and if I get heaps of Gyarados trouble yeah maybe I change the team.

Maybe LO SDCross with para support or an Agility pass is great for better for setting up but I like this set and it's worked pretty well for me besides I can't just change it. Else I'll have to Re-EV and stuff.

Noob123

I shall be Light Swampert
    Years
  • Most of your Pokemon is fine however I recommend Roost on Salamence and put Hydro Pump on Kingdra.

Back