• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Playing with just 1 Pokemon

The Scientist

PKMN Scientist/Mathemagician
Years
  • It's easy because if you give that pokemon an exp. share it'll grow even faster than it does since you're only training one pokemon..

That's not how EXP. Share works. It doesn't increase the base EXP yield after winning, it just distributes a portion of the awarded EXP to the other party Pokemon.

If you are only leveling one Pokemon, though, it'll surpass the level obedience limit and start disobeying you soon after the first/second badge... right?

zerwey

:3
    Years
  • It's easy because if you give that pokemon an exp. share it'll grow even faster than it does since you're only training one pokemon.

The Lucky Egg is the way to go if you want more exp.

And to defend against types that you're weak against, teach your Pokemon some moves that will trump the types that trump its own type (I taught Infernape ThunderPunch and Grass Knot to deal with Water and Flying types).

pokerus34

Labyrinthine Rhapsody
    Years
  • I tried to beat the game in Ruby with one Pokemon = Successful!

I used Wurmple and evolved it into a Beautifly, then my Beautifly dominated until Elite Four! :)

P.S. I even catched Groudon! :)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Beating Hoenn with a Beautifly? WHoa. I could do it with Zangoose maybe... it's my fav Hoenn pokémon.

I get the urge to play Jotho with only Feraligatr now. I've heard about lots of others who have done that.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Oh, of course. Swampert would be the ultimate thing. The only weakness it has is Grass, so it could beat Elite4 in Hoenn if it was ... 80+ xD

I'll try!... when I have time and energy.

Mimikyu402

Flareon Master
    Years
  • That's not how EXP. Share works. It doesn't increase the base EXP yield after winning, it just distributes a portion of the awarded EXP to the other party Pokemon.

If you are only leveling one Pokemon, though, it'll surpass the level obedience limit and start disobeying you soon after the first/second badge... right?

that only goes for traded pokemons , pokes with your Id will obey you no matter what level they are on, thats why I always trade over eggs for soloruns on DP

BUG♥CATCHER★BREEZE

Lurker from the deep
    Years
  • You have just given me a very good idea :P

*runs to find Ruby*

I HAVE to know if you did it!

(The Ultimate Magikarp Challenge... heh, I might make a thread (eventually) >D)I tried Platinum with Sunkern but it is near impossible (nearly broke my DS in rage!)
    Magikarp on Platinum wouldn't be AS hard (apart from the ungodly long storyline), but once you defeat the Elite Four, at least you have Bounce!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Yeah..when I first started Pokemon back on Blue and Yellow I would play through it with only one Pokémon...I actually think it was a lot easier than playing with 6. I know I at least played through it with Blastoise and I think also with Pikachu (although I had a really hard time with Brock).

I think a tougher challenge is to go through it with just one type of Pokémon. I tried it once with Grass-types in Hoenn...got to Winona and was training to battle her, and eventually got bored with the game and put it away. When I finally picked it up again, I wanted to start a new game. I've done it before, though, usually with Water Pokémon, and I think I've done that on the first three gens. I'm pretty sure I also had an all-Dark team in Hoenn which was awesome! ;)

zerwey

:3
    Years
  • Yeah, it is actually easier playing with just one Pokemon, as that Pokemon becomes very powerful and much higher-leveled than all the other Pokemon in the area (as long as you fought every Trainer, unlike some people xD).

Years
  • I get the urge to play Jotho with only Feraligatr now. I've heard about lots of others who have done that.

Ice Punch, Crunch, Surf, Earthquake...

I've only done Water starter solo runs. Squirtle-Blastoise was fun.

Piplup-Empoleon was way too easy.
    Heck, if Kricketune could Surf, I could solo run with one.
    I beat Roark with a Kricketune (Sing + Fury Spam Cutter).

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • I've never tried this before, but it sounds fun!

However, it's just that I'm more used to having a team effort when tackling such challenges as the Elite 4.

Back