• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Please Help My New Competitive Team

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2011
    Please Rate My New Team. Feel Free To Leave Any Feedback all is welcome.

I am happy for Magnezone to be taken out and make this an UU Team or am happy for suggestions for a OU Team as well.

Rhyperior w/Leftovers
    Ability: Solid Rock
    Adamant {140 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Def / 84 Spe}

Earthquake / Stone Edge / Megahorn / Stealth Rock

Tentacruel w/Leftovers
    Ability: Liquid Ooze
    Calm {252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD}

Toxic Spikes / Rapid Spin / Surf / Sludge Bomb

Houndoom w/Passho Berry
    Ability: Flash Fire
    Timid {4 SpD / 252 SpA / 252 Spe}

Nasty Plot / Fire Blast / Dark Pulse / Hidden Power Grass

Magnezone w/Choice Scarf
    Ability: Magnet Pull
    Naive {4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe}

Thunderbolt / Flash Cannon / Explosion / Hidden Power Fire

Torterra w/Life Orb
    Ability: Overgrow
    Jolly {252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe)

Rock Polish / Earthquake / Wood Hammer / Stone Edge

Heracross w/Flame Orb
    Ability: Guts
    Jolly {4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe}

Megahorn / Close Combat / Sword's Dance (™) / Facade (™)

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
    Since this an OU team, I definitely recommend replacing your outclassed UU sweepers with OU ones. Houndoom, Torterra, and Rhyperior definitely don't belong.

After that, we should focus on the goal of this team, which looks to me like you're attempting to pull off a sweep with SD Guts Heracross. Knowing this, we should probably have something to lay hazards (and therefore a spinblocker), and something to beat Hera's checks/counters, such as the Rotom Formes, Gengar, and Gliscor.

I would replace Tentacruel with Life Orb Starmie, since it can OHKO the Rotom Formes on the switch with Offensive Hydro Pump and threaten out Gliscor and Gengar. Tenta's Toxic Spikes can cripple bulky waters, but Heracross can mash pretty much all of them with a Guts boosted Facade. The set I would pick is:

Starmie @ Life Orb
    Timid Nature- Natural Cure
    252 Spa/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP

Surf
    Ice Beam
    Rapid Spin
    Thunderbolt/Recover

This gives you a valuable rapid spinner that keeps hazards out of Heracross' way in the endgame. To lay hazards, I recommend something like Shed Shell Skarmory, who also provides a needed dragon resist to your team. Skarmory can go over Torterra.

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
    Impish Nature- Sturdy
    252 HP/ 240 Def/ 16 Spe

Spikes/Stealth Rock
    Stealth Rock/ Whirlwind
    Roost
    Brave Bird

So currently we have:

(Lead)
    -Magnezone
    -Starmie
    -Skarmory
    -(Other Guy)
    -Heracross

Heracross isn't that fast, so some Paralysis support may come in handy. This can be accomplished through the use of something that spams Thunder Wave alot in order to cripple a lot of Heracross' counters. Rotom-H doesn't spam Thudner Wave, but its paralysis chance with Discharge is quite helpful and it provides you with a spinblocker.

Rotom-H @ Leftovers
    Bold Nature- Levitate
    252 HP/ 168 Def/ 88 Spe

Discharge
    Will-O-Wisp
    Shadow Ball
    Overheat

Finally, you could probably use an anti-lead that can mash up pokemon early-game for Heracross to pick off later. Machamp is an excellent choice to accomplish this with.

Machamp @ Lum Berry
    Adamant Nature- No Guard
    240 HP/ 248 Atk/ 16 SpD/ 4 Spe

Dynamic Punch
    Stone Edge/Ice Punch
    Bullet Punch
    Payback

So, overall, if youdecided to go with my changes, the team would look like:

Machamp Anti-lead
    Spinner LO Starmie
    Defensive Rotom
    Scarf Magnezone
    Stacking Skarmory
    SD Guts Heracross

Hope this helps!

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2011
    Thanks Skip for those changes. I will take those into heavy consideration for an OU Team. What would you suggest for an UU Team.

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
    Thanks Skip for those changes. I will take those into heavy consideration for an OU Team. What would you suggest for an UU Team.

(First post as a 17 year old rofl)

Well, you already have a Grass/Water/Fire core beginning to form, so let's focus around building that.

First off, I prefer Rock Blast on Rhyperior just because it helps break those annoying Substitute sweepers. That is up to you though, so you don't need to do that.

I prefer Hidden Power Flying or Psychic on Houndoom >> HP Grass to smack around Hariyama, who completely trolls you at this point.

You're definitely going to want some Wish support, since both Houndoom and Torterra will be worn down quickly. Chansey is probably one of the better wishers in UU, so I would recommend that.

Chansey @ Leftovers
    Ability: Natural Cure
    Calm Nature
    252 Def/ 252 SpD/ 4 HP

Wish
    Thunder Wave
    Protect
    Seismic Toss

Thunder Wave cripples a lot of Pokemon that could damage your other team members.

So currently, we have:

Rhyperior
    Chansey
    Houndoom
    Torterra
    Heracross (it is UU, after all)

Usually for me, Grass/Water/Fire Cores have one mixed sweeper, one special attacker, and one physical attacker. However, Heracross is also a physical attacker, so a special attacker would probably be better. There aren't that many special attacking water types in UU, but I would most likely recommend Blastoise as a bulky set in order to spin away rocks and entry hazards to give Houndoom, Torterra, and Heracross some breathing room.

Blastoise @ Leftovers
    Bold Nature
    Ability: Torrent
    252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Spa

Surf
    Rapid Spin
    Ice Beam
    Yawn

Ice Beam allows you to hit Grass types and Altaria, and Yawn is good for phazing.

Foe Heracross (particularly Scarfed ones) and Swellow give you problems. You need to conserve Rhyperior in order to take out swellow, and I would probably switch in a counter/check to Heracross >> your own Heracross in order to preserve the core. Houndoom can beat non-Scarf Hera, but it can't switch in safely at all. Houndoom makes a great partnership with Weezing, so I would recommend that to beat out Heracross.

Weezing @ Leftovers
    Bold Nature
    Ability: Levitate
    252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SpA

Pain Split
    Will-O-Wisp
    Thunderbolt
    Fire Blast/ Flamethrower

With weezing, you have to be careful not to burn Heracross or Hariyama, as they can smack you around with a guts boost afterward.

So if you decide to go with my changes, the final result is:

Rhyperior Lead
    Wish Chansey
    Rapid Spin Blastoise
    Nasty Plot Houndoom
    Rock Polish Torterra
    Bulky Weezing

Hope this helped!

Last edited:
    Back