• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Player/Naming Rival- Which ROM?

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
    Ok so without going into great detail(as I tend to do), I'd like to ask up front- If I wanted to do a game where you have a rival you can name that is the opposite gendered PC, which ROM would you recommend?

FireRed- Has a namable rival, but not a gender opposite ingame.
    Emerald- Has a gender opposite rival, but not nameable.

None of the other generations are like this either, so I'd like to know if there is a way to rename the gender opposite rival in game. Maybe a script or routine or something?

Thanks in advance!~

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
    Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    I did some research on this when I first got here. The thread shows you how to write a custom routine for FireRed that will allow you to rename basically anything (in game, from a script. From the intro is a lot harder) https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=333784

That being said, it's portable to Emerald as well, so it doesn't matter what ROM you pick - whichever you choose you're going to need some custom ASM and scripting to achieve this.

C me

Creator of Pokemon League Of Legends
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2021
    Gender Opposite would just use checkgender and a female sprite. Easier than ASM xD

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
    Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    Gender Opposite would just use checkgender and a female sprite. Easier than ASM xD

This is what emerald does, afaik. This still wouldn't allow the player to give the rival a custom name though - you definitely need some ASM for that.

C me

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2021
    I just meant use FireRed

daniilS

busy trying to do stuff not done yet
    Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2024
    Then you still can't name an opposite gender rival without ASM.

C me

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2021
    Haven't played FireRed but I'm sure you can name Gary/blue like in rby, so assuming you only want one rival just replace him.

daniilS

Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2024
    Have you read the question? She wanted a rival of the opposite gender. Gary has a fixed sprite and thus a fixed gender.

C me

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2021
    Yeah replace his sprite with a female one, wasn't that obvious from my first post?

daniilS

Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2024
    And what if the player chooses to be female?

C me

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2021
    Then have a male sprite too and just hide the same gender sprite

daniilS

Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2024
    And how would you do that in the intro without ASM?

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years
    Isnt there something like this already made?(the asm) I remember reading about it and thinking it would be pretty cool to try out. I could be totally wrong though.

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
    Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    Isnt there something like this already made?(the asm) I remember reading about it and thinking it would be pretty cool to try out. I could be totally wrong though.

There might be a patch for no rival naming, but the graphical hacks for changing FR to be like this would be far more complicated. You'd need to make the game load a different OW in the naming screen, change the sprite (and maybe palette) for the rival and make it load a different set of default names. So I'd say that's a minimum of three hooks, more likely 4. I remember when doing my intro that intro hacking on that level was non-existent.

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years
    There might be a patch for no rival naming, but the graphical hacks for changing FR to be like this would be far more complicated. You'd need to make the game load a different OW in the naming screen, change the sprite (and maybe palette) for the rival and make it load a different set of default names. So I'd say that's a minimum of three hooks, more likely 4. I remember when doing my intro that intro hacking on that level was non-existent.

Hmm i guess i must be going insane then....
    Cause i jnow about the no rival name. But i coulda sworn there was a hack that did this very thing..:(

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
    Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    Hmm i guess i must be going insane then....
    Cause i jnow about the no rival name. But i coulda sworn there was a hack that did this very thing..:(

I could be wrong though. :P I don't remember there being a public patch that does this, but individual hacks might have.

Back