• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokéCommunity Manaphy Suspect Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anti

return of the king
Years
  • PokéCommunity Manaphy Suspect Test

NOTE: You need to read the whole thread before posting.

Introduction

The very appearance of this thread probably surprises a lot of you. Why are we running our own suspect test for Manaphy? Simply put, the Smogon suspect test is taking forever. Not only that, but policy is completely unpredictable seeing as it has been changed on the fly after both Stage 3-1 and Stage 3-2. Meanwhile, Manaphy is being left out of standard with two OU majorities (the more recent one being a super majority), and D_A and I are beginning to wonder when Smogon will actually end up concluding its suspect test. While I wanted to just let Manaphy into OU as the voters had determined, a test without Garchomp just in case it significantly hindered Manaphy is the safe choice, so D_A and I decided to do that.

Testing Process and Policies

The most important aspect of this test is that any conclusive result on Smogon overrules the results of our test. In other words, if we vote Manaphy to be Uber and Smogon unbans it, Manaphy will become OU on PokéCommunity as well. Why? Every serious battler in S&M battles on the Smogon Server and the Smogon ladder, so diverting from the place that literally defines the metagame is very foolish. The purpose of this test is to have a temporary resolution to the tier status of Manaphy in case the suspect test drags out any longer, and we have every reason to believe that it will.

So, how will this work? Manaphy will be unbanned once the server is rebooted, and everyone will have approximately two weeks to use Manaphy. All suspect battles must be done using the suspect ladder on the server. This is so that we can keep track of each participant's CRE.

There is no voting requirement. All you have to do is participate in the test. How will we monitor that? We won't: D_A and I trust that everyone on here can be honest about their experience playing with Manaphy as well as playing against it. We strongly urge members who have not participated much in the suspect test not to attempt to gain a vote, as you will be cheating the system and tainting the result. Once time for the test has expired, we will accept PMs that participants will send.

These PMs will have to contain an argument for the offensive characteristic on why Manaphy does or does not meet the given characteristic. If you feel that Manaphy is Uber based on the defensive or support characteristics, include that as well. Otherwise, it will be assumed that they are not a factor in your decision. As a reminder, here are all three characteristics:

Jumpman said:
    Offensive Characteristic
    A Pokémon is uber if, in common battle conditions, it is capable of sweeping through a significant portion of teams in the metagame with little effort.

Defensive Characteristic
    A Pokémon is uber if, in common battle conditions, it is able to wall and stall out a significant portion of the metagame.

Support Characteristic
    A Pokémon is uber if, in common battle conditions, it can consistently set up a situation in which it makes it substantially easier for other pokemon to sweep.

You will also have to include at least two battle logs that support your claim. Save the whole battle log and bold the parts that are your evidence. It is also recommended that you include a brief explanation about why each log supports your position. We will also require that you include the team(s) you used in the battle logs you include--it's easy, just use the export to text feature in the team builder and then copy and paste it.

With your position, your team(s), your battle logs, and your CRE, D_A and I will choose what votes should be accepted. Note that D_A thinks that Manaphy is Uber and I think it is OU, so there willl not be any bias. Votes will be judged based only on the logic provided in the PM sent to us. If it is solid and strongly links Manaphy to being Uber or OU based on the characteristic(s) you provide, your vote will count.

Once D_A and I have sorted through the votes, Manaphy will either be banned or remain unbanned based on the result; all that is needed is a simple majority.

As a final note, we aren't expecting booming participation, so any policy outlined in this thread that proves to be unreasonable will be changed accordingly. Still, we need to determine Manaphy's tier stsus until Smogon is finished with its test.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I actually heard Manaphy was put back into Uber.

Anyways it's refreshing to see our own tier testing.

LilacLust

Gone.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2012
    They should just keep it in OU, mine is fine in OU, but fails in uber :/ but maybe thats just me XD

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    They should just keep it in OU, mine is fine in OU, but fails in uber :/ but maybe thats just me XD

"How a pokemon performs in ubers HAS NOTHING to do with what tier it is positioned in, a pokemon could totally suck ass in ubers, see regular Deoxys but still be too powerful standard play and thus be uber"

Detox

D_A was saying that, a pokemon can be useless in Ubers, but still be strong enough to dominate OU. Not that we should bring Normal Deoxys down.

Leader Soulja Boy

Batesville Gym Leader
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Dec 16, 2011
    Normal Deoxys is a frail Pokemon and is easily taken care of by DDTar or any fast sweeper in OU.

But back to the point, Manaphy's ability allows it to set-up as many Tail Glows as it wants and sweep with Rain-boosted Surfs.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Normal Deoxys is a frail Pokemon and is easily taken care of by DDTar or any fast sweeper in OU.

But back to the point, Manaphy's ability allows it to set-up as many Tail Glows as it wants and sweep with Rain-boosted Surfs.

Please tell me you didnt just say that........im losing hope in this forum, i really am. :/

Infact im not even gonna explain it to you, go check Tars speed after a DD and go check Deoxys speed, then you will see that was a dumb post.

Anyways, Deoxys or any other suspect/uber/legendary is irrelevant to this thread.

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT MANAPHY AND THAT IS ALL, ANY OTHER STUPID OFF TOPIC POST/THEORYMON POST ABOUT ANYTHING OTHER THAN MANAPHY IS GOING TO BE DELETED AND INFRACTED FROM NOW ON. ^_^

Years
  • So i didnt really see it in the OP, or i just didnt catch it, but are you guys wanting everyone or most everyone to participate and contribute?

If so is it working where in a battle both teams have to use manaphy? or is one a regular/typical OU team youd find and we see how/if manaphy has any great affect in the battle?

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
  • I'll join in I guess. I'm extremely bored with my life currently, and this seems exciting enough lol.

Although this seems rather...strange due to the fact that none of us actually ladder on the PC server. lol Maybe some do, but I for sure don't.

So I'll be keeping an eye out for how Manaphy should be. I personally say OU right now, but who knows how it'll actually do in a situation such as this one. :/ It really isn't that bad of an idea to try, but Anti, you're right about smogon taking too long...2 majorities should be enough to convince them.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • So i didnt really see it in the OP, or i just didnt catch it, but are you guys wanting everyone or most everyone to participate and contribute?

If so is it working where in a battle both teams have to use manaphy? or is one a regular/typical OU team youd find and we see how/if manaphy has any great affect in the battle?

It's entirely up to each individual. If you don't want to participate, we're not going to make you. Of course, if no one does, I'd be happy to just wait it out as we've been doing and forget this ever existed, but I have faith that we'll get some form of activity to do this.

And no, you don't have to use Manaphy, but it's HIGHLY recommended if you want to vote seeing as it's difficult to know if it's OU or Uber if you haven't used it. If you just want to know what it's like to play against Manaphy, then there isn't any point in doing so just for the sake of using Manaphy,

Detox

I should have some extra time to help out with this. We take semester exams next week, but they wont really be much trouble.

From the feel of using it previously, I dont honestly see what made it uber, besides people using Hydration + Rain + Tail Glow + Two attacks. I know there are other sets, but this is mainly the one I ran into....really had no trouble stalling them with Vaporeon or Defensive Latias.

The one with the Wycan berry can be a slight pain, though.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Ok, thanks for clearin that up anti. I'll go ahead and give it a shot and help out. Now since I have someone i need to build a team around i should be able to build something decent, i hope lol.

Do we have any idea bout when the server will be up again? since this will take place there

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    What Pokemon in OU and survive a +2 Rain boosted Surf, or Ice Beam, or Grass Knot/Energy Ball and hit back hard enough to OHKO Manaphy before it rests?

Jolteon is faster but I don't know if he can OHKO. Blissey is obviously a threat to Manaphy but I'm sure if Manaphy can get to +4 it can 2KO Blissey with Rain-boosted Surf.

Latias can cripple Manaphy but she needs to beware of Ice Beam carrying Manaphy.

Obviously Tyranitar, Hippowdon, Abomasnow, or anything to make the Rain go away will screw up Manaphy plans but TTar and Hippo are weak to Manaphy's attacks. Abomasnow can resists all of it's common attacking moves and hits back with Wood Hammer.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • The ladder has been set up. Garchomp, Latios, Shaymin-S, and even the ancient Deoxys-S have all been banned from the suspect ladder. The test has begun. Also, to clarify, to do a match given how inactive the ladder is, just agree to battle someone and then you can both just use the find tab rather than doing an individual challenge so that we can keep track of CREs (though they won't have much of a say at all when it comes down to it).

_______

What Pokemon in OU and survive a +2 Rain boosted Surf, or Ice Beam, or Grass Knot/Energy Ball and hit back hard enough to OHKO Manaphy before it rests?

Jolteon is faster but I don't know if he can OHKO. Blissey is obviously a threat to Manaphy but I'm sure if Manaphy can get to +4 it can 2KO Blissey with Rain-boosted Surf.

Latias can cripple Manaphy but she needs to beware of Ice Beam carrying Manaphy.

Obviously Tyranitar, Hippowdon, Abomasnow, or anything to make the Rain go away will screw up Manaphy plans but TTar and Hippo are weak to Manaphy's attacks. Abomasnow can resists all of it's common attacking moves and hits back with Wood Hammer.

I'm just curious how Manaphy miraculously has two turns of set-up (Rain and Tail Glow) and has taken no prior damage every time you argue for it being Uber ~_~ The characteristic clearly states that something must be considered to be Uber only under common battle conditions, and Rain is not one of them. If Manaphy sets up Rain itself, it's not getting in a Tail Glow boost and is thus powerless to stop various threats from defeating it. Please don't act like Rain will always be up just because Manaphy has Hydration >_>.

On a similar note, it would be -awesome- if we could keep this thread to discussing the test itself or experiences battling with Manaphy around. If you want to argue tier status, we have a discussion thread for Stage 3-3 (which will eventually confirm or overtake whatever decision we come to) devoted to that.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    The ladder has been set up. Garchomp, Latios, Shaymin-S, and even the ancient Deoxys-S have all been banned from the suspect ladder. The test has begun. Also, to clarify, to do a match given how inactive the ladder is, just agree to battle someone and then you can both just use the find tab rather than doing an individual challenge so that we can keep track of CREs (though they won't have much of a say at all when it comes down to it).

_______

I'm just curious how Manaphy miraculously has two turns of set-up (Rain and Tail Glow) and has taken no prior damage every time you argue for it being Uber ~_~ The characteristic clearly states that something must be considered to be Uber only under common battle conditions, and Rain is not one of them. If Manaphy sets up Rain itself, it's not getting in a Tail Glow boost and is thus powerless to stop various threats from defeating it. Please don't act like Rain will always be up just because Manaphy has Hydration >_>.

On a similar note, it would be -awesome- if we could keep this thread to discussing the test itself or experiences battling with Manaphy around. If you want to argue tier status, we have a discussion thread for Stage 3-3 (which will eventually confirm or overtake whatever decision we come to) devoted to that.

So do those characteristics mean I can't use a Rain team on ladder for testing Manaphy?

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
  • *shot*

You can use Rain, nothing says you can't. Anti was trying to say that your arguments are just ridiculous, as you are always assuming that the rain will be up AND Manaphy can set up a Tail Glow, which is more unrealistic than anything.

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
    Years
  • People laddering on the suspect ladder? People don't even Standard ladder on our server, only few do. On-topic, I think Manaphy should come down to OU, though I want it in Ubers because I hate Rain teams :D.

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
  • I built a team and have been testing it out on Smogon's server before I bring it to PC. So far I've found that Manaphy really finds a hard time coming and setting up until late game, which means that you need a great team build around it for it to function well. Psuedostall really doesn't work with Manaphy as well as I thought it would because of all of the Rain Dance teams that take advantage of your setting up to set up.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back