• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Cobalt [Indefinite Hiatus]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
That animation looks awesome! You could try changing adding in some colours of purple or pink though.
Thanks! I could, but I don't want to spend too much time perfecting animations because that'd only delay progress.

Okay, okay! I just loooove the moon blast! :D
Can you like keep the moon with the blast on? If you get what I mean.. XD
I actually tried doing that, but all of my attempts resulted in the move glitching, unfortunately. If I do get it to work, though, then I'll use that alternative instead.

I don't know if anybody said this already but:

As I was playing the Beta, I used a repel to get through Coral forest. My Repel was still in use but as I was in the grass, A Pokemon came out it was: ????????? with a circle and a question mark inside of it as the Pokemon. I did not catch it so I don't know if it could harm you game. And if you know Pokemon cries, you were able to tell which Pokemon was which. A cry I heard was a Hypno's cry. These ????????? were also ranged from Level 1 to Level 4.
If you're playing a hack with Coral Forest in it, you're playing a VERY outdated beta.

Celibifan

Official Keyblade weider
Years
Thanks! I could, but I don't want to spend too much time perfecting animations because that'd only delay progress.

I actually tried doing that, but all of my attempts resulted in the move glitching, unfortunately. If I do get it to work, though, then I'll use that alternative instead.

If you're playing a hack with Coral Forest in it, you're playing a VERY outdated beta.

Okay. But, when I tried downlaoding the newer Beta, for some reason, the link said that the file is missing.
2zi5t9s.png

Last edited:

~Shy

Excuse my grammar I'm Filipino
Years
Link is wok just fine for me
I'm liking what I see so far but damn that entrance fee is so damn expensive o.O
That Moonblast ♥

Years
Okay. But, when I tried downlaoding the newer Beta, for some reason, the link said that the file is missing.

Click these words to download.

(anyway, there are some game-breaking bugs in this beta that I haven't fixed because I am on the verge of releasing 1.4, so if I were you I'd just wait)

Animations are coming along:

YG2G0H6.gif

(obviously, a level 5 Torchic is just a placeholder)

Last edited:

Celibifan

Official Keyblade weider
Years
Yay! I got it to download, and i know somebody complained about it.

When i met the rival, he was invisible. It sill had his script running properly. Also when you start you font get a chance to course your gender..

Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2020
The animations are pretty, but they feel rather long, especially the Moonblast one. If you could have the beam at the same time as the moon appearing and disappearing, that would help. Then again, I might be a bit biased. While playing through RSE normally, I got super frustrated with the extra long (I felt) Surf animation.

Years
Yay! I got it to download, and i know somebody complained about it.

When i met the rival, he was invisible. It sill had his script running properly. Also when you start you font get a chance to course your gender..
Thanks, but I'm not going to support this beta any more as I'm about to (well, it may not be very close but it is coming) release 1.4 which will have quite a few changes and all of these bugfixes.

Wow :o, I'll surely try this
Thanks!

The animations are pretty, but they feel rather long, especially the Moonblast one. If you could have the beam at the same time as the moon appearing and disappearing, that would help. Then again, I might be a bit biased. While playing through RSE normally, I got super frustrated with the extra long (I felt) Surf animation.
I agree that the Moonblast animation is too long, and, in fact, I have tried to do exactly what you described as you can see in this post http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=8002321#8002321

However, when it is like that, it freezes and the animation doesn't end, so for now I'm going to keep the animation you see until I manage to get the faster one working. It doesn't matter anyway as most emulators have a speed-up option anyway

Years
Beautiful as always! <3 More new attack animation please? :D

Thanks. Unless I get bored, Beta 1.4 should have all of the new moves' animations implemented.

I've been doing a lot of replaying of the hack, and in the meantime I've been making the order of the region more concise, rearranged and edited some events, remapped a large chunk of Felith, and also edited some palettes.

rHfOfOI.png

The new remapped Crimsonburg City.

0QVa3FQ.png

The new Lilac Hills, previously Indigo Hills - instead of a nonsensical body of water, it's the beginning of the Gold Plains.

BoLxs8P.png
ThfxHw2.png

Gold Caves have been remapped, and now live up to their name with this palette swap.

XLy1DiX.png

Incidentally, the Aura Hideout has had a palette swap so it looks less... corporate. The location of this hideout has also changed.

YJ8SN4r.png

The Friend Phone is also a new feature that will allow events to be slightly more realistic (basically a lazy way to tell you where to go next in some cases)

T2PoHq1.png
z1Ma5Zu.png

An example of a reordered event, the "capture" of Raikou now takes place in Lilac City.

6j9aVBH.png

Finally, this is what Felith looks like now.

Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2020
The maps all look gorgeous, although there are a few things that I feel might make the maps and the game shine even more.

• In Crimsonburg City, the bottoms of the cliffs aren't consistent.
  • In Lilac Hills, it'd be really cool if you could palette swap the flowers to a more, well, lilac color, as right now the blue hue makes it seem like the previous name of Indigo Hills might have been more appropriate.
  • In Gold Caves I particularly like the colors you chose, but something about the corner tiles and to some extent the edge tiles that bothers me for some reason. I don't know if it's that the tiles look too square to me or that the outline looks to thick in some places, but it just feels off.
  • I'm not too sure why it's named the Friend Phone, which sounds kinda stupid to me unless I've missed something in game that gives explanation to it.
  • The cities in the map don't feel very well defined, like they don't stand out and aren't consistent. I'm assuming the red parts are cities, although really it could apply to any of them. I would give all of the cities an evident border all the way around, maybe some shading if the palette allows. Speaking of which, the island looks sort of pillow shaded. It makes some sense if the edges are supposed to be like cliffs, but it could definitely be worked on a little. Also, the upper right corner of the desert area near the upright brown/grey/black dark section seems too rectangular.

Some of this my just be my nitpicky spriter self, but I think it would make everything feel more polished.

Years
The maps all look gorgeous, although there are a few things that I feel might make the maps and the game shine even more.
Thanks!

In Crimsonburg City, the bottoms of the cliffs aren't consistent.
I'm not sure what you mean, the cliffs looks fine to me, however you did bring to my attention the incorrect tree shading. Could you elaborate?

In Lilac Hills, it'd be really cool if you could palette swap the flowers to a more, well, lilac color, as right now the blue hue makes it seem like the previous name of Indigo Hills might have been more appropriate.
The blue flower is the default colour, and I don't even think there's room on that tileset for an extra palette for the flowers. The one in the screenshot is pretty much the only one in that map anyway, so I don't think it's a big issue.

In Gold Caves I particularly like the colors you chose, but something about the corner tiles and to some extent the edge tiles that bothers me for some reason. I don't know if it's that the tiles look too square to me or that the outline looks to thick in some places, but it just feels off.
I agree, the colour is a bit too harsh on the edges.
I'm not too sure why it's named the Friend Phone, which sounds kinda stupid to me unless I've missed something in game that gives explanation to it.
Yeah, it is a stupid name, to be honest it's the first name I came up with. It's probably going to change.
The cities in the map don't feel very well defined, like they don't stand out and aren't consistent. I'm assuming the red parts are cities, although really it could apply to any of them. I would give all of the cities an evident border all the way around, maybe some shading if the palette allows.
I see what you're saying and I actually considered that when making the map, but it is a lot clearer when you have control of the cursor. I might remake it, but, again, it's not really a major issue in my opinion.
Speaking of which, the island looks sort of pillow shaded. It makes some sense if the edges are supposed to be like cliffs, but it could definitely be worked on a little.
I agree.
Also, the upper right corner of the desert area near the upright brown/grey/black dark section seems too rectangular.
I agree here too.

Thanks for that, I'll make changes where appropriate.

Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2020
It's not a very big deal. Behind the building, the bottom of the cliff is sort of wavy and has an evident border, while behind the trees it cuts off and is flat.

Years
g0ILRm9.png

Newest palette for Gold Plains

CrbtcZN.png

New house tile by Mateo.

I've also been doing a lot of smaller map edits, script polishing and general reshuffling of loads of stuff (such as the map banks (click here for a tutorial on this)). I've also compiled a list of stuff I need to do before 1.4 can be released, which you can see if you want an idea of how long it will take.

I'll be striking through items from the list on the front page as I finish them, and adding items that I realise need to be done as I notice them.

Last edited:

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
Thanks. Unless I get bored, Beta 1.4 should have all of the new moves' animations implemented.

I've been doing a lot of replaying of the hack, and in the meantime I've been making the order of the region more concise, rearranged and edited some events, remapped a large chunk of Felith, and also edited some palettes.

rHfOfOI.png

The new remapped Crimsonburg City.

0QVa3FQ.png

The new Lilac Hills, previously Indigo Hills - instead of a nonsensical body of water, it's the beginning of the Gold Plains.

BoLxs8P.png
ThfxHw2.png

Gold Caves have been remapped, and now live up to their name with this palette swap.

XLy1DiX.png

Incidentally, the Aura Hideout has had a palette swap so it looks less... corporate. The location of this hideout has also changed.

YJ8SN4r.png

The Friend Phone is also a new feature that will allow events to be slightly more realistic (basically a lazy way to tell you where to go next in some cases)

T2PoHq1.png
z1Ma5Zu.png

An example of a reordered event, the "capture" of Raikou now takes place in Lilac City.

6j9aVBH.png

Finally, this is what Felith looks like now.

Okay, the screenies are great. Mostly the map, I love it :)
But here, the player should be looking on the grunt.
XLy1DiX.png

I love the tiles on the dessert place and the new palette for le gold cave plains. Keep it up! ^^

Years
I like the Gold Cave! Sometimes a simple palette edit can add a refreshing great touch.
Thanks!

Okay, the screenies are great. Mostly the map, I love it :)
But here, the player should be looking on the grunt.
XLy1DiX.png

I love the tiles on the dessert place and the new palette for le gold cave plains. Keep it up! ^^
Thanks! That's a good point, and I have considered implementing that one ASM that makes that happen, I just haven't got around to it.

Anyway, I've made a few logistical decisions regarding how the game will pan out. Originally, the story would take a detour into the Hoenn region midway through, but I have changed my mind, and now Hoenn will be strictly post-E4 with a subplot that hasn't really been decided on yet (I'm thinking either Team Aura fugitives or a sort of neo-Team Magma/Aqua sort of thing).

I've also remapped Teal Village - it is now a lot larger, looks better, and has a gym (what was previously the gym of Slateport City - Garnet's Ground-type gym). As a result of the Hoenn decision, Shadow Trial Houses will now be found in Felith (the first of which being in the new Teal Village).

sZVF5yU.png
uPI3bmS.png
4yob5DI.png

I've also been steadily working through the to-do list I posted earlier. Things are coming together, slowly but surely!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back