• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Please enter your name

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
  • Please enter your name

Names are important. They're a key way in which characters are identified and referenced, and simply put, when you name something, you're more likely to grow attached to it. When you name a soldier in XCOM after your dog and then they die, you'll probably feel it.

What do you normally name your main characters? Or, in the case of other characters, what types of names do you tend to go for? Do you ever use your name when naming characters?

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • Dartanian seems a popular one for me sometimes.
    Or Aaron

Recently I have seemed to develop a liking of the name Carter as well.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I've been using Alli in all my games for years now, haha. I think I might have a few as Ludger or Allison, though.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    Arylett. This is only for games with character customization though, and only if the character I'm playing as can look SOMEWHAT like me.

If I am forced to play as a male, as is the case with most games, I'll just keep the default name. In general, I prefer to keep the default names.

And if there are none, I'll just make up some names on the spot or look up random ones on the internet that I think look and sound pretty.

Bay

Years
  • I pretty much name the main characters Bay if given the chance. If I have more than one character to name, I would pull a name from a favorite book/tv show/movie/etc. I'm pretty lazy when it comes to coming up with creative names.

GanguEevee

~Calamity Trigger~
    Years
  • When I'm forced as a male, it's either Crysy, Mirai, or Mirai T. if I have enough characters. Although Mirai and Mirai T. is more gender neutral than anything. If I can be a female, then it's, most of the time, Crystal, which is my real name. If it's in a world where it's mostly Japanese culture, and/or use Japanese formal things, like -chan, than it's Kristia Miruki.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Either Megan, Megana, or Axeliira. It's always those three unless there's a special circumstance.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • I keep the defaults for most non-Pokemon things, except Fire Emblem, where I will use Yveltal (shortened form of old PO server username).

Pokemon I usually use my real name on my first run of each game, then switch it if I reset ever. I have been known to use Yveltal or Inigo (shortened form of PO forum name) on my repeat runs.

As for rival names, I either stick with the default (Blue will be Blue in every run ever), or put the name of someone I'm angry at (often my sister).

Early

☆ My, how the Earth does move... ☆
    Years
  • In Pokemon and Animal Crossing, I always name my character(s) after my internet aliases; I've used my real name only once on my very first Pokemon Diamond playthrough, then eventually deleted that file due to something dumb that my younger self did and started over with a different name. In games like the Legend of Zelda and Earthbound, though, I tend to just give the protagonists their canon names since I can never think of anything else for them that would be fitting, haha.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    When I was a kid I used to usually use my name. But after a while I didn't care to do that and started to use random stuff for names, though random stuff has always been there to some degree, since it was not uncommon to have multiple save files/characters and so needed more names. In NIS games a lot of the generic units get whatever slightly amusing name or whatever name that looks alright atm that comes up in the random name generator.

And then some time ago I basically just started using the names Stella and Elsa for most of my characters. Though my Xenoblade Chronicles X character's name is Chianti, and I do like it.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I've said something about my naming conventions in the Pokemon related threads but oh well since its a machomuu thread definitely worth the post so:

Adding xxx just an "x" and a typical FPS style name such as xxxBFGAK47xxx or xRipNTearUrGutsx is definitely the best way to go. And dont forget the numbers too. such as xSuperShotGunne2k16x

For naming the male and/or female protagonist or avatar, I always use any name that would start with J since its the first letter in my RL name so its a little bit of self insertion.

For certain online games that involve making several characters such as in Action RPGs like Path of Exile, i name my character based on the kind of build or spec that I planned out such as JustExplosions (Explosive Arrow spec), BuffMeleePlz (any build that involves using Cyclone (whirlwind esque skill) since its currently the most overused end gamemelee build), 2Edgy4GGG (naming a potentially overpowered spec that GGG or Grinding Gear Games', the game's developer might nerf in the next patch). I used to try naming my online RPG characters quite seriously such as trying to make names that would fir with the lore and setting of the game but now it just takes too much time and to be fair, its just a lot more fun to use a name that references how said character will play.

For online accounts, basically whatever fits my current trend of online aliases.

For certain MMORPGs where gender is account or character based and not class based, i always play as the female avatars of said MMOs so i usually name the female avatars after characters from various media but with extra stuff added in order to make the IGn possible to begin with. I'd love to name my female wind mage "Tatsumaki" as a reference to One Punch Man but dozens of people really much use the name in anything.

Miranda Roach

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2016
    I would usually name my character Dot,., sometimes the default name or not name at all since I am not a creative person

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • If there's a default name, I use that almost exclusively. I prefer when that's the case. I

When there isn't any sort of default or suggested name, I usually just go with "Cherrim" and it works out okay. The only games I don't use that for are Pokemon since it'd be weird to train a Cherrim with that name. I use my real name for them! (Erica, or エリカ now that I mostly just play in Japanese. :P)

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • I always name my female characters Kaela if it's a modern/future setting or Cereza if it's in the past. No idea why.

Male characters tend to go by Kameken or my own name, unless I have a specific vision for them or if the setting calls for a theme name.

Somewhat related story, I was really disappointed to find out that Codsworth in FO4 could say my name, but only spelled in a slightly different way. After I'd already named my character.

Shhwonk

always with the games, etc.
    Years
  • I name my characters something stupid and funny, because I love laughing everytime I see their name. It's usually something vulgar/immature hahaha

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I used to use Slayr, but now I always use Nolafus. If the game is really strict with their character limit, then I'll go with Nola, but I haven't played a game that won't allow Nolafus in a while, so I'm good.

If the game requires me to name multiple things, then I'll usually go with some random names that pop into my head, or some character names from my stories.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2018
    I take names far too seriously. {XD} If the MC has a canon name, I'll use that. I'll actually Google search the game to find out if there's a canon/popular fanon name. If not, I'll make something up.

For female characters, I tend to reuse the same name over and over until I get bored of it, then come up with something new. It's actually kind of interesting to go back to an old game I haven't played in ages and realize, "Oh hey, last time I played this I was still using ___!"

For male characters, I come up with a name on the spot, and it's not always easy. When I'm stuck for too long, I just say "Screw it" and go pick something off a list.

If I have to come up with a lot of names (Disgaea I'm looking at you) I tend to end up playing with sounds and letters until I come up with something that looks vaguely namelike and fits the character. (A few of my characters in Disgaea: Shin, Aire, Mesta, Chizuru, Kieran, Mina, and Blizr/Winzr/Helzr, named so as to be able to tell their elements at a glance.)

I never use my real name. (It's boring. :P)

Back