• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Ancient Platinum

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
Years
  • Really excited to see this back in development! Looking forward to seeing what you can do Pia.

Hey, glad to see you still around here! Thanks.

So far mapping is going smooth, took a couple hours but with Mateo's help I was able to get things running smooth. And the big news...

Map Connections are no longer an issue! This was our biggest problem with hacking the rom previously, and from what I can tell our biggest issue now will be sprite hacking, with crystal having animated sprites. I am trying to find out if these can be disabled and will keep you all updated.

Linnie

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2022
    Someone probably already answered elsewhere, but Pokémon animations can definitely be disabled in pokecrystal. It's as simple as deleting the text of the anim0.asm and anim1.asm files and replacing them with just "endanim"

Or maybe there's an even simpler way to do it than that but it seems to work perfectly when I do it.

Really great to hear you've gotten back at it, I was super excited when I first saw this hack years ago, and it's great that you no longer have to worry about the biggest thing holding you back.

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • Yup, still working on it. Pretty busy irl, just got a new job and all so I don't have much time to dedicate between hacking and WoW. If you're interested in helping, we can always use help with getting dialogue from Platinum version. Tedious to go through several NPCs on an emulator and try to copy everything they say into a ROM. Or if you have Pokecrystal experience help is always gonna be needed with that :p

Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2016
    It's alive!
    I registered just to say that I've been following this project on and off for a long time and I'm super hype about it finally being back on the map (Although it might not progress as fast as an impatient fan wishes, it's still really rad).

Linnie

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2022
    GBC hacking is harder than GBA one...
    I'm honestly unsure of that. The hardware may be more difficult to use but the Gen 1 and 2 disassemblies make the act of hacking much simpler and easier than the GBA games. When one or more Gen 3 disassemblies are completed to the extent Gen 1/2 has been, the tide will certainly tip back over to GBA, but as far as I remember Pia Carrot switched to using the disassembly with this project, so I wouldn't view it as being more complicated than making a GBA hack.

The reason Ancient Platinum doesn't have any public progress is likely just because hacking is a very time-consuming effort regardless of what you use as a base. Pia Carrot likely has a busy life and not that much time to devote to hacking.

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • The reason Ancient Platinum doesn't have any public progress is likely just because hacking is a very time-consuming effort regardless of what you use as a base. Pia Carrot likely has a busy life and not that much time to devote to hacking.

Pretty much this. I had urgent care surgery and was in a hospital for the better part of the month. I was also living out of a car for several months this year. As of right now I'm taking on a lighter project so I can come back and deliver this masterpiece better than before.

To clarify, the crystal AP is just as developed as the gold hack was, but with map connections. I am still actively making sprites for this game, as can be seen on my deviantArt, which I have as a nice green bar in my signature. Which may I point out, I was doing alone until recently, when other hackers have started showing interest in spriting for GSC in just the last year or so.

Also Mateo/Luna is a big part of this project as well, and she is very busy with her own Red++ hack right now. Until she completes that and jumps back on Christmas 2017, likely there will be few ASM updates.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2018
    Pretty much this. I had urgent care surgery and was in a hospital for the better part of the month. I was also living out of a car for several months this year. As of right now I'm taking on a lighter project so I can come back and deliver this masterpiece better than before.

To clarify, the crystal AP is just as developed as the gold hack was, but with map connections. I am still actively making sprites for this game, as can be seen on my deviantArt, which I have as a nice green bar in my signature. Which may I point out, I was doing alone until recently, when other hackers have started showing interest in spriting for GSC in just the last year or so.

Also Mateo/Luna is a big part of this project as well, and she is very busy with her own Red++ hack right now. Until she completes that and jumps back on Christmas 2017, likely there will be few ASM updates.

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope 2017 will be a better year for you.

On a sidenote, it's awesome to hear you're still working on Ancient Platinum. It's one of the few rom hacks i'm really excited about, so i'll be sure to check out your deviantArt page!

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2020
    Good luck with this ! How different is pokecrystal disassembly from the conventional hacking though? And what language is it? Im thinking of picking gbc hacking up and are there any tutorials other than your guide piacarrot?

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • Good luck with this ! How different is pokecrystal disassembly from the conventional hacking though? And what language is it? Im thinking of picking gbc hacking up and are there any tutorials other than your guide piacarrot?

It's a mix of assembly, macros and python, and really it's so superior to conventional hacking at this point. There was so much we couldn't do on crystal before this became a thing. If you are interested I have a guide in Tools and Resources called "pokecrystal for Dummies" which has everything you need to get started on a basic game. We have a lot of resources on Skeetendo for learning as well for the more difficult things like tile hacking, scripting, etc.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2020
    It's a mix of assembly, macros and python, and really it's so superior to conventional hacking at this point. There was so much we couldn't do on crystal before this became a thing. If you are interested I have a guide in Tools and Resources called "pokecrystal for Dummies" which has everything you need to get started on a basic game. We have a lot of resources on Skeetendo for learning as well for the more difficult things like tile hacking, scripting, etc.

I'll read through your guide when i can! So i should brushup on python and asm? What about c/c++?

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • I'll read through your guide when i can! So i should brushup on python and asm? What about c/c++?

Not too necessary, once you take a look at the code itself you'll figure it out pretty easily. You'll need to know Z80 to edit certain things like UI and routines such as setting the time and so on.

Mr.Mako

Resident Edgelord Troll
    Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2023
    IS this rom hack complete ? if it is tell me because this looks great :)

If by complete you mean not being touched while Pia works on his Orange Islands hack then yeah its complete.

Back