• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PMD series seems cliche

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    For these years, I been playing Pokemon Mystery Dungeons up to the point where I currently play Super Mystery Dungeon and something bothering me that I had to put my thought out about PMD; Is that the Player who turned into a pokemon had to save the pokemon world from impending destruction and after that the player returns to his/her human world and bid farewell then returns (expect in Gates to Infinity: Where player had to return after Bittercold is gone, thus Player's Partner must make a wish that player would return after the epilogue and it's the player decission to stay in human world (PP must go to worldcore again, if not decided) or go back to the pokemon life he/she was) also not include Super Mystery because the Player's partner was actually ancient mew and player stays, then players have to get mew and bring back former partner)

Here's the sums out about the cliche:
    - Red & Blue: Stop the meteor from crashing to pokemon world
    - Time & Darkness:Somehow stop Primal Dialga
    - Gates to Infinity: Stops Bittercold
    - Super Mystery Dungeon: Shattering Dark Core

Does anyone finds the story just bit extremely cliche and little less original, I feel PMD story just copy pasta and major editing.

_Dud_

I can't C#
    Years
  • I can agree that the ending of the story for the PMD games is admittedly cliche, though the rest of the plot is definitely quite original IMO. What I don't like about the PMD GTI is the fact that you don't even get to fight a Pokemon, instead you duke it out with a Snowflake.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I find being turned to pokemon is mostly cliche, but stories on the other hand, are not so so cliche since different games contribute different story to go with

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    A lot of the plot elements are cliche, but that's true of a lot of series. Unique stories tend to work well for one-off games, but once a game turns into a series, I've noticed that the developers tend to have difficulty avoiding using the same plot elements multiple times. Turning into a Pokemon and saving the world was unique at first, but since turning into a Pokemon became a central plot point, it's not surprising that it starts to feel old. I agree that they could have done more with some of the partners and villains, but at least the partner in the newest entry is a little different development-wise. And despite some of the cliches that run through the series, the stories have enough twists and turns that they still surprise me occasionally (though admittedly, the two most recent entries did so less than some of the earlier ones did).

Some originality would be nice, but there are enough changes to the stories that I still enjoy them. Plus, I'd rather have the games be somewhat cliche than risk them going off the deep end with something "creative" that completely bombs. Maybe I'm boring, but I look to the various Pokemon entries (both main games and spinoffs) as games that provide me with a predictable, enjoyable experience. I tend to look elsewhere for novelty (though I still find that the PMD story lines vary enough that I play them somewhat out of a desire to learn what happens next, which I can't say of my experience with the main series games).

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • There's also a cliche in every game except for Rescue Team where an NPC who seems like a good guy turns out to be working for the main villain.

Spoiler:

The first two caught me off guard, but if that's gonna happen in every game, then I'll be able to tell which pokemon will be the bad guy from a mile away.

And Mystery Dungeon aren't the only spinoffs to do that either. It also happens in Colosseum, XD and every game in the Ranger series.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I don't know, I mostly enjoy PMD for the characters, and the characters are all really colorful and interesting in my opinion. Sure they're placed into a pretty cookie-cutter story, but I don't mind that too much and I've come to expect it from Pokémon in general (i.e. the main series is even more cookie-cutter).

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
    Years
  • You can say the same thing about the main series--a new trainer gets a starter pokémon and goes on a journey to collect eight badges and become champion while foiling an evil organization (though I guess Black/White plays with that formula a little). I see these clichés as staples of the series; a human turning into a pokémon is a given and it's one thing that makes a PMD game a PMD game. I can see it getting stale for people though, so I see your point. I personally don't really mind clichés all that much, so I guess that they don't harm my enjoyment of the games. Maybe it helps that these games hold a special place in my heart and are the reason I'm even on the internet in the first place. :)

Back