• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PlayStation Vita General Discussion Thread - Sony's New Handheld Coming 2/22/12!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
Years
  • I'm surprised that there isn't a thread for this considering that it releases in the Western world next month, so here it is!

dVH0N.jpg

This thread is for discussing anything and everything about the Playstation Vita, Sony's successor to the PSP. The following is a primer on basic information about the Vita for any of you who are just now finding out about it:

Release date and MSRP:

North America – February 22 @ $249.99 (wifi model) / $299.99 (3G model)
    UK – February 22 @ £229.99 (wifi model) / £279.99 (3G model)
    Europe – February 22 @ €249.99 (wifi model) / €299.99 (3G model)
    Australia – February 23 @ $349.95 (wifi model) / $449.95 (3G model)

Info:

• Vita features control improvements over the PSP including a multi-touch capacitive touchscreen, two rear touchpads, dual analog, front and rear cameras, and gyroscopic motion sensing
    • OLED screen for brightness and clarity and powerful quad-core processor & processing unit for graphics that approach console level
    • Optional 3G model for online gaming on the go. 3G services provided for a monthly fee by AT&T in the US and Vodafone in Europe
    • The XMB interface from the PSP & PS3 is replaced by a touch-friendly interface which introduces new social features like Near and Party, which enables cross-game chat
    • Vita uses flash cards for games instead of the PSP's UMD format. Vita has no internal memory; rather, exorbitantly-priced proprietary memory cards are available in 4, 8, 16, and 32 GB flavors (32GB not available in Europe). Some games will require a memory card to play. All retail games for Vita will also be available for download on the Playstation Store for those who prefer digital distribution.

Games releasing at or near launch (in North America at least):

yDZ72.jpg

Army Corps of Hell

2nTey.jpg

Asphalt Injection

EoJLV.jpg

Blazblue Continuum Shift II Extend

peeu1.jpg

Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention

O4pK0.jpg

Dynasty Warriors Next

Y17ag.jpg

FIFA Soccer

ZrBhM.jpg

Formula 1 2011

nTjch.jpg

Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational

Yy3wg.jpg

LittleBigPlanet

9XULd.jpg

Little Deviants

yw0KL.jpg

Rayman Origins

BDntj.jpg

Reality Fighters

K61VJ.jpg

Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen

vbGTM.jpg

Touch My Katamari

WdxNA.jpg

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3

LCQeX.jpg

Uncharted: Golden Abyss

thm8Z.jpg

Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour Edition

qSAb0.jpg

Wipeout 2048

Not pictured (no box art)

Gravity Rush (PERSONAL NOTE: I THINK THIS GAME LOOKS AWESOME AND YOU SHOULD CHECK IT OUT.) Note: PSN only in Europe :(

Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus

Silent Hill: Book of Memories

Street Fighter X Tekken

Warrior's Lair

PSN-only:

Escape Plan

Super Stardust Delta

See a game on this list that's not going to be available in your territory? Good news! Vita is region-free, meaning you can import! The only drawback is that Vitas are limited to one account per user, meaning that you likely won't be able to purchase DLC for other-region games because you generally need to create a PSN account from the game's region in order to use that region's Playstation Store. We can't have it all, eh?

And if any of this information is incorrect, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

Last edited:
    Years
  • I have been meaning to make this thread for a while, but I kept forgetting! D:
    Thank you Kaga! :D

I am looking forward to the PSV, it is going to be much better than the 3DS, in my opinion. I think it is due to the PSV's games and functionality appealing to my gaming side more.
    I am not sure what games I will get, depends on the offer when I get it, but I really want:

Blazblue Continuum Shift II Extend
    Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen
    Fifa 12 (because portable FIFA with good quality and gameplay is orgasmic for me)
    Uncharted: Golden Abyss

Wipeout would be nice but I have a billion different versions of them game! XD​

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
  • Hey, no problem :D I'm really excited for the Vita and want to get the word out about it, so I'm just pitching it wherever I can, heh. WHERE'S MY CHECK, SONY?

Vita is pretty much everything I could want in a handheld from a tech standpoint and has an extremely solid launch lineup; for the sake of not encouraging system wars/fanboyism in this topic I'm going to avoid any direct comparisons to 3DS, but I can't deny that like you said, Vita just meshes more with my personal gaming preferences.

Nice choices for what you're picking up, this is probably going to be my list:

Dynasty Warriors Next
    Gravity Rush
    Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational
    and an expensive 8GB card because Sony is the devil.

Can't think of a launch game that I don't want to play other than Little Deviants, though (maybe Wipeout because I suck at it, it's like trying to drive a car with my teeth.) I might ebay this stuff as soon as I'm done with it and pick up Shinobido and Disgaea.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Can't think of a launch game that I don't want to play other than Little Deviants, though (maybe Wipeout because I suck at it, it's like trying to drive a car with my teeth.) I might ebay this stuff as soon as I'm done with it and pick up Shinobido and Disgaea.

What's wrong with Little Deviants? I know it's gonna be one of those games that are just used to test the Vita tools, but it still looks pretty fun at times. I'm certainly looking more forward to it than any augmented reality game to be honest.

Also, why no love for Soundshapes? It looks really unique and stylish.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
  • I have much love for Soundshapes, it just doesn't have a release date at this point so I had to omit it from my list of launch window titles. About Little Deviants, I just don't think I'm the target audience. It looks like an extremely halfhearted attempt to create some kind of mascot character, which is apparently already imploding as Sony just shut down BigBig studios. This isn't to say that it'll be a bad game, of course. I guess they're really riding on people picking up the Vita for Uncharted at launch.

Years
  • I am really excited for full Fifa on the move.
    I was reading up about the gameplay and it isn't a crappy port from the other consoles, it is the same as the single player on the PS3 and 360.
    That shows how much power this thing has! :DDDD​

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
  • Hype!

I may actually purchase FIFA just for the touch controls, part of the reason I've always sucked at sports games is that I was never able to get down the art of toggling players. It always felt like there was too big a disconnect between what I wanted to happen and what was happening on screen, so if it's going to be possible to move, pass, and shoot all with fingers in the game, I'll seriously consider getting it.

Renyui!

ascender
    Years
  • Faaaaaaaaaaa- totally want Disgaea 3 and Blazblue. Also when it comes out, Persona 4 The Golden, a remake of one of the better jrpg's.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
  • Updated the OP with a few more launch window titles!

I will be getting it regardless, so I can do a review of it if you wish! :P
    thisthreadisturningintothecaptainkageshow

Sure, I really want to know how it plays. And yeah.....it's kind of dead XD I guess the Vita really is going to bomb when it releases here, hah.

Years
  • I reckon it looks awesome, but I'm not getting it at launch for two reasons.

1. If it's anything like the PSP, there majority of good games won't be out for ages.

2. Everyone outside the US is getting absolutely shafted with that price. Not paying $365 (wifi)/$470 (3G) US for it, sorry. There'll be a revision at some stage for a decent price. I might get that.

Don't get me wrong, it's pretty much exactly what I'd ask for in a handheld console and I praise Sony's engineers, just not their sale department.

Kano Shuuya

→ you're here, aren't you?
    Years
  • My weird self is really only getting the Vita for Persona 4 The Golden, whiiich.. isn't even a launch release. So I doubt I'll be grabbing it when it first comes out, though once I have one, I know there are more games that I'll pick up at random. xD

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
    Years
  • Day one. Or as soon as I have enough saved up.

Huge sony fanboy, so it isn't a suprise. Loved the psp, and games like wipeout 2046 having ps3 crossplay is just so awesome!
    It's basically everything one could want in a handheld. like a swiss army knife.

Last edited:

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
  • Hey Fabster, is there any way for you to edit the part of my OP title from "Sony's New Handheld" onward into the actual thread title? It's only showing up in the title of the post for me.

I reckon it looks awesome, but I'm not getting it at launch for two reasons.

1. If it's anything like the PSP, there majority of good games won't be out for ages.

2. Everyone outside the US is getting absolutely shafted with that price. Not paying $365 (wifi)/$470 (3G) US for it, sorry. There'll be a revision at some stage for a decent price. I might get that.

Don't get me wrong, it's pretty much exactly what I'd ask for in a handheld console and I praise Sony's engineers, just not their sale department.

Yeah, I feel for you Aussies and Euros. Sony's pricing system is massively screwed up, and they've been known in the past to price hardware the same numerically across regions without taking into account exchange rates. We thought that the PS3 for $599USD was insane when it was announced years ago, but that doesn't compare to the 599 Euros/599 AUD that they probably charged.

I may be hyped, but there's no ignoring the really flawed stuff Sony is doing in regards to price. If Vita underperforms it's partially Sony's own fault for this kind of thing =/

kuzronk

Banned
    Years
  • I want one for the games/online but mum probily won't buy it for me
    I think the PS vita will sell like a PSP

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I'm not going to get a ps vita anytime soon. Instead, going to pick up a cheap psp and catch up on some games.

Years
  • My weird self is really only getting the Vita for Persona 4 The Golden, whiiich.. isn't even a launch release. So I doubt I'll be grabbing it when it first comes out, though once I have one, I know there are more games that I'll pick up at random. xD

This. I'm going to wait for The Golden, or, if by some miracle Namco decides to bring it over, Tales of Innocence R, to come out before I even think about getting one.

Years
  • Yeah, I feel for you Aussies and Euros. Sony's pricing system is massively screwed up, and they've been known in the past to price hardware the same numerically across regions without taking into account exchange rates. We thought that the PS3 for $599USD was insane when it was announced years ago, but that doesn't compare to the 599 Euros/599 AUD that they probably charged.
    From memory the PS3 was $900-1000 AU.

I'm not going to get a ps vita anytime soon. Instead, going to pick up a cheap psp and catch up on some games.

I only bought my PSP last year and I have a good library to work with. I'd definitely recommend it. On the other hand, most consoles are limited for the first year after launch as developers work out what they're doing.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
  • How worth owning a PSP is strongly depends on what kind of games you're into. It's heaven for JRPG lovers, merely okay for most other genres, but really bad for any genre relying on dual analog setup like FPS or games that require heavy camera use because of the lack of a proper control scheme. The few first-person games I've tried on PSP usually had features like auto-aim, which kind of defeats the purpose, and other things which should have been really good like Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker were kind of painful to play. So yeah, YMMV with the PSP. Vita at least fixes the control issues.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back