• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Platinum or HeartGold/SoulSilver

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2014
    Hey this is my post and I'm kind of curious of the majority of people's opinions. Which do yo u guys perfer Pokemon Platinum Version or Pokemon HeartGold or SoulSilver versions and why?

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2016
    As much as I like Platinum, I really enjoyed Diamond more for some reason. When it comes to the Sinnoh region, nothing quicker comes to my mind than my Diamond save which I still have, incidentally.

Platinum is a really good game, with a lot of story depth and a much improved Pokédex than that we had originally in Diamond and Pearl.

Heart Gold and Soul Silver didn't do it for me. I could never get in to them. I played Gen II to death back in the day, so I suspect that's why. There wasn't enough uniqueness and change to excite me I guess.

My votes goes towards Platinum. :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    HeartGold and SoulSilver, definitely. I'm a huge fan of GSC, personally, and it was great to finally see some remakes for them. SoulSilver was the one I got first, but purchased HeartGold, too, eventually. Loved each and every minute that they had provided, and the fact that they had Pokémon following you made these moment even better. Well, at least for me! Platinum was excellent, and I really did enjoy its story-line, but it just didn't give me this nostalgia effect that HG and SS seem to have given.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
    Hard choices ;___; I mean, HG/SS are phenomenal remakes of a great generation, but Platinum's the game I got completely hooked on. It fixed what was wrong with Diamond and Pearl, and brought with it some awesome plot changes. (The Distortion World basically won my heart, and so did Looker)

I'm gonna have to go with Platinum on this one, but don't get me wrong, both choices are amazing in their own ways.

Years
    Thinking it over, I would say HGSS. It's easy to get consumed in what it has to offer, has lots of intense fights (Whitney, Clair, Lance...) and fun side quests and what not (Game Corner, Pokéathlon, farming berries with the pots, etcetera). And it has what rivals BW2 for the best post-game in the series (same Battle Frontier as Platinum, Kanto, a Safari Zone with 12 areas and object arrangement, and much more). There's also the touch screen menu which is really nice.

I do like Platinum though, but nowadays i've been enjoying HGSS more. (More than I thought I did for a while, haha, this is coming from someone who GSC and RSE are the least favorites of.) However, HGSS stinks big time for training Pokémon, while Platinum has the Vs. Seeker, although these are just my preferences.

Years
    Though I like Gen. II and am not fond of Gen. IV, I prefer Platinum to HGSS. Even though HGSS had better Gym Leaders and Pokemon League members (though Cynthia >>>> Lance) plenty of enjoyable features--Pokemon following you around, the Pokeathlon, Voltorb Flip/Smeargle Slots, and lots and lots of post-game content--Plat. had the better storyline and areas. I loved how Sinnoh had a variety of environments, from a snowy mountainous region to harsh and sandy deserts to foggy hills to rainy plains. The Distortion World is also one of my all-time favorite legendary homes, and Old Chateau is by far the creepiest place I've ever visited. (Though BW2's Strange House is pretty creepy, too.) Lastly, Plat. has a lot of Pokemon I love that I can also get before beating Cynthia whereas most the ones I like that are available in HGSS aren't obtainable unless I transfer them/the necessary items or beat Lance.

EthanAG

I enjoyed Pokemon Diamond, It was my first 4th Gen Games before i started collecting them all.
    I enjoyed the champion, Cynthia actually a quite hard balanced champ!.

Years
    I loved Pearl and Platinum was even better, now im playing a rom hack Perfect Platinum which is better than platinum.
    Just waiting for the 3ds emulator...

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Platinum was the game I've put the most hours into out of the Pokemon franchise but HG/SS is also really good. In my opinion, HG/SS was more interesting though. The storyline of Platinum was boring at times and seemed endless. For example the beginning of the game until about the fight at Eterna City with the Galactic Grunts, was just long and tedious. Not much happened to really get me into it. Things picked up with the Distortion World though, that was some cool stuff. :)

HG/SS was great in every factor. New features, was more exciting, had a second region to explore, it just had more opportunities/stuff to do over Platinum. so yeah hg/ss > platinum, although they're both good :]

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    HeartGold for nostalgic purposes and the fact that they rejuvenated my favourite region and first ever game brilliantly. Platinum was a fantastic game too, but even with a new region it just didn't stand a chance against HG for me, haha.

Years
    As much as I loved Pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver, Platinum has to take the cake on this one. I like them both the same, but I have had Pokemon Platinum for a longer time, so that's why I'm choosing it. The story line is probably one of the best story lines I have seen in a Pokemon game up to this date, it's so dark. I won't go into detail, you'll have to play it for yourself. The music in the game is also some of my favorite of all time, especially Cynthia's theme song. Speaking of her, this game contains my favorite Pokemon League Champion, she's pretty good in my opinion. She really puts up a fight when you face off against her for your first time, unless you have a way to counter all of her Pokemon that is, which I didn't on my first try. I'd probably choose Pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver if I had one of them before Platinum. :P

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2021
    As much as I loved the original GSC, I have more happy memories of playing DPP than I ever did with HGSS.

Years
    D/P/Pt was really unique and a huge jump from R/S/E graphics-wise so I can't deny that I was very impressed at the time and played for many hours, but.. I'll probably go with HG/SS. The follow-me feature was one I'd hoped we would receive for a long time and Johto had my favorite group of starters so it was hard to beat. The battle and PC animations were way sluggish for me but its pros outweighed the cons, especially compared to D/P/Pt.

So HG/SS first with D/P/Pt not too far behind!

Raging Umbreon

Pkmn Trainer
    Years
    I'd have to pick HG/SS over D/P/Pt.
    The nostalgia factor and having the lead pokemon in your party follow your in game character sprite made me enjoy the game more.

atomtanned

Delinquent
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2022
    Honestly to me they're totally different types of games? Platinum was a fantastic game (and I think the best "third" game compared to other generations). HGSS I loved as well but I know partially because of how fun it was to revisit a game I had played a decade earlier. It's easier for me to compare, say, BW to DPP because they're both supposed to be totally new installments (Platinum all the way, in that case).

If you've never played either before, I think Platinum (NOT Diamond/Pearl) has one of the best storylines in the entire franchise, but HGSS has a massive post-game which is really nice. You can't go wrong with either.

The Serious Table

Can't touch this
    Years
    Let's take onto consideration my play time.

Pt: 236hrs and 34mins
    HG/SS: 567hrs and 12mins

Uhh I'd have to say HG/SS. But then again these play times would be significantly shorter if I replayed them, but whatever

Back