• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: POCKET MONSTERS SCALE X FANG (DEMO v1.0.2)

Years
  • I find it interesting that your starter starts at level 1, makes for an interesting training experience. Also the starters are quite interesting, but my fave has to be the water one when it comes to design. I'm only 5 minutes into the game so I just had your first battle. And as long as the fakemon are good designed I'll definitely see what team I end up with by the end of the demo. And I'm not bored by grinding if I find myself needing to train if I'm struggling. As long as the struggle isn't to bad I should enjoy myself.

Since you guys are targeting a 2024 release is there any plans for a beta in between now and full release or is this demo it? As long as you throw some updates our way if there is no more releases planned till the final release then I'll be happy.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Have you tried not grinding?

Aside from needing to prepare against everything ? Kinda, just make the battle either a little harder or literal difficulty spike.

And yeahhh, running into a nasty bug. Just got my first game over and it deletes my save file. I dunno if it's pure accidental on mGBA, but this happened when i was defeated against the rival Pinsir.

Last edited:

zealot

The King of Fail
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2024
    Really enjoyed this demo. The new designs are very cool and I love how the game makes you slow down and plan out your progression. Lots of interesting ideas to consider as I work on my own project. Looking forward to the full release!

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Not sure if putting an "anti-speedup" thing in a game is kinda cringe or kinda funny, it reeks of some weird elitism thing but the people trying to "argue" against it are posting the most unhinged walls of text.

Someone posted a video of how to disable this on the very first page. People seem to keep missing it so maybe it should be reiterated, in mGBA you go to "Tools" then "GamePak sensors" in the dropdown menu. When you open that, under "Realtime clock" you'll see that "System time" is ticked, just go tick "Start time at" instead and close the window. Now you can speed up.

Maybe just have some text that kindly asks people not to speed the game up as it's unnecessary. Most people you'd deem worthy of playing it would probably oblige, as for anyone who can't go through the name screen without speedup I don't really see why it's worth caring about.

Though if you keep going down this path, I expect future updates to softlock the game and delete the save file upon detecting speedup, don't disappoint.

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Though if you keep going down this path, I expect future updates to softlock the game and delete the save file upon detecting speedup, don't disappoint.

Don't be silly, people will catch on immediately to that. Instead set some flags that will make the player unable to progress 8 hours later just before the climax of the plot.

(I'm only half-joking)

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2023
    Allright, you guys actually made me sign up, which at least says something i think.

I finished the current demo, and overall it was an ok experience, definitely not the worst i've played.
    However there is one major issue i have with the game and reading through this threat didn't make it any better.

I don't know if it is different for the female character, but i also highly doubt that anything would change,
    but the main character is a really arrogant asshole. And sadly not the endeering fun kind. Blue Oak, this is not.
    That makes it really hard to get into and start caring about the story, which feels like it is straight up taken from
    Crisis Core - Final Fantasy 7 only, in CC it works because Zack is such a lovable "puppy" of a character.

The whole insistance on making the gameplay as inconvinient to the player as possible doesn't help this either.
    Really like the new fakemons designs, and was looking forward to every encounter to see what else to find.
    I do enjoy the large areas to explore, and the resource managment system has its merrits, but the long backtracking just to get a heal in
    drags down the experience a lot, and discourages experimenting with all the new different mons, as grinding them up to snuff to try them out
    takes forever thanks to being insistent on the anti-speedup. This has been handled in other games a lot better.
    Exception to that is the diner on the beach map, this is actually a really good way of balancing healing without needing to backtrack.
    A way to heal for money should be available on every location, still giving a convenient way to heal that has a cost.

Finally the whole attitude of the devs in this thread. I don't think it is wise to be this antagonizing and arrogant towards peoples criticism,
    especially considering how much Nintendo hates people messing with their IPs. If you make players hate you, it will be really hard to feel
    bad for you, when you recieve your Cease and Desist from Nintendo, once the mass reporting started.

Last edited:

HamishS

LOVE EVERYONE
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2023
    Finally the whole attitude of the devs in this thread. I don't think it is wise to be this antagonizing and arrogant towards peoples criticism,
    especially considering how much Nintendo hates people messing with their IPs. If you make players hate you, it will be really hard to feel
    bad for you, when you recieve your Cease and Desist from Nintendo, once the mass reporting started.
    Are you threatening us?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I can see how it can come off this way. for which i apologize.
    Just saying it will most likely happen, when you antagonize your playerbase.

When has a Pokemon hack gotten a cease and desist because people were mad at the developers?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2023
    I can see how it can come off this way. for which i apologize.
    Just saying it will most likely happen, when you antagonize your playerbase.

Nobody is "antagonizing" the player base except the player base themselves. Stop acting like you're some great oppressed class because someone very politely asked you to play the game they put a lot of effort into at a normal speed.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2023
    Team after end of Demo

Attachments

• POCKET MONSTERS SCALE X FANG (DEMO v1.0.2)
      PM Scale x Fang (Demo v1.0.1)_1672881811310.png
      6.2 KB · Views: 51

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • Hey, so I've reached snowbright path after climbing Mount Vista, and I'm kinda lost on where to go next in order to continue the story. Can someone please direct me? Thank you!

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2023
    Sorry to intrude on the drama, but does anyone know where to submit bugs?

Because I'm playing the demo right now and every time I try to enter my apartment the game freezes and I have to reload the save. 😅

Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    Sorry to intrude on the drama, but does anyone know where to submit bugs?

Because I'm playing the demo right now and every time I try to enter my apartment the game freezes and I have to reload the save. 😅

Here, sometimes the dev will look here

LyraKitkat

Hacked Trainer
    Years
  • I wanted to try this hack but the anti-speedup is a killer for me. You are free to make your game however you want, but the second you start trying to force players to play a specific way, you lose me. You expect people to enjoy your game if they are forced to play at 1x speed in a gen three game, AND you give them sass when they call you out? Yeah hard pass.

NotDWaddler

You're goin' straight to Gensokyo, Jimbo.
    Years
  • The game LOOKS cool, but I got a bit squinty when it said that speed-up was disabled. I dunno HOW that actually works since its an emulator feature, but putting that kind of lock on a rom hack just seems really fuckin stupid. People WILL stop to read, but sometimes there's shit they just wanna get through. Specially if its someone replaying the game, and if its actually something that mocks the player for using it, then that's just disrespectful to the people putting time aside from your game.

Please reconsider the lock.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    The game LOOKS cool, but I got a bit squinty when it said that speed-up was disabled. I dunno HOW that actually works since its an emulator feature, but putting that kind of lock on a rom hack just seems really fuckin stupid. People WILL stop to read, but sometimes there's shit they just wanna get through. Specially if its someone replaying the game, and if its actually something that mocks the player for using it, then that's just disrespectful to the people putting time aside from your game.

Please reconsider the lock.

"If you don't like it then don't play it" is probably the answer you're going to get. I've been lurking over this thread and another in a separate subforum of the website about the whole anti-speed-up thing. It seems they have it in place to prevent players from speeding through the story they worked on, which I do kind of get to a degree. As someone who has spent over 2,000 hours in rpgmaker developing my game, which is narrative and story-focused, it does annoy me when I get people in my discord server asking me where to go next when the answer to their question is something a character told them probably 10 seconds before they "got stuck". Of course I have a completely different philosophy of "play the game how you want as long as you're enjoying it", and I guess I'll leave my biggest gripes with the anti speedup.

1. Emerald is soooo slow. Like seriously I can run an emerald hack at 8x speed and still feel like it's not going fast enough. Battles can take ages to get through and backtracking is to explore or grab something you forgot is completely out of the question.
    2. Like OP said above, anti speedup leaves so little room for replayability. "We've prevented speedup because we don't want people to blow through the story" but what if this isn't my first playthrough? If I already know the story then why wouldn't I want to blow through it and get back to reliving the gameplay that had brought me to replay the game.

But whatever, at the end of the day, it's their game, they can do what they want with it. And yeah I would likely say the same thing to someone who found something wrong with my game that I was adamant about keeping, "If you don't like it then don't play it".

Lastly if any developer of this game reads this, please don't take this as a personal attack, I'm just trying to respectfully leave my opinion!

Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2023
    I want to make something clear. I tried. I tried to give this a chance, I tried to like Scale X Fang. But I couldn't. There's some stuff this hack does well. But there's quite a lot it doesn't. I will be dividing my thoughts by aspects of the game, and will be giving feedback as constructively as I can. For transparencies sake, I will say upfront that I'm technically not even finished with the demo, I'm 3-4 hours in right after the sewer section. However, I think I've gone through enough to form my thoughts on it, but it feels wrong to not mention it.

Aesthetics:
    Spoiler:

Writing:
    Spoiler:

Gameplay:
    Spoiler:

As such, I do not think I will be playing this game any further. Shame. Had a lot of potential.

Last edited:

NotDWaddler

You're goin' straight to Gensokyo, Jimbo.
    Years
  • Hey, I'm not harassing anyone. I'm just saying that disabling an emulator function to make people pay attention to the story feels.... very icky. Its about as bad as Game Freak still not having a skip functionality for base cutscenes. Yeah, people are gonna speed, but lots of people are just like that and some also know how to slow down when necessary to read and pay heed to dialogue or plot. Fully cutting off a QoL tool to your entire playerbase that's common with every other hack under the sun to 'make people read' is just.... If that ain't A-Grade plotting and writing in return, I'll be disappointed at best.

Its a decision and I ain't gonna throw a fit over it. But I'm still gonna say that its dumb and turn away others from actually playing the game.

Back