• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

playing as the opposite gender

Years
    No I always play my gender. Never really considered playing a girl character. Plus for the first few games you had no choice :P

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I think it's more common for men to play as women than for women to play as men.

But yeah, I've played with the boy on occasion. It's not common for me because I like the girls more than the boys in general though.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    I mostly play as the female character, mainly because I can't think of any interesting names for the male character. I do switch them around though after every new game. :)

gvgisdi

Officially addicted to Crystal
    Years
    Sometimes I play Pokémon or other games with female character, but that's probably because I like boys more than girls.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    Why not? there are many other game where the protagonist are woman. So I think if you are a boy, playing as girl in video game isn't rule breaking.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I usually switch between genders, it's a bit refreshing to play as a different character for re-plays.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I usually play as my gender (female) for the first run of a game, then male for the second, then whichever I feel like.

Raizhu

the end
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2012
    I haven't done that so far. I nearly played as Hilbert in White because Hilda's hair is ****ing terrible strange, but I eventually went with her anyway.

TheEvilDookie

I'm just a teddy bear
    Years
    I've thought about it before... Then I strongly considered my sexuality and realized how gay that would be especially if a friend saw me playing. >_<

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I thought about it a few times when I was gonna do a run on Leaf Green but decided against it in the end as I thought it would lose its novelty rather quick to be honest.

Years
    • Age 27
    • N/A
    • Seen Mar 23, 2013
    To be honest, the only Pokemon game I've ever played as a girl on was R/S/E. None of the others, for some reason.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I do it about half of the time. No real rhyme or reason to it, I just spontaneously decide to tell the Professor that I'm a girl at random intervals. XD

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I ALWAYS do, simply because the females always have much better designs than the males. I don't particularly like any of the male character designs so I always play as a female. Leaf from FR/LG in particular is my favorite palyable trainer and I always enjoy playing as her.

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2014
    I see the character as me, and for something to be played and invested for hundreds of hours, I'd rather my sprite display to be of my gender. Exception to this is for some games with 3D models in which case I'd rather stare at the back of the opposite gender and because males are usually ugly.

Last edited:

Truality

Left for good
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    I've played as the opposite gender (female) a few times. The first was out of curiosity, and the second was recently because I kind of restarted the game often and got bored of the male character. Nothing important or hideous behind it, though. xP

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I play with both genders, it doesn't really matter to me which one most of the time. In Black, I started as Hilda because I thought she looked a lot cooler than Hilbert. I named her Ginny, after Ginny Weasley =D

Back