• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Game Journal] Playing games on Mars

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I will add CSS later, but just wanted to make this the table of contents for my gaming journal for the year. I hope to complete five games this year, and am starting with Super Mario Sunshine.

Table of Contents
    Super Mario Sunshine: Part 1

I will link it and add CSS tomorrow (maybe the CSS part will come on Tuesday or Wednesday when time allows).

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Super Mario Sunshine Part 1: Welcome to Isle Delfino

Day 1: January 1, 2022

So it had been the first day of the New Year (last Sunday actually). My wife bought the Super Mario 3D AllStar collection for me for Christmas. I had a lot of free time the week prior to the New Year so I earned seventy stars and we were finally able to defeat Bowser. It was a big accomplishment for me, because I wasn't able to beat this game as a kid.

So we beat that big wartortle and now are on a much needed vacation to Isle of Delfino. However, once we get there we are put in jail. What in the world!? So apparently, there is a metal-suit imposter who has been causing havoc around town. The super-chill residents put me in jail, but luckily some random scientist left his water-device, FLUDD, on the island so he was there to keep me company.

Anyways, luckily like every main protagonist in any shounen anime series, our story doesn't end in boredom. We re freed from prison and now it's our job to clean up this putrid island. There is sludge every, and I mean every. Even on the clock tower there is sludge. So we head to Bianco Hills to uncover more shine spirts. We fight Petey Piranha and quickly free the citizens from his tyranny. Then we end up going to Ricco Harbor and simply destroying that squid monster there. 10 stars later and that was my play-through for the day.

I played some yesterday and will update it in part 2 tomorrow.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Super Mario Sunshine Day 2: A Roller Coaster Can't Do Nothing to Me
    Date: January 8, 2023
    Play time: around 4 hours
    Enjoyment of the game: Enjoying a lot

So at this point we've reached about 10 shine sprites and at the end of the play through today I would have around 20 shine sprites. After defeating Petey Piranha and the big squid in Ricco Harbor we tackled some more shine sprites. Fairly uneventful, a lot of collecting red coins and making it through obstacles courses. They were fun, but nothing to write home about.

One of the biggest battles was when we reached Gelato Beach. I loved the name. Sounds like a dream palace to go, a beach made out of ice cream. I didn't find any ice cream but what I did find was a multitude of those ducks which was also pretty funny. So, we make it to the beach and go through the sand castle. Then, for the nxt start there is this big caterpillar that I thought we destroyed when we knocked him off the tower. Him sleeping up there was terrifying enough, but lo and behold, when we returned to the beach this guy was running after us full force.

So after a fifteen minute battle we bested the monster and we were able to get the shine sprite as well. At this point we were around fifteen shine sprites into it, which I was happy about. During this time we finally earned ten blue coins and apparently we could turn those in for shine sprites, which was cool. Also, it was fun giving fruit to people and getting blue coins. So basically for the fifteen shine sprites we gravitated between these three worlds: Bianco Hills, Gelato Beach, and Rico Harbor.

After 15-16 shine sprites we see this crazy bowser-looking boat. This thing was hideous. We learned that the princess has been kidnapped yet again, and this time by this crazy Mario look-alike figure. So we go over to the side of town with the cannon and confront him. He escapes on his boat which speeds off when we run up to him. Luckily, the cannon works and shoots us over to Pinna Park. At this point we follow the look-alike Mario and have a really awesome battle with him on the roller coaster. This look-alike Mario has this huge bowser machine that he is hiding inside and we must destroy this machine. So we are riding on this roller coaster and using our FLUDD device to destroy bullet bills which this guy is shooting at us. While avoiding these bullet bills, we also find small rockets on this roller coaster. We are able to shoot these rockets at the huge bowser machine and quickly are able to incapacitate this look-alike Mario.

Sweat off my brow, I can take a deep breath. This guy seems defeated and we can return the princess back to Isle Delfino. Boy, were we wrong. Supposedly, this Mario imposter isn't a cooler looking version of Mario at all. It's some twerp who bad mouths us and calls Princess Peach his "mom". I thought this part was weird as a young kid playing this game, but now as an adult I find it even stranger Anyways, we make it back to Isle Delfino and get a couple more shine sprites (defeated that big squid again) and that was the end of the playthrough for that day.

Experience

I've really been enjoying Super Mario Sunshine. I remember playing Super Mario 64 on the Nintendo 64 and then waiting years to play Sunshine. Now that I have the Super Mario 3D AllStars game I have played both games back to back.

One of the things that I love the most is that the camera moves better. This, for the most part, makes gameplay easier. There were times in Super Mario 64 where I needed to see something or had to make it through some narrow part but because the camera wouldn't adjust well I would have troubles. I am thankful that the camera is more "flexible" in Sunshine. I don't want to ramble too much, so I'll keep it brief. I've enjoyed the story so far, and hope to continue playing. I've really enjoyed the boss fights. Fighting Petey piranha, bowser Jr., the big squid, and Wiggler have been really enjoyable. A lot of the other missions though are somewhat boring. I feel like Super Mario 64 did a better job at having more enjoyable missions to get stars. However, I am still early on in my journey through Sunshine so hopefully my mind will change later on.

Overall, though I've enjoyed the game and hope to be able to play once more this week before I leave for vacation.

Back