• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Playing Japanese HGSS

Novus

The English Kiwi
Years
  • Hey,

I was wondering if anyone who can't actually read Japanese is going to import either Heart Gold or Soul Silver from Japan and play it.

Personally I am going to at least try, learning as I go along and translating it while I play. It's either try to play it in Japanese or wait till it's released in english which means waiting till next year, and I know which one I'd choose.

Just wondering if anyone else is going to.

-Novus-

Years
  • I think I will import it too.
    I also played Pokémon Sapphire in japanese and I didn't had any problem with that and since I played the original Pokémon Gold a long time, I don't think it HG and SS will cause me any problems.

Munch Dog

Growlithe!
    Years
  • I'm also importing, but I know absolutely no Japanese. I've played the crap out of G/S/C when they originally came out so I'm pretty sure I can make my way through it.

Novus

The English Kiwi
    Years
  • I have an R4 so I can test hacked DPPl so I think I'll probably get it on that and then buy it properly when it comes out in the uk.

-Novus-

The Fourteenth Doctor

The little... Daleks
    Years
  • i dont understand japanese but i'll be downloading the rom as soon as one is available to download, most of the dialogue would probably be similar to the original games (rival outside of elm's lab) but with some extras (safari zone etc), i will be playing it on my cyclods until an english rom is available then i'll be switching to that, and i will be buying the opposite game to whatever i download (e.g. if i download heart gold i will buy soul silver and vice versa) when they are released in the uk

Last edited:

The Fourteenth Doctor

The little... Daleks
    Years
  • i think the dialogue from elm, the rival, mr pokemon and oak will be the same as the original, it will just be new features such as the safari zone and items received during the game that will be different, and also the building where you meet the kimono girls will be different, i will just play the japanese rom on my ds and try to guess what they're saying, there will be a walkthrough on how to play the japanese version after the rom has been out for a while anyway so i will wait for that if i have to

Kyo Wolf

HG/SS Kanto Lover
    Years
  • I'm getting it as well. And to be honest, for launguage complications, storyline will be nearly same I'm guessing (Except for seeing the other rival and etc as just proven by Hiroshi below) and as for "which move means what in battle?", you can just look up the DPPt moveset for the Pokemon somewhere and look at that the whole time, since the moves will be the same. And if storyline is different and we get stuck or something, a walkthrough of the game will begin to be uploaded on youtube as soon as it comes out I bet, so really, I don't believe launguage will cause too many complications.
    Pretty much I know because I played PMD2 in japanese and didnt have much trouble with understanding what to do.

Last edited:

Novus

The English Kiwi
    Years
  • ^ ^ Exactly. As the above post proves, there are obviously going to be dialogue differneces and completely new events and places full of new dialogue.

And regarding the mentioned Youtube walkthroughs and written walkthroughs, someone's still going to have to play it and translate it, just they'd have to do it without walkthroughs.

-Novus-

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2016
    Written walkthrough (NOT VIDEOS), so you won't destroy yourself the enjoyment totally, when you're stuck or when you want to know what item you picked up+some information website to realize what move your Pokemon is trying to learn etc will solve all your problems.
    Plus, the English version is coming out on approximately April (not that long, really), and there will probably be some fan translations by the time. I already played a few Pokemon games (if not at least 1 from each gen...Green, Crystal, FR, Platinum...maybe something from RSE too) and it was kinda easy.

Kyo Wolf

HG/SS Kanto Lover
    Years
  • Playing Japanese HGSS

I wholeheartedly disagree and disregard the above quoted.

(Not that I can - but the above screenshot shows the possibilities of change no less.)

And unlike Pokémon handheld RPGs, with winging Mystery Dungeon you've just missed a whole storyline - that's a bigger deal than this. (Not that, if you've played the first game, it was so drastically different.)
    Well, as for that, I played the first and couldnt wait for second so I played through in Japanese, of course I played through the english as soon as it came out as well to know the storyline, but as for the complications for stuff I did have to know whether I was supposed to talk to a certain npc or something to continue and activating certain events and etc, which the possibility of something like that coming up in HG/SS could be very likely, especially with there being two rivals in the game instead of one I guess..didnt really think of that possibility since it is a remake, not saying I didnt know of the extra storyline events but, didn't think of that, so disreguard my saying it would be easy to get by, wasn't thinking about that possibility.
    But, anywho, about the storyline, hopefully a fan-translation will still be made, but we might have to wait till English release to get that. And, my main point in the other post was playing through the game in japanese is possible and hopefully there wont be a point where we have to know japanese to get by it...but as for storyline, that gives us the reason to buy the English version as well instead of just saying "I played the Japanese version already, why play it again?"
    At least, that was my point I meant to make anyway. Sorry if it didn't sound like that. >_<
    And sorry if I sound repetitive a bit in that paragraph...happens a lot and I'm trying to get better at it.

Years
  • I am going to wait until the English version is released. I don't really see a point in buying the Japanese version if you don't know Japanese. Though I do watch videos on youtube of Japanese versions before it comes out in English, so I can see the graphics and stuff.

venom12

Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    I will play japanse hgss i dont see any problem with this, i finished few games in japanse that is not hard, so im waiting for this just few days.

Years
  • I played gsc probably about 100 times and I know the game like the back of my hand. The only things I won't know are the special events and the attacks but I'll figure it out.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I'm definitely waiting for the UK release, why fork out about £50 of my cash on game that I won't understand. I'm not going to enjoy a game that I'll miss the story of. I may have played Silver to death, I still don't want to play a game that I'll miss the plot of.

Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2024
    Of course I'm importing! I did Japanese at college for two years, and I've been self-learning since I left college. I imported DP and Platinum and had no problem at all. It's pretty easy and there's not much you're missing out on, pokemon games are generally the same and this will be even easier considering its a remake.

Back