• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Po-Key-Mon or Po-Kay-Mon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zelos

*yawn*
Years
  • I know that the name is technically pronounced Po-kay-mon but ever since I saw the word, I pronounced it as the first one I mentioned. I've never really thought the latter sounded very good.

Anyway, how do you pronounce it? One of these two ways...or another? (XD)

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
    Years
  • I've always pronounced it somewhere between Po-kay-mon and the correct Japanese pronunciation. Eh, it usually bothers me a little when people say Po-kee-mon, which is how my Dad says it. My Dad's bad with names though... for three years he called Misty: Christy. XD

Po-kay-mon is how it should be pronounced in the US though (as stated), because the accent above the "e" makes it change its sound to an "ay" sound. But, meh, say it the way you want, no one's going to arrest you. ^____^

Psycho

♥~Catalina~♥
    Years
  • I say Po-kuh-mon is that really really weird?
    It depends on your accent and where you're from really. In Ash's early days of being a trainer I recall him pronouncing it as Po-Kuh-Mon, as the Sandshrew trainer AJ did. Whereas people such as Dario, the Dodrio trainer, pronounced it as Po-Key-Mon. Officer Jenny (or one of her clones) often pronounces it as Po-Kay-Mon and/or Po-Kuh-Mon.

However, to answer the question, I say Po-Kay-Mon.

Psycho

Years
  • I'm more of a Po-kay-mon (or maybe it's more like keh/kuh, I'm not sure)person. I'm pretty stingy about that.
    My little brother says po-kee-mon and it drives me mad sometimes @_@

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2006
    Because of my British accent I've always pronounced it 'Po-kuh-mon'.

I've sometimes heard people around my area pronounce it 'Poh-ko-mon'. Where I live it's either 'Po-kuh-mon' or 'Poh-ko-mon'. I've never heard anybody pronounce it Po-kay-mon.

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Po-keh-mon, sort of. Like kohei and Dragonfree, I tend to pronounce it more as a Japanese word rather than English. o_O;

It bugs me when it's pronounced any other way. XD

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back