• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pokémon Black and White - Seasons

Years
  • Yeah but I think asking what day it was... is due to confusion rather than anything else. XD; If you ask what season it is in that way, then the professor would seem sort of out of it. There must be another way to find out the season related to the early storyline...

The only other feasible way that makes sense, would be when you register your region on the GTS globe, or maybe when you connect to wifi for the first time, or get your pal pad.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    That's just normal, Ravecat. Along with not knowing the name of your only grandchild that you're the guardian of.

I'm not seeing why it would be that much of a problem to choose the season the game starts with. The day/time was asked in G/S/C without much bearing on the storyline, with the exception of the daily/time events. It could easily happen again in B/W.

Either that, or the game starts of in the same season no matter what, much like Harvest Moon, which always starts off in spring. Though Harvest Moon doesn't follow actual time, it's still another possibility. Might fit in with the storyline, like how all new trainers begin in the spring or summer, when it's easier to travel compared to wintertime.

Otherwise, real time might be screw everything up. But Lightning's suggestion of setting it according to the country would work wonderfully (so long as it happens earlier than the GTS did in D/P/Pt), matches real life more, and just works better no matter where someone is in the world. That would be what I would like to see if the professor doesn't ask.

Mirby

Big ol' nerd
    Years
  • I'm too lazy to read the entire topic, but why wouldn't it follow our real-life seasons? It worked for Animal Crossing: Wild World.
    April-June=Spring (Fall)
    July-September=Summer (Winter)
    October-December=Fall (Spring)
    January-March=Winter (Summer)

It would be weird to have it be different depending on your choices. And it could easily be determined by game region, or even a country you enter in. You have to enter the location in GTS already, so why not use that? Or even make it so simple as NORTHERN HEMISPHERE OR SOUTHERN at save file creation? And then elaborate further. Just something to clarify the seasonal differences. And of course, the DS clock and calendar would be integral here.

And time has always had a bearing on the game world (aside from R/S/E) as when it was nighttime or morning, different Pokémon would come out. Seasons could affect this, even though it might make it annoying when trying to fill up the Pokédex.

Yeah, Lightning's suggestion is probably the best...

Matt-O

The King's Shadow
    Years
  • I'm too lazy to read the entire topic, but why wouldn't it follow our real-life seasons? It worked for Animal Crossing: Wild World.
    April-June=Spring (Fall)
    July-September=Summer (Winter)
    October-December=Fall (Spring)
    January-March=Winter (Summer)

It would be weird to have it be different depending on your choices. And it could easily be determined by game region, or even a country you enter in. You have to enter the location in GTS already, so why not use that? Or even make it so simple as NORTHERN HEMISPHERE OR SOUTHERN at save file creation? And then elaborate further. Just something to clarify the seasonal differences. And of course, the DS clock and calendar would be integral here.

And time has always had a bearing on the game world (aside from R/S/E) as when it was nighttime or morning, different Pokémon would come out. Seasons could affect this, even though it might make it annoying when trying to fill up the Pokédex.

Yeah, Lightning's suggestion is probably the best...

We know for a fact that the seasons will last one month each, and therefore there are 3 pokeyears in one real life year. The debate is about whether or not we get to choose where it starts because the game will not stay in sync with the actual seasons.

I think we'll probably get to choose. As said before, Professor Oak is really bad with remembering names and genders, so who's to say whether or not he has noticed the weather outside? If Nintendo doesn't let us choose, I'd say that the game would start in the spring, since spring has kind of a beginning feeling to it.

Years
  • I wounder if the seasons will affect the length of the day/night cycle. Away from the equator the length of day varies with the season. In the summer the length of the day is very long while in winter it is very short. Also during spring and autumn the length of day and night are about equal.

Mirby

Big ol' nerd
    Years
  • I missed the part about abbreviated seasons. eh, no matter. In that case, maybe we don't get to choose, and it just starts in spring. That is the traditional beginning of the year. Heck, in ye olde times, the year started in March because of spring.

austy14

Cannibal
    Years
  • Yeah but I think asking what day it was... is due to confusion rather than anything else. XD; If you ask what season it is in that way, then the professor would seem sort of out of it. There must be another way to find out the season related to the early storyline...

Maybe she's a crack head or something.

But she could say something like "Oh, I was just wondering, what's the weather like? I can't decide what to wear." or something like that. which would kinda make sense, especially since a couple people's outfits change for the weather.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Yeah, that's really the most possible way of it happening. And the options could be "rainy, sunny, cloudy or warm"... assuming that cloudy would equal autumn.

austy14

Cannibal
    Years
  • Yeah, that's really the most possible way of it happening. And the options could be "rainy, sunny, cloudy or warm"... assuming that cloudy would equal autumn.

Being as in the game winter has snow, even if you don't, it could be snowy, hot, and something referring to spring/fall. Maybe "is it getting hotter, or colder?" and then; hotter: "Oh ok, so is it warm or really hot out?"; colder: "Oh ok, so is it cool or really cold?" Or she could up and say "what season are we going in to?" or maybe "what color is my shinjika?" (<--Or whatever the name is XD;)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    ...asking what colour her Shikijika is? D:
    Asking that makes her sound pretty stupid. XD; Besides, she has a Chiramii.

I'm going along with the type of day idea.

austy14

Cannibal
    Years
  • ...asking what colour her Shikijika is? D:
    Asking that makes her sound pretty stupid. XD; Besides, she has a Chiramii.

I'm going along with the type of day idea.

OK, maybe there's a cool intro cut scene with shinjika in it and she asks you what color they were? Yeah IDK. But I still think it would be cooler if all games had the same season cycle, make them seem more connected and like you're all part of the same world.

yellowbird

is mother teresa. hugs.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2016

Reminds me of how they made you set the clock at the beginning of RSE.
    Or in Emerald where the TV asks you what colour the Pokémon were, and what you said affected whether or not you saw Latias or Latios.

Maybe they'll do something like that? Just say "Is it snowing out? Yes/No?" And if you said no the professor would just ask another question like "Are the leaves falling off the trees?"

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Think? Actually, it's confirmed to change monthly :)

austy14

Cannibal
    Years
  • It kinda makes me think, who plans on trying to trick your game? I know I do. Like... is the cycle taken off of your DS date or automatically changes every 30 days according to the game? And the seasons, will they change on every 1st of the month or based on the day when you start? like if I started April 22 would it change May 22? or May 1?

Back