• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Play! Pokemon Bans Lysandre's Trump Card!

Years
  • https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/lysandres-trump-card-banned/

https://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Lysandre's_Trump_Card_banned_from_TCG_competitive_play

Basically, the card has been banned for making it so there are no or minimal repercussions for discard effects on powerful drawing cards, allowing for devouring through your deck at an insane pace.

It's also the first card to be banned since Wizards had control of competitive play and banned Slowking back in 2003.

And it was banned in Japan, too, per the Bulbanews link. Their ban kicks in on the 20th, however, rather than the 15th.

Any thoughts?

Years
  • Even as a kinda newbie to the TCG i can see that being broke to hell and back. but jesus christ banning it was not something i thought the TCG would ever do again.

Really, it's not that it's inherently broken so much more so than that it makes already powerful cards game-breaking by essentially negating the built in drawbacks certain cards have.

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2017
    Since I'm also relatively new to the game itself (have always collected, but never played until a couple weeks ago) I have never even seen the card being played, so I watched a video and I think it explains in detail quite nicely how broken it was and the decks the were stupidly good because of it.

First 7mins are about Lysandre's trump card, rest of the video is about previous card bans and is pretty irrelevant.
    Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2017
    Since I'm also relatively new to the game itself (have always collected, but never played until a couple weeks ago) I have never even seen the card being played, so I watched a video and I think it explains in detail quite nicely how broken it was and the decks the were stupidly good because of it.

First 7mins are about Lysandre's trump card, rest of the video is about previous card bans and is pretty irrelevant.
    Spoiler:

Apparently I don't know how to embed youtube videos. lol

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • I'm glad this is getting banned since I'm so used to seeing people spending like 5min on their first turn trying to draw as much of their deck as possible and then being able to repeat that process each turn because of Trump Card.

Tek

Years
  • Dude.... That blows so hard. One of my favorite decks relies on drawing the hell out of cards and recycling with lysandre's trump card. At least I didn't buy three playsets of the card yet. Sad day (._.)

OliveCopper

Captain of Olive Kappa
    Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2016
    Lysandre's Trump Card is banned worldwide, but WHY DIDN'T THEY BAN MEWTWO-EX?!?!??!?? I mean, seriously! No player with Mewtwo-EX has ever lost a single battle! It's that overpowered. X-Ball will Knock-Out even the hardest counter. And with the option of Psydrive, Play! needs to ban him! Seriously!

Spoiler:

Back