• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Playing to Win

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
  • stock-footage-a-young-man-playing-video-games-on-joystick-gamepad-and-pushing-buttons-like-nuts-trying-to-win.jpg

Ultimately at a certain degree, we all play to win at video games. However, how much do you value playing to win at video games, compared to just casually playing? Do you prefer to play more casually, than play competitively to win?

TY

I dont value it much, as there is always someone better than me.

I am a competitive person though, i love to win, but i learn from my defeat if that happens. In RTS games i just watch the replay to see what i did wrong, and try to avoid those mistakes in the next game. Some games i dont even care if i win or not (Borderlands 2 for instance).

Thergox

Average Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2014
    Winning is my "Casual". The most fun I ever get out of a game is usually putting all of my intensity into it trying to win. Of course, I lose sometimes (Especially with first-person shooters), but that just entices me to play more. I try not to be an addict. . . Sometimes.

Years
  • I admit that, without a doubt, I play to win. On FPS games, anyhow. If you've ever seen me play Call of Duty, Combat Arms, or anything similar, then most times I'm playing to get 1st place.

For free-roam games such as Just Cause 2, I tend to be a completionist (i.e. all guns maxed, all missions, etc.). Most times I never actually DO complete it, but it's just a kind-of "drive" that makes me play the game more.

Years
  • I am definitely a very competitive gamer. I play to win and anything that gets in the way of that is gonna lose. If I lose fairly, that's fine, well played. If I lose unfairly, then I start to get annoyed depending on how unfairly, but I don't end up in a complete state of rage. I just love winning and hate losing.

Arron13

Calm, Relaxed, but Competative
    Years
  • Winning is a must when i play video games. I am very competitive and I try to win everytime. If I play Call of Duty I try and do good individually, but my ultimate goal is to win the game for my team. the worst is when I play FIFA though. If i lose when I play that man I get mad.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Depends what the game is: something like Call of Duty, I never play to win because I can't win - I don't play enough. So I like to have a laugh (always go for grenade launcher + RPG - most fun you can have).
    And then again if it's a game like Forza 3 which I quite like but I'm not so sure about the other person, I might go easier on them to get them into it.

FIFA on the other hand - I'm uber-competitive, even against my brother. And it's like the graph of reasons for losing I saw on Twitter says: 1% the other guy is better than me, 99% bs :P

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
    Years
  • It depends on what game i'm playing. I used to play every single game competitively but there are some games that I just play for fun now. Though the only game I take seriously as of right now is DOTA 2.

KriegStein

Nuclear Reactor
    Years
  • Depends how "winning" is defined. Usualy I just do stuff and fun. You know travel endlessly in the wilderness of skyrim watching the scenery.
    However in some games I take a more competive aproach for example fighting games. In these ganes I can spend hours trying to master a certain combo that might or may not help me in the next duel.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    I play to troll, thats all I can say, imagine picking the so called worst character and owning that guy, or purposely making the same moves as the other guy, so I guess its more like play to have fun than play to troll.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    I play to win, but above all, I value skill and dedication over simply winning.

There are so many variables that can turn the tide on a fight. In Smash Bros, I play no items Final Destination. In Combat Arms, I use fair, GP only items. In Call of Duty, I use the M4A1.

If I beat you with an overpowered weapon, then obviously I'm going to win. Duh. Beating me with a method or an item or a character that is blatantly overpowered doesn't mean you're better than me. It just means you have to take the easy way to win, and that's just pathetic.

tl;dr: Skill/being legitimately good > winning.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • I always play to win. I really don't like not winning. I practise a lot on fighters just so I can hold my own against friends.

But its mainly in shooters, MOBA and MMO where I get really competitive and hate losing.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I guess answering this question depends on how you define "win". By total game completion? Be perfect characters? By obtaining all items? Or being the best?

For me, I get way more satisfaction from level grinding than I do by completing a story line. So I guess I play to win lol-- but only if the means you use to win (legendary weapons / armor / whatever) are well earned. I like knowing how much effort I've put into a game and using that to beat other people.

Mr. Magius

  
    Years
  • As much as I am a "casual" gamer at heart, my impatience with video games leads me to only be satisfied through winning. Or, as Thergox said, you could just say that winning is how I play casually.

In a battle/challenge scenario, if I don't "win," even if the outcome doesn't necessarily alter the events in the game, I find myself resetting to ultimately win. Since I'm impatient and therefore despise grinding, this happens regularly. It's a bad habit and I hate it, but it's worth the feeling of loss I get when I...lose, lol.
    On the other hand, in COD games I don't play to get 1st place or even defeat the opposite team; to me, "winning" is simply getting a positive K/D, haha.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'm not the type of person who likes to prove that they're a better gamer than everybody else, so I don't play competitively at all. I don't play to win. When I do, it always feels like I'm doing some sort of chores, which is not a good feeling. Whenever I play games, I do it just to have fun. If I find a game to be boring, then I usually just quit the game and find another game that suit my tastes. xD

Last edited:

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
    Years
  • Depends on the game. For fighters, shooters, and the like oh god yes. Other times I just do casual.

I speedrun a few games, so I sometimes play to win...against RNG.

Years
  • Depends what game I'm playing. In games like Mario Kart 7, I undoubtedly play to win. But in games like Brawl, I just play... because it's fun. :)

Back