• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokémon Amie

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    Pokémon X and Y introduced a new feature where we can pet Pokémon, have some mini-games like puzzles and all, and increase the affections of your Pokémon. It's called Pokemon Amie, and it even gets carried to ORAS along with 2 other new features.

Do you like Pokémon Amie or not, and if not, why. And do you manage to increase the affection to Pokémon to the highest one possible?

Years
    Pokemon Amie is great! I use it on all my favorite pokemon! It's gaining more EXP better evasion and can endure hits! I always get it to max 5 hearts within an hour. It sounds like it takes a lot of time but with doing some minigames and feeding the time flies.

Years
    I often forget about the stuff in the bottom screen unless I need to do something specific.

I think the only Pokemon I've played with on the Amie screen is Aromatisse...mostly I use Amie to evolve my Sylveons. I'm not very good at the little games within it.

So I guess I don't mind it.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2014
    I like Amie, but only find myself using it very rarely as I usually am doing other things like hunting shinies or breeding.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I liked this feature; provided a fun way to interact with your Pokémon and whatnot. Though, I didn't find myself using it as often. I probably should!

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    I enjoyed using it that I often used it to almost all Pokémon that I want to raise. Given that they will love you back when you treat them well (by breaking free from paralysis in the middle of the battle, for instance), it makes Pokémon Amie much more than just a mere interaction system for Pokémon.

Years
    I played with Pokemon Amie a lot, because it's a really fun feature and it gives you lots of benefits such as breaking free from status conditions, increased chance of critical hits and also gaining boosted EXP.

I always like to keep going until I max out a Pokemon's affection so they can get the best of the benefits, and I'm sure I'll be abusing it just as often in OR/AS as well.

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2015
    Pokemon Amie voice and camera controls

So, I've just found that in pokemon Amie pokemon respond to your face expresions and voice, which made it a lot more interesting that it was, at least for me.

Did you know about those features? And have you already tried them?

For the ones like me that have just heard of this stuff, here's a brief explanation of how it works:

Facial recognition: if a yellow person icon appears at the left bottom of the tactil screen, it means the camera is trying to recognize your facial expressions, if you make a couple of them (like smiling, turning your head to a side, etc), you'll enter a minigame where the game asks you to make some facial expressions, if you did all of them right, some hearts will appear and the poke will earn affection, if you fail, you'll have to see the look of dissapointed in your pokemon's eyes. SHAME ON YOU.
    By the way, it took me some tries to get that to work properly, what worked for me was sitting still while looking at the pokemon instead of directly to the camera, and sometimes repeating the same expression if it didn't recognize it at the first time.

Voice recognition: I am actually not sure how does this work, I don't know if there are some predetermined voice controls or something. (It would be awesome if the pokemon responded to predetermined messages in different langagues depending on its region but I wouldn't know if there even are predetermined messages to try it out).
    You can also put some music on and let your pokemon react to it, some minutes ago my Noibat listened to Here Comes the Sun and went to sleep as the song ended. The timing there was priceless.

So, what are your opinions on these 2 features?

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
    Yup. It took me some time to realize as well.
    It's kinda creepy sometimes, to know the thingy is trying to read your face and decode it in something the game can understand.

In any case, Pokemon usually react to my facial expressions since I actually smile when I use the Pokemon Amie LOL

Years
    I try to do the facial expressions thing and it's like my 3DS camera gives up halfway through the second face.

I think the range just isn't big enough for recognizing stuff like that.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I try to do the facial expressions thing and it's like my 3DS camera gives up halfway through the second face.

Yeah I know how that is. Makes me sadface when I see the Pokemon get let down because of it. I'm all "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean it! I really do want to play with you; the tech just wants to be a jerk about it."

Anywho, I freaking love this feature. Being able to interact with each Pokemon I've lovingly raised (even ones brought forward that I had raised in the past), and unlocking that anime-esque Friendship Ex Machina (as I dubbed it) power of cheating death, breaking statuses, etc. just makes the in-game bonds that much more immersive. Maxing friendship is a must for any would-be teammate.

As for the mini-games, the only one I really like and can do well at and consistently is Head It. Playing that a whole bunch is how I power through befriending my Pokemon. Music is catchy, game is easy enough to zone out and play, but challenging enough that it isn't boring.

Another particularly amusing bit is that it takes into account the feel of the Pokemon when you pet it (Solosis and kin are gooey, etc.) and just the fact that by being able to interact one on one, PokemonAmie in general has endeared me to species I hadn't given due consideration to in the past or made ones I vaguely liked even more appealing. Not to mention the fact that you can really appreciate your shinies when getting up close with them :3

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2015
    I absolutely love Pokémon Amie. This is a feature that needed to be in the Pokémon series, considering that one of the things that always appears in this series is friendship. Not only that, but it really gives tons of personality to every single Pokémon, which what makes this series special. I also love playing with my favourites. x)

I'm also pretty happy that this feature has a purpose rather than being a little minigame that no one ever plays. Seeing my Pokémon survive a move just because I played with it is kind of heartwarming. :D

Years
    Ah, Pokémon-Amie. I didn't use it to play with my Pokémon as much, but I liked the mini games that there were to have fun with. So it was a worthwhile feature, that I won't deny.

It was adorable! We really needed more ways to interact with Pokemon outside of battles given that this is a Pokemon-centric franchise with the trainer/NPCs sitting on the sides. Really do wish there were more minigames as the existing ones get boring after a while but nonetheless, it's a welcome feature. The benefits of maxing affection are also insanely worth it!

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
    At first, I was like

Pokémon Amie

And now I'm like

Pokémon Amie

Just wish there was a bit more you could do in it. The facial recognition just doesn't work, so you're basically limited to the petting, feeding, and minigames.

And the occasional high-five.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Pokemon Amie is the feature in X/Y that makes those games my second favorite entry in the game series. I'm a soft-hearted fan for games like Nintendogs, Tamagotchi, and the like, and when I found that that style of game was combined with Pokemon, I was excited. Pokemon Amie lived up to my expectations for it, though as others have said, I do wish that there was more to do in Amie.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    It initially reminded me of the staple touching feature of any 3D eroge. Amie is cutsey and pleasant even if the rainbow backdrop is a bit sickening (why not make it resemble the route I'm on?). Admittedly, I've spent a good few minutes freezing my hand on Froslass' ears just to make her stare at me in confusion at my display of either stupidity or masochism.

ΩRαS

Creepin' up in Hoenn
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2015
    At first I never bothered to use it. Only once I tried evolving my Eevee into Sylveon did I realise what fun it can be (it was a nice distraction from the story).

The mini games can be fun yet at the same time tedious if I'm trying to get all five hearts.

I did it once for my party of 6 early on in the game and was worth it due to the bonus exp gained, not constantly fainting on me and dodging attacks which made it more engaging for me as the Pokemon do in the anime.

Back