• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Pocket Monsters Green

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • So, who has it? Who's played it? I just recently got my own copy of the game. I'm not very far, since I'm busy with school, work, and the five PS2 games I also got last week, lol. But so far, I haven't had much trouble playing the game despite being unable to read it. I have played SoulSilver, White, and Black 2 in Japanese, but with newer games, you have more ways to tell what you're doing, what you're buying, etc. because of pictures or colors and such. For the first game in the series, that luxury doesn't exist.

So yeah. Feel free to add anything else you want to about Green whether you have it or not. Keep in mind that there is already a discussion for those beautiful sprites in another thread, though. ;)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Green's got different sprites than Red, Blue, and Yellow, if I'm not mistaken. There may be more differences, but this is the only one I'm aware of. Anyway, I personally have never owned the physical copy of Pokémon Green. I did play it in emulators though, but that probably doesn't count. :p

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
  • There is actually nothing THAT special about the Pokemon Green version, except that it only has been released in Japan and therefore, is considered to be somewhat more rare than the Red, Blue and Yellow series. Actually Pokemon Green and Pokemon Red were the first Pokemon games in Japan, while in other country releases, they replaced Green by Blue.

I have actually all Japanese Gameboy game cartridges of Pokemon myself and therefore, have played Pokemon Green too. If I remember correctly, these are the things that are different from the Red/Blue and Yellow games:

There are some differences though:
    * In Pokemon Green, you will notice that the sprites are different from Red/Blue and Yellow;
    * Some locations of wild Pokemon are different, such as Lickitung, Kadabra and Jynx who are catch-able in the game. So you don't have to trade that Poliwhirl for a Jynx anymore in Cerulean City in order to get a Jynx, for example;
    * There are more available items such as HP UP that can be bought in PokeMarts;
    * The Unknown Dungeon, "Mewtwo's Cave", is also very different in comparison with the Red/Blue games. There actually is a rumor that all 150 Pokemon can be caught in there (in one single cartridge) and that, once you have obtained all 150, you will receive a Mew without cheating.

Actually the game was quite unsuccessful in Japan because of the sprites (one of the main factors) so that's why this game never saw the world outside of Japan.

slim spazzy

Kik: spazzyda59
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    I ahve played pokemon Green and it is exactly the same as red and blue but with outdated graphics and the time for the thunderbolt animation reduced

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I mainly wanted it because I never felt my main Pokemon game collection was complete without it. Plus, as terrible as the sprites are, they have a place in my heart. I genuninely like them and think they have a unique charm to them. So, needless to say, I'm really happy with my copy! :)

Also, fun fact. I've been naming my Pokemon random katakana characters, just so I know who's who, since Pokemon don't have individual avatars in those games. I also named my character one katakana character. So...I found out I named myself Ho. Beautiful, isn't it? lol

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • I never played Green, and I don't intend to, since it's a glitchier and uglier version of the international Pokémon Blue, but there's something that bothers me about it.

People say it is rare because it was released only in Japan. Truth is: the international Red and Blue were the combinations of the Japanese Blue with, respectively, Japanese Red and Japanese Green, so technically not only was Japanese Green not released outside Japan as is, the Japanese Red and Blue weren't released neither.

So, basically, if you want a complete collection, you would need all three of them, and not just Green, because the Japanese Red has as many differences with the international Red as Japanese Green has with international Blue, and it's in fact the Japanese Blue (and not Green) that doesn't have an international counterpart.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
  • I haven't played it, however it seems a lot more complicated with it being in a different language. If I were to get it, it would be more for the collection. I don't think I'd play it by any means.

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2023
    Tried it, but wasn't that interested. More glitches though, which is always fun.

Back