• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Please help me! Team needs HELP!

umbreonofdarkness

Part-time Breeder, Trainer
Years
  • I started off an earlier thread with my first thought of a team. Because it got completely changed I'm going to tell everyone what I was advised to do.

Team at a glance

Let us begin...

Gliscor@leftovers
    252hp/4def/252Spe
    Jolly

Stealth Rock
    Earthquake
    Roost
    Taunt/U-turn

Gliscor, obviously, will set up stealth rock. Earthquake is Gliscor's main way of attacking, as it recieves STAB bonus. Roost is to heal Gliscor. U-turn is for attack, then switch. Taunt allows him to beat slower leads at setting up stealth rock.

Gyarados@life orb
    252 Atk/4 Def/ 252 Spe
    Adamant

Dragon Dance
    Aqua Tail
    Stone Edge
    Bounce

Gyarados has an adamant nature to boost his attack, and along with life orb and Dragon Dance, it gives Gyarados a whopping great big attack! Bounce gives gyarados coverage over grass types. Stone edge gives some type coverage too. Aqua tail is Gyarados's STAB attack, and although it has 10% accuracy less than waterfall, it has more damage.

Lucario@life orb
    252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe
    Adamant

Swords Dance
    Close Combat
    ExtremeSpeed
    Crunch

I know that lucario should have bullet punch over cruch, but I haven't got the pokemon that can know it. If I can get it, I will teach Lucario Bullet punch. Settle with Crunch for now. Swords dance is for boosting attack. Close combat is Lucario's Powerful STAB Attack. Extremespeed is for those who resist Close Combat, but who are weak to Extremespeed. Adamant nature and life orb are for the attack boost.

Starmie@Life orb
    4 HP/252 SpA/ 252 Spe
    Timid

Surf/Hydro Pump
    Thunderbolt
    Ice Beam
    Rapid spin

Starmie's Speed is awesome, and combined with it's great type coverage, it is a fearsome special sweeper.Hydro Pump has more power than surf, but surf has more accuracy. It's a risk-reward situation. Hydropump hits= Great! Hydropump miss=free turn for focus punch(NOOOO!!!) Thunderbolt hits opposing starmies and other water types. Ice beam is for dealing with pesky grass types. I needed a Rapid spinner, so that is why I chose rapid spin over recover.

Gengar@Life orb
    4 Def/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
    Timid

Substitute
    Pain Split
    Shadow Ball
    Focus Blast

Gengar will substitue,then pain split. Gengar becomes nearly Impossible to wall, even by blissey. Focus blast is for those who resist Gengar's Pain split and Shadow ball.Timid means Gengar will outspeed most pokemon in OU.

Roserade@Focus sash
    4 HP/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
    Timid

Toxic Spikes
    Sleep powder
    Leaf storm
    Hidden Power Fire

Roserade is able to shut down any pokemon that may try to destroy her by using Sleep Powder. Toxic spikes is there...well... to toxicspikeinate switching pokemon. Her typing means she can absorb other toxic spikes plotted against her. Leaf storm is Roserade's main form of attack, being her STAB. for pokemon strong against grass but weak to fire, hidden power fire is there to destroy them.

So, what do you think?

This is meant as an offensive team, and that's why there are no tanks, walls ect.

Thamks for Reading!

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
    Years
  • I started off an earlier thread with my first thought of a team. Because it got completely changed I'm going to tell everyone what I was advised to do.

Team at a glance

Let us begin...

Gliscor@leftovers
    252hp/4def/252Spe
    Jolly

Stealth Rock
    Earthquake
    Roost
    Taunt/U-turn

Gliscor, obviously, will set up stealth rock. Earthquake is Gliscor's main way of attacking, as it recieves STAB bonus. Roost is to heal Gliscor. U-turn is for attack, then switch. Taunt allows him to beat slower leads at setting up stealth rock.

This is fine.

Gyarados@life orb
    252 Atk/4 Def/ 252 Spe
    Adamant

Dragon Dance
    Aqua Tail
    Stone Edge
    Bounce

Gyarados has an adamant nature to boost his attack, and along with life orb and Dragon Dance, it gives Gyarados a whopping great big attack! Bounce gives gyarados coverage over grass types. Stone edge gives some type coverage too. Aqua tail is Gyarados's STAB attack, and although it has 10% accuracy less than waterfall, it has more damage.

Waterfall is preferred over Aqua Tail because of the better accuracy. Use than instead. I wouldn't use Bounce on this because you're essentially giving the opponent a free turn to set up. Use Ice Fang instead. It's walled by Empoleon, but you have a Lucario, so...

Lucario@life orb
    252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe
    Adamant

Swords Dance
    Close Combat
    ExtremeSpeed
    Crunch

I know that lucario should have bullet punch over cruch, but I haven't got the pokemon that can know it. If I can get it, I will teach Lucario Bullet punch. Settle with Crunch for now. Swords dance is for boosting attack. Close combat is Lucario's Powerful STAB Attack. Extremespeed is for those who resist Close Combat, but who are weak to Extremespeed. Adamant nature and life orb are for the attack boost.

Actually, Crunch is better than Bullet Punch by a long shot. The only thing Bullet Punch is there for is Gengar. Use Crunch for Rotom formes, Dusknoir, somehow slower Gengars, etc.

Starmie@Life orb
    4 HP/252 SpA/ 252 Spe
    Timid

Surf/Hydro Pump
    Thunderbolt
    Ice Beam
    Rapid spin

Starmie's Speed is awesome, and combined with it's great type coverage, it is a fearsome special sweeper.Hydro Pump has more power than surf, but surf has more accuracy. It's a risk-reward situation. Hydropump hits= Great! Hydropump miss=free turn for focus punch(NOOOO!!!) Thunderbolt hits opposing starmies and other water types. Ice beam is for dealing with pesky grass types. I needed a Rapid spinner, so that is why I chose rapid spin over recover.

This is fine, although Surf is better than Hydro Pump if you don't like the accuracy of Hydro Pump. Instead of Rapid Spin, though, you should get Recover to heal off Life Orb damage. If you want to have a Rapid Spinner, you're better off with the Rapid Spinning set (Which by the way lures more Pursuit users than the Life Orb one so Lucario can come in and sweep) and not the Life Orb set.

Gengar@Life orb
    4 Def/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
    Timid

Substitute
    Pain Split
    Shadow Ball
    Focus Blast

Gengar will substitue,then pain split. Gengar becomes nearly Impossible to wall, even by blissey. Focus blast is for those who resist Gengar's Pain split and Shadow ball.Timid means Gengar will outspeed most pokemon in OU.

I don't really see the point in Gengar here, since its main purpose is to beat Blissey. You have a Gyarados and a Lucario, which can come in on Blissey and set up on it.

Roserade@Focus sash
    4 HP/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
    Timid

Toxic Spikes
    Sleep powder
    Leaf storm
    Hidden Power Fire

Roserade is able to shut down any pokemon that may try to destroy her by using Sleep Powder. Toxic spikes is there...well... to toxicspikeinate switching pokemon. Her typing means she can absorb other toxic spikes plotted against her. Leaf storm is Roserade's main form of attack, being her STAB. for pokemon strong against grass but weak to fire, hidden power fire is there to destroy them.

Roserade doesn't fit at all on this team. First of all, this is much better in the lead position, and second of all Toxic Spikes do nothing here. Your team is very fast paced, and poisoning other Pokemon just won't work.

So, what do you think?

This is meant as an offensive team, and that's why there are no tanks, walls ect.

Thamks for Reading!

Comments are bold. I have to go, but later on I might edit this post with what you should replace Gengar for and Roserade for.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Waterfall >>>> Aqua Tail over Gyarados. Seriously, the accuracy really helps (so does the flinch rate, which Aqua Tail doesn't have). A 10-10 ACC-POW swap isn't really worth it.

umbreonofdarkness

Years
  • Waterfall >>>> Aqua Tail over Gyarados. Seriously, the accuracy really helps (so does the flinch rate, which Aqua Tail doesn't have). A 10-10 ACC-POW swap isn't really worth it.
    Okay, I will have waterfall over aqua tail.

Comments are bold. I have to go, but later on I might edit this post with what you should replace Gengar for and Roserade for.
    Okay, I'll get rid of gengar and roserade. I now need another special sweeper. I'm afraid starmie can't do it all by itself you know! I did start with the rapid spin set on starmie, but I was told to change it to life orb to work with gyara. Surf is going onto starmie.

Crunch on Lucario, then.

Gyarados will now know

Dragon Dance
    Waterfall
    Stone edge
    Ice fang

Thamks for the advice, but do you know any suitable replacements for roserade and gengar that work with my team. Also, should I use taunt or u-turn on Gliscor. Need advice please please please!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2011
    For a special sweeper, give scarfed Houndoom a try. He has decent power and overheat, and he's great for luring out Starmies who think they're faster. I know he's a bit unorthodox, but he never lets me down. Try out this set
    Overheat
    Dark Pulse
    Flamethrower
    Pursuit/Will-O-Wisp

The last move is mostly filler. Pursuit hurts ghosts trying to switch, while Will-O-Wisp can cripple sweepers like Dragonite or Gyarados that try to come in on a fire attack.

As for Roserade's replacement, Breloom is a great choice. He doesn't need any help from the team, and can demolish teams if allowed to set up. The standard set is:
    Item: Toxic Orb
    Focus Punch
    Substitute
    Spore
    Seed Bomb

You can also run Mach Punch/Leech seed over FP/Seed Bomb as a surprise, but this set is better for an offensive team.

I hope this helped!

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Online now
    I disagree that Roserade doesnt do anything.

1. It handles Starmie well (you need to revamp that ev spread 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 sp.def calm w/ leftovers; rest, spikes, hp fire, energy ball) who otherwise owns this team. Rotom too.
    2. Hazards help Gengar beat Blissey which in turn helps Starmie thus opening up sweeps.

Gyarados destroys you so id put offensive Suicune over Starmie imo.

umbreonofdarkness

Years
  • Right then. I'm keeping roserade back, but I'm using dark Azelf's suggested EV's nature and move set. I will try scarfed houndoom, althought I'm considering togekiss or porygon-z( it has the highest non ledegendary spA). About suicune, well I really can't get one because I defeated it by accident on soulsilver If I get one I will use it but I can't at the moment sorry!

Time to destroy the world with my new team! MWHAHAHAHA!

Thanks for your help everyone.

Asrodrig

#1 Meowth fan
    Years
  • Togekiss is pretty great if you're considering it. With Serene Grace, and moves like Air Slash, Body Slam, and Acientpower, they can be unbeatable.

VanillaThunderbolt

Generic User Title
    Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2012
    COMMENTS IN BOLD

Gliscor@leftovers
    252hp/4def/252Spe
    Jolly

Stealth Rock
    Earthquake
    Roost
    Taunt/U-turn

Why Jolly? Why so much Speed investment? Any Gliscor lead that isn't aimed at performing some sort of crazy Swords Dance sweep should be strictly bulk. It has amazing Physical defenses, and can be exploited for the more than likely example of Physically based leads. However, Sp.Def investment can make later game entry of Gliscor more of a surprise. Taunt>U-Turn to stop set up *****s and other Stealth Rock users.

Gyarados@life orb
    252 Atk/4 Def/ 252 Spe
    Adamant

Dragon Dance
    Aqua Tail
    Stone Edge
    Bounce

I prefer the bulkier DDGyarados myself, but to each his own. They both work well against different marks. As mentioned before, Waterfall>Aqua Tail, but as far as Ice Fang goes, forget it. Earthquake is the better option, as it gives you much better nuetral coverage, and the same if not better SE coverage with much more power. With Mence and Latias banned, Dragonite is the only threatening Pokemon with a 4x weakness to Ice (Flygon really can't mess with you too much; especially if it gets hit with Intimidate). Ice Fang does provide 60 more power on Dragonite... but really doesn't help anywhere else.

Lucario@life orb
    252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe
    Adamant

Swords Dance
    Close Combat
    ExtremeSpeed
    Crunch

Not bad at all. As someone already mentioned, Crunch is awesome for taking down Rotom and Dusknoir; though you should be weary of Will-o-Wisp (and maybe even carry a Lum Berry instead so you can 2HKO; assuming you got a Swords Dance in before they came in to Will-o-Wisp you).

Starmie@Life orb
    4 HP/252 SpA/ 252 Spe
    Timid

Surf/Hydro Pump
    Thunderbolt
    Ice Beam
    Rapid spin

I feel as though this would be better utility Starmie than brute force. Thunder Wave/Rapid Spin/Confuse Ray can actually be QUITE annoying. Parafusion is devastating in the right luck, and this team could seriously use the Paralysis support. In that same respect; I'd go with Leftovers>Life Orb.

Gengar@Life orb
    4 Def/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
    Timid

Substitute
    Pain Split
    Shadow Ball
    Focus Blast

A good strategy, IF you already didn't have Gyarados and Lucario ready to rip Blissey in two. Granted, Thunder Wave variants of Blissey would cripple either or both of them before it got KO'd, so I can't call SubSplit Gengar completely useless on this team. I'd keep it honestly, but just be careful of when you choose to bring it out.

Roserade@Focus sash
    4 HP/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
    Timid

Toxic Spikes
    Sleep powder
    Leaf storm
    Hidden Power Fire

Better as a lead, but also not all so great if you go with Thunder Wave Starmie (considering they can't be Poisoned and Paralyzed at the same time). It looks like the main role of Roserade here (besides status ailment support) is revenge kill, which can easily be done by any decent Choice Scarf Pokemon. I recommend Scarf Heatran, or even Expert Belt Electivire to abuse the age old Gyarados+Electivire combo (assuming Gyarados doesn't get fast or strong enough to take out those Thunderbolt users from Dragon Dance).

You mentioned you were going for mostly offense, which is understandable, but you don't really have the coordination of Pokemon for all-out-offense. Faster and stronger Pokemon are available in the OU Tier; and even all-out-offense teams have some sort of bulky core to help cripple the various threats to all-out-offense.

Without knowing exactly what areas this team has excelled in, or even what teams have walled it, it's hard to give it a proper rating. I imagine however, that any powerful lead with Ice Beam can destroy Gliscor, and open the team up to Baton Pass heaven. Without better distributed pHazing techniques, Baton Pass can be unstoppable.

Tyranitar presents a huge problem to this team as well, especially Dragon Dance variants who can potentially out-sepeed Lucario and sweep the entire team. If you see TTar lead, I would immediately switch to Lucario and CC+ExtremeSpeed (if it's Sashed).

Rain Dance teams also really hurt this team, as most of its gimmicks are weaknesses of this team. For example, Swift Swim+Thunder users can destroy Starmie and Gyarados, Gliscor won't survive in the Rain unless it's Sashed, and then it can only pray that the Rocks it lays down will be of some help, and Swift Swim/SubSeed Ludicolo makes waste of that Gengar.

Scizor, a common team mate for Rain teams, Baton Pass teams, and just in general, also puts the hurt on most of this team, ESPECIALLY SD Scizor. It can set up as much as it needs to on Gliscor, and go through the rest of the team with Bullet Punch/Bug Bite/Night Slash or Pursuit.

Back