• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Please tell me my team's flaws?

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2014
    My X and Y team has been failing badly competitively. Can someone please tell me the flaws in my team?

Noivern F lv. 48 (working on training this one) No item
    Acrobatics
    Shadow Ball
    Whirlwind
    Boomburst

Gardevoir F lv. 71 Item: Gardevoirite
    Shadow Ball
    Psychic
    Calm Mind
    Thunderbolt

Jirachi lv. 100 (I feel like this one was hacked. My friend traded it to me) No item
    Doom Desire
    Iron Head
    Psychic
    Draco Meteor

Charizard M lv. 75 Item: Charizardite X
    Fly(I know, I know.)
    Inferno
    Heat Wave
    Shadow Claw

Leafeon F lv. 73(I'd prefer not to get rid of this one) Item: Big Root
    Shadow Ball
    Giga Drain
    Leaf Blade
    Synthesis

Aerodactyl M lv. 61 Item: Aerodactylite
    Rock Smash
    Strength
    Iron Head
    Fly

I feel like I am unbalanced. Are there any better Pokemon I could be using(Without getting rid of Leafeon)?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I take it you're new to competitive battling? You can't really take whatever team you used to beat the Elite 4, throw it into competitive battles, and expect to win. You'll wanna start by reading these things:

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=305535#resources

https://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?499840-A-basic-guide-to-EVs-IVs-and-natures

Also, your Jirachi is probably hacked. I don't think it can learn Draco Meteor. And your team has a bit of an Ice weakness.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2015
    I take it you're new to competitive battling? You can't really take whatever team you used to beat the Elite 4, throw it into competitive battles, and expect to win. You'll wanna start by reading these things:

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=305535#resources

https://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?499840-A-basic-guide-to-EVs-IVs-and-natures

Also, your Jirachi is probably hacked. I don't think it can learn Draco Meteor. And your team has a bit of an Ice weakness.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Certain Jirachi came with Draco Meteor in some event distributions so it could be legal.

Also, SnakeBytez, if you're intent on using a Leafeon on your team might I suggest you overhaul its moveset? Shadow Ball and Giga Drain are usually good moves, but Leafeon's flawed base 60 Special Attack is barely going to scratch opponents with even decent Special Defence. Might I suggest replacing one of them with X-Scissor to use its better Attack stat?

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2014
    Certain Jirachi came with Draco Meteor in some event distributions so it could be legal.

Also, SnakeBytez, if you're intent on using a Leafeon on your team might I suggest you overhaul its moveset? Shadow Ball and Giga Drain are usually good moves, but Leafeon's flawed base 60 Special Attack is barely going to scratch opponents with even decent Special Defence. Might I suggest replacing one of them with X-Scissor to use its better Attack stat?
    My Jirachi has the OT SMR2010, if that means anything. I will take your advice and give it X-Scissor. Thank you for the advice!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday

Oh, so Draco Meteor was an event move for Jirachi. I should've checked.

And his team needs a complete overhaul for it to be competitively viable.

My Jirachi has the OT SMR2010, if that means anything. I will take your advice and give it X-Scissor. Thank you for the advice!

That means it is a Jirachi distributed in an event. That particular one came with Draco Meteor, so your Jirachi is actually legit.

Years
    I'm new to the competitive scene too. Haven't started battling yet, just doing my research and assembly before I start that, but from a glance, I wouldn't suggest whirlwind on Noivern unless you're going for a spike set up team. Plus what are the EVs you have on them? That makes a whole world of difference. Also youtube this guy Verlisify. He does reviews of pokemon for competitive use. You can learn alot from the youtubes.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2014
    Do any of you guys have suggestions for replacements? I am trying not to use more than one legendary.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Lack of good STAB hurts on Noivern. No, Acrobatics does not count, since Noivern's Attack is inferior to its Special Attack:
    -Draco Meteor
    -Flamethrower
    -Focus Blast
    -Hurricane/Switcheroo/U-turn
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Specs
    Ability: Frisk/Infiltrator

or
    -Draco Meteor
    -Flamethrower
    -Focus Blast
    -Dragon Pulse/Roost/U-turn
    Nature: Timid/Naive
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Frisk/Infiltrator

Gardevoir would appreciate having a Fairy STAB, since it gained the Fairy type in Gen VI. If you intend to use Mega Gardevoir, give it Hyper Voice, since Pixilate is useless without a Normal move (Pixilate turns the user's Normal moves into Fairy ones). Take note that this only applies to Ralts, Kirlia and Gardevoir transferred from B2/W2, as Hyper Voice is a tutor move in these games:
    -Psyshock
    -Hyper Voice
    -Focus Blast
    -Shadow Ball/Taunt/Will-o-Wisp
    EVs: 24 Def/232 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Gardevoirite
    Ability: Trace

or
    -Calm Mind
    -Psyshock
    -Hyper Voice
    -Shadow Ball/Taunt
    EVs: 24 Def/232 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Gardevoirite

If you can't use Hyper Voice, just make do with regular Gardevoir:
    -Psyshock
    -Moonblast
    -Focus Blast
    -Healing Wish/Trick
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Scarf

Since you have Aerodactyl as a Fly slave, I don't think Charizard has much of a reason to use Fly. It's best played physically because of Tough Claws powering up its main STABs:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Flare Blitz/Fire Punch
    -Dragon Claw/Outrage
    -Earthquake/Roost
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Charizardite X
    Ability: Blaze

or
    -Dragon Dance
    -Dragon Claw
    -Fire Punch/Earthquake
    -Roost
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 144 HP/244 Atk/120 Spe

or
    -Fire Punch/Earthquake
    -Dragon Claw
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Roost
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 248 HP/148 SDef/112 Spe

LetsPlayALoveGame

Wielder of the Disco Stick
    Years
    • Age 31
    • he/him
    • Texas
    • Seen Mar 9, 2023

I have the legit Draco Meteor Jirachi, so I can confirm it's not hacked.

Back