• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon CosmicEmerald Version [Updated! 12/24/2019]

Years
    Kyogre is actually holding a Liechi Berry, though if you missed it or want more you can get the Berry Glitch Fix Shiny Zigzagoon in R/S, which is holding the berry. The Zigzagoon (and probably bunches of other unique copies of it) is in a save file on Project Pokémon, which is also packed with other very rare Event Pokémon. You can use that file to trade it over to your game if you have a link-compatible emulator (like mGBA) or another flashcart. Google for "Gen3 legit event Pokemon" to find it.

You get to Mew by getting the Old Sea Map, for which you'll need to obtain 180 Pokémon (Nationally), though it sounds like you've already gotten there from your above post. In this case, you just have to chase Mew around and try to have it be a single tile away from you so you can interact with it.

Darn, thought I'd found a workaround for that glitch. Though it was even worse before, where it would crash the game as soon as a battle started with any Magikarp, even if it was in a Trainer's lineup. I'll have to figure out why it's still crashing at all, hopefully this doesn't affect other Pokémon whose movesets have been updated. Thank you for letting me know about this problem!

all this time I've been trying to get a liechi berry by getting to mirage island and kyogre is literally holding it, well thanks for telling me

Also no problem! Happy to help :)

When I inspected mew it said that "Mew flew away" and after that nothing happened and I couldn't catch it

Years
    all this time I've been trying to get a liechi berry by getting to mirage island and kyogre is literally holding it, well thanks for telling me

Also no problem! Happy to help :)

When I inspected mew it said that "Mew flew away" and after that nothing happened and I couldn't catch it

That Mew glitch is very weird, I haven't heard of it until you mentioned it. It actually seems like it may be a "flag setting" complication with the save file. Was your save file transferred over from the original version of Emerald by chance (or a different hack)?

As for the berries, in place of the Liechi Berry there is now a different one on Mirage Island. I decided to make each berry's location match what its tag description says, I should probably paste this into the guide now that I think of it but here it is (locations are in spoilers, in case anyone wanted to solve them from scratch):

Liechi Berry: A mysterious Berry. It is rumored to contain the power of the sea.
    Spoiler:

Ganlon Berry: A mysterious Berry. It is rumored to contain the power of the land.
    Spoiler:

Salac Berry: A mysterious Berry. It is rumored to contain the power of the sky.
    Spoiler:

Petaya Berry: This Berry is surrounded by mystery. It is rumored to be imbued with the power of all living things.
    Spoiler:

Apicot Berry: A very mystifying Berry. No telling what may happen or how it can be used.
    Spoiler:

Lansat Berry: Said to be a legendary Berry. Holding it supposedly brings joy.
    Spoiler:

Starf Berry: So strong, it was abandoned at the world's edge. Considered a mirage.
    Spoiler:

Enigma Berry: A completely enigmatic Berry. Appears to have the power of stars.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    That Mew glitch is very weird, I haven't heard of it until you mentioned it. It actually seems like it may be a "flag setting" complication with the save file. Was your save file transferred over from the original version of Emerald by chance (or a different hack)?

As for the berries, in place of the Liechi Berry there is now a different one on Mirage Island. I decided to make each berry's location match what its tag description says, I should probably paste this into the guide now that I think of it but here it is (locations are in spoilers, in case anyone wanted to solve them from scratch):

Liechi Berry: A mysterious Berry. It is rumored to contain the power of the sea.
    Spoiler:

Ganlon Berry: A mysterious Berry. It is rumored to contain the power of the land.
    Spoiler:

Salac Berry: A mysterious Berry. It is rumored to contain the power of the sky.
    Spoiler:

Petaya Berry: This Berry is surrounded by mystery. It is rumored to be imbued with the power of all living things.
    Spoiler:

Apicot Berry: A very mystifying Berry. No telling what may happen or how it can be used.
    Spoiler:

Lansat Berry: Said to be a legendary Berry. Holding it supposedly brings joy.
    Spoiler:

Starf Berry: So strong, it was abandoned at the world's edge. Considered a mirage.
    Spoiler:

Enigma Berry: A completely enigmatic Berry. Appears to have the power of stars.
    Spoiler:

No I haven't transferred this save from a regular emerald or a rom hack but I did update my older cosmic emerald save to a newer one so is that what caused mew to leave.

also on a sign on faraway island it says ber 6 can you give me a hint as to what month it's talking about?

Thanks!

Years
    No I haven't transferred this save from a regular emerald or a rom hack but I did update my older cosmic emerald save to a newer one so is that what caused mew to leave.

also on a sign on faraway island it says ber 6 can you give me a hint as to what month it's talking about?

Thanks!

I think the save you had before was during the time I had a slightly different script for Mew, I don't remember changing any of the flags associated with it but that's my best guess as to what is going on with it. If you'd like to send me your save, I could try to fix it for you but you should probably send it as a private message so it doesn't get stolen by others.

The sign on Faraway Island was already there in the original Emerald, with the same message. I don't know what month it was referring to unfortunately.

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2021
    Are custom graphics and music that you added optional options in game? I haven't seen/heard any of them but on principle I would prefer having the ability to keep the original game aspects from a purist standpoint so I can decide if I prefer the new ones, especially because graphics and music are the most subjective features of new additions. I'm very glad you made the infinite pokeball feature optional.

Do you have more information on the feature about increased difficulty and how that was implemented?

Otherwise, good job on the physical special split and most recent releases! That was THE most valuable feature for Emerald to have and will make the battle frontier really fun to spend a lot of time in post game.

Years
    Are custom graphics and music that you added optional options in game? I haven't seen/heard any of them but on principle I would prefer having the ability to keep the original game aspects from a purist standpoint so I can decide if I prefer the new ones, especially because graphics and music are the most subjective features of new additions. I'm very glad you made the infinite pokeball feature optional.

Do you have more information on the feature about increased difficulty and how that was implemented?

Otherwise, good job on the physical special split and most recent releases! That was THE most valuable feature for Emerald to have and will make the battle frontier really fun to spend a lot of time in post game.

Thanks for the compliment!

Sure, I'll make and add a patch that can turn all the music back to normal and vice versa. It will probably take a little while since I'll be busy with other things today, but I'll upload it here in this message as well as put it in the main download when it's done. I don't know about a patch for the graphics though, it would depend on what elements of the graphics. I did however make one that disables the color changing of day/night/etc.

The increased difficulty feature is basically most of the big storyline trainers (like Gym Leaders, Team Leaders, Elite 4, etc.) having teams with higher levels and some surprise attacks that weren't in their original movesets. I think I also increased the EVs of some of those Pokémon too.

Years
    How do I get to Naval rock? And where do I take this gs ball?

Thanks!

For Navel Rock, you have to capture/faint Raikou, Entei and Suicune and then talk to the person who delivers the Tickets.

For the GS Ball:
    Spoiler:

Also I'm fixing your save file at the moment, I'll be sending it back shortly.

Last edited:
    Years
    (quote for notification purposes)
    Hey Winst, I've now made a patch for setting the music back to the original, though I'm not sure if this covers all the songs you wanted to be reverted.

What it does is disable the day/night music switching (which includes the change in Gym/Bike themes and others), and turns Route 111's music back to normal. If there were any I missed that you wanted changed back to normal, tell me and I'll see what I can do about it.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/fa1rhzld17mclbz/CE_NightDayExtraMusic_On-Off.zip/file

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2021
    Hello SkyVortex,

first of all, thank you for this amazing hack <3

Second, I want to suggest adding a small feature that I think should has been in the game. When you play in the Battle Frontier, the pokemons you see there should be added to your pokedex as 'seen' pokemons.

And sorry for the bad English :$

Years
    Hello SkyVortex,

first of all, thank you for this amazing hack <3

Second, I want to suggest adding a small feature that I think should has been in the game. When you play in the Battle Frontier, the pokemons you see there should be added to your pokedex as 'seen' pokemons.

And sorry for the bad English :$

Now that you mention it, that is something I'd really like to do. The problem is, that I really don't know how to do that at the moment. I've even tried making it so that the Bird Trio is added to the Dex before you encounter them (easier tracking), but apparently the code/routine for this feature is only available in FireRed and LeafGreen (though I it could technically be ported over). Still though, the way the Battle Frontier functions, at least when it comes to internal code, is something that will take some time for me to figure out. I think it's handled by a lot of assembly-based routines that would require knowledge of ASM to mess with, something out of scripting reach (and beyond my ability right now).

Also don't worry; your English is actually pretty decent in your post, considering how bad it can get with those who only speak English.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2021
    Finally opened up my schedule to start playing this.
    Just going through the notes you have first.

-The link you have for the custom wallpaper generator seems a bit out of date. This link works a lot better for me.
    htt ps:// ww w.pokewik i.de/Spezial:Geheimcode-Generator?uselang=en
    -Even though you have it in the main readme, put
    http s://fusoy a.eludevisibilit y.o rg/lips/ in the links folder for more visibility since it's so important for being able to use the patch
    -The evolution mechanisms for clamperl is a bit disappointing to the significance of its unique items. Why not make it instead of happiness levels at 28, simply evolve based on holding the deepseatooth or deepseascale at level 28 or higher?
    -Not all of the add-on patches you have have readmes, and not all of them say what the default value is. It would be good to have this so it's clear what add-ons are default if you only patch with the main cosmic emerald ips

Note: I had to add spaces in the bolded links in order to post them

Last edited:
    Years
    Finally opened up my schedule to start playing this.
    Just going through the notes you have first.

-The link you have for the custom wallpaper generator seems a bit out of date. This link works a lot better for me.
    htt ps:// ww w.pokewik i.de/Spezial:Geheimcode-Generator?uselang=en
    -Even though you have it in the main readme, put
    http s://fusoy a.eludevisibilit y.o rg/lips/ in the links folder for more visibility since it's so important for being able to use the patch
    -The evolution mechanisms for clamperl is a bit disappointing to the significance of its unique items. Why not make it instead of happiness levels at 28, simply evolve based on holding the deepseatooth or deepseascale at level 28 or higher?
    -Not all of the add-on patches you have have readmes, and not all of them say what the default value is. It would be good to have this so it's clear what add-ons are default if you only patch with the main cosmic emerald ips

Note: I had to add spaces in the bolded links in order to post them

Thank you Winst, I'll update the links in the readme with the ones you provided (without the spaces of course) the next time I make some changes to the game.

Yeah I ended up making the Clamperl evolutions work the same as Wurmple's, though for the longest time I was trying to find a way to make it as you suggested (hold-item + level) since I prefer the latter method. In all the resources I'd found, I remember there were many different variations to choose from: stuff like 'evolve while holding item during the day' or 'evolve while on specific map' but nothing in terms of item+level. If anyone here knows about any tutorial, ASM code or some other way I can implement this feature that I missed, can you point me in the right direction? The last time I had searched for any information on this possibility I came up with nothing besides all those other evolution methods.

I left readmes out of a couple of the patches since it seemed to me that the titles themselves would suffice in describing them, such as in the "Other Patches" folder. Though I do agree with your point about the ambiguity of the default settings; the Phys/Spec Split patch, for example would be better off having a note about which one is the default. On the next update I'll go ahead and refine those things and make them more clear.

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2021
    I found the scanner that shows EVs and IVs, utterly brilliant addition that every pokemon game should have.

I've been keeping a list of ideas for Cosmic Emerald:
    -be able to fly to your secret base location (or teleport to it easily from somewhere familiar)
    -all custom music tracks part of a single .ipi patch, not just some, just make it another add-on patch?
    -pay in game for an expanded bag, I've been having to use my PC to store a lot of items because my bag is constantly full
    -increase the likelihood of tv events somehow
    -[BUG?]you can still get multiple tms through buying and prizes, also you can sell the TMs you have (which is really bad if you can only get a TM once per game), should it be made impossible to buy and sell TMs if you have one copy of it already?

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
    Years
    • Seen May 23, 2024
    Question about the graphic changes: do they darken the palettes any? Has anyone tried CosmicEmerald with color correction or an original unlit GBA screen?

I'm sure that this is a bit of an odd one, but I'm planning to play this on real hardware at some point in the future and was wondering about this point.

Years
    I found the scanner that shows EVs and IVs, utterly brilliant addition that every pokemon game should have.

I've been keeping a list of ideas for Cosmic Emerald:
    -be able to fly to your secret base location (or teleport to it easily from somewhere familiar)
    -all custom music tracks part of a single .ipi patch, not just some, just make it another add-on patch?
    -pay in game for an expanded bag, I've been having to use my PC to store a lot of items because my bag is constantly full
    -increase the likelihood of tv events somehow
    -[BUG?]you can still get multiple tms through buying and prizes, also you can sell the TMs you have (which is really bad if you can only get a TM once per game), should it be made impossible to buy and sell TMs if you have one copy of it already?
    Yeah I just love that EV/IV Scanner, it was all thanks to jiangzhengwenjzw that I was able to add it to the game.

I'd actually like to have the 'fly to Secret Bases' thing too, though there are severl factors that make it a huge pain to try, such as there being multiple Bases on some Routes (this alone makes it a bit of a no-go). It's still not off the table though, I'd probably have to make it so only some Bases have that feature.

About the music patch, I may go ahead and make one for that; which should be easier now anyway considering the last one I made that changes most of them back.

The expanded Bag sounds great, I assume I'd just have to figure out where the ROM offset for that number is located. Though, increasing that number may actually make saves non-compatible with the original game. This would be due to the save file having to store additional bag slot data, which the original would probably glitch out from. Guess it would have to be another optional patch, though I'd have to warn people about the possible effects. If I do this I'd rather make it so the additional slots are immediately available unless scripting it is do-able.

The TV events function with scripts/data I have no knowledge of, but apparently they work depending on the current date. That's all I really know about it but since you mention it I'll look around for info on it.

Yeah good point about the TMs problem, the way I'll fix this would likely be to create more overworld pickups for them and replace the original shop entries with something else. It would definitely be easier than changing the way the shops function though, since I have no clue how to change how the shops react to Bag items.

Question about the graphic changes: do they darken the palettes any? Has anyone tried CosmicEmerald with color correction or an original unlit GBA screen?

I'm sure that this is a bit of an odd one, but I'm planning to play this on real hardware at some point in the future and was wondering about this point.

I did make several changes to the color palettes, though I do think they probably have less contrast than the originals (not counting the contrast between grass and footpaths, etc). I'm not sure how it would look on a GBA, as I've only ever played this ROM hack on emulators. The emulator "mGBA" probably shows it the most accurately to the original hardware, but again there might still be discrepancies depending on what monitor/screen you are using. Plus mGBA seems to run into conflicts with the hack's day/night system, which is another problem in itself.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2022
    Hey I noticed a weird quirk with the color customization patches where in the opening it will use the last primary color patched in no matter which character it was for. For example, I got Brendan patched with a blue primary and yellow secondary and May with a pink primary and yellow secondary. However, when May shows up in the opening it shows her primary colors being blue instead of pink but it doesn't seem to affect it anywhere so far. This also extends to the bag as I noticed for a short while that I had a pink bag despite it being set to blue. It's not a huge deal but I figure you might want to know about it if you didn't already. On the bright side, it showed me that May really rocks a yellow palette.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
    Hey, I do have a small doubt. Do the teams of the trainers and gym leaders flow according to the principle of the Physical and special split? Like a hariyama having thunder punch causing Physical damage? Thank you!

Years
    Hey I noticed a weird quirk with the color customization patches where in the opening it will use the last primary color patched in no matter which character it was for. For example, I got Brendan patched with a blue primary and yellow secondary and May with a pink primary and yellow secondary. However, when May shows up in the opening it shows her primary colors being blue instead of pink but it doesn't seem to affect it anywhere so far. This also extends to the bag as I noticed for a short while that I had a pink bag despite it being set to blue. It's not a huge deal but I figure you might want to know about it if you didn't already. On the bright side, it showed me that May really rocks a yellow palette.

Yeah, I just now tested it and there is definitely something weird going on there. You're right that the resulting Bag color in the inventory seems to depend on which primary color patch was used last. I think the only way to fix it is to somehow make it so that seperate palettes are used for the conflicting colors. I don't know if this can be done by changing address pointers or whether ASM is needed so I can't promise that it will be fixed anytime soon. For now, I'd say apply the color customizations for the Rival first (primary color specifically) and then for the main character.

Thanks for the info on this problem!

Hey, I do have a small doubt. Do the teams of the trainers and gym leaders flow according to the principle of the Physical and special split? Like a hariyama having thunder punch causing Physical damage? Thank you!

Unfortunately no, I have to admit I didn't consider that when making the patch. I'll have to remember to make some changes to it next time I update the game.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2020

Whenever I do checks for these things in PSS gen 3 games, I am surprised by how well it works out on its own (admittedly it's more noticeable on Firered). For example, let's look at Elite Four Sidney's Pokemon. He has a Mightyena, whose moves include crunch and double-edge. From the looks of it, that's a physical attacker- but you may forget that in gen 3, ALL dark moves were special. Mightyena has 90 attack to 60 special attack. With the PSS, it makes better use of crunch, an overall buff. Cacturne has both 115 attack and 115 special attack, so I would call this one pretty lucky. Its moves include needle arm and faint attack, both of which are physical. In gen 3, both of them were special. So an overall net zero. He has a Crawdaunt that knows Surf but also Swords Dance. With or without the PSS, that doesn't synergize well.

In terms of game balance, I would say the addition of the PSS is about equal overall, with small improvements to some pokemon that lacked a strong stab move that worked with their attack stats (dark types, ghost types - all ghost moves were physical. Now think of Gengar with a physical Shadow Ball back then). One can look at Dragon Dance, which boosted attack and speed, but all dragon moves were special in gen 3.

The gym leaders, elite four, and trainers are full of Pokemon that have stat boosting moves and no STAB to go with it, but that was a limitation of gen 3 unrelated to any PSS patch. If this is what you mean, buffing those moves, then yes you can go into the game files and change Crawdaunt's Surf to Waterfall, among other things, but that would make it "stronger"- if you're that much of a balance purist. I assume not, since the balance in this game and perhaps all Pokemon games were such that a literal 10 year old could beat it. Personally I change those kinds of moves in my own games and buff and nerf moves slightly based off of Gens IV to VI (Outrage, Thrash, and Petal Dance only have 90 attack power in gen 3 but 120 by gen 6. Fury cutter has like 10 power in gen 3, but 40 in gen 6. These are the kinds of changes I agree with.)

But like I said, Firered benefits much better from it. Agatha has tons of ghost pokemon with high special attack and PHYSICAL shadow ball. You can get a Hitmonchan that learns ice punch, thunderpunch, and firepunch, (all previously special moves that became physical) etc.

My final point is that for anyone who has doubts about the PSS split in gen 3: it's an overall improvement.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUT, I have a separate issue. The RTC doesn't work on 3DS injection (hardware), and I'm wondering if anyone has the solution to that. If it's noon where I am it's around midnight in the game. Quite annoying.

Back