• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon CrystalDust [v3 PUBLIC ALPHA]

Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2015
    Hey,

Just a quick question... Where/how can I get myself a Mareep in the game? I can't seem to find one in any of the usual places for Johto and I've seen that it is possible to get all of the pokemon in this hack. Any help would be appreciated greatly.

You can't get Mareep as it was unobtainable in Crystal without trading.

Diego
    i am unable to use the beta two ips file i downloaded from here
    I am currently using a pre patched gba rom of crystal dust i found on some site
    the game is great but i want to get updated to latest beta
    Lunar IPS says the file is not supported (or) its not an ips file.

thnx for this awesome hack
    SUperb work <<waiting for the final version :D

Dunno if helps but I patched mine with Unipatcher in Android and it works fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
    Years
  • *comes on PC* All right, let's see here. Replying to CrystalDust comments... How many are-
    *sees three pages* *blinks*
    *cracks knuckles*
    @Diegoisawesome do you know what causes the white screen bug? the game works fine on VBA, but I really want to play it in my phone using gpsphone.. there are no options to change the save type to 128k, but other emerald hacks and emerald itself saves as 128k... don't know why the game still shows white screen...
    It's possible that you have an existing 64KB save file and it doesn't want to overwrite it with a new 128KB file; I've had that happen before with VBA on PC. Alternatively, it claims to save a 128KB file but doesn't really, and all your Emerald ROMs are patched around it anyway (CD can't be) so you haven't noticed.
    Nice game.
    I played the first beta I think.
    I played the game out.
    I did the Elite 4 for like 5 times.
    I cant do anything now.. :( :)
    Sorry, that's where the current beta ends.
    @Diego

About that ??? in credits i dont know all the pokemon i got are normal and i never used any cheat

As for my suggestion on a key item that makes pokemon to evolve i think it would make those evolutions more official and we could get pokemon like alakazam at low lvls without the need to lvl up that much
    Or atleast make evolutions as they were before with real trading I think the way I have it now is as official as I can get it without somehow having decent linkability between emulators.

And for the npc that knows if im the champ i meant will any npc after the vanilla story is over say in his dialogue that im the champion or i will be the only one who knows im the champ lol It'll stay the same as in every other game.
    As for pokedex i guess the only event you can make is get the diploma you obtain like in crystal What?

I found new bugs btw xD

1. Pink Apricorn doesnt dissapear from my pocket after i give one to Kurt

2. Politoed still holds kings rock after i used a rare candy to evolve from poliwhirl

3. At Battle Tower on a multi battle i get this in the 3rd and 4th opponents
    Pokémon CrystalDust [v3 PUBLIC ALPHA]

Also there are 2 more bugs at battle tower a biker guys OW got a sprite of a kimono girl
    And the women that you follow in the elevator with nurce costumes dont have walking animations

There must be no reason to post this now but heres 1 more spot where the reflection bug happens just incase

As for qwilfish and remoraid i give up on them each site i visit gives different info
    I still gave it a last shot but i think this image is proof on how bad the hunt did go

Hey atleast i got a shiny magikarp! LOL

I will fix all of these for the next update.

Since a new release is coming i got no more reason to play now since i always start a new save every time :D
    Responses in bold.
    Hey, one question:
    Is National Dex obtained at any point in the game so that I could trade with Emerald for Hoenn pokemon?
    I guess I could just play it and see, but the point is, I want to play it if trading with Emerald is possible. ^^
    No, you can't get the National Dex in Beta 2.
    Well now I know why you don't break tradition. I got excited enough to eat my hand when I saw that you posted. But I suppose I can wait for that moment again aha. Anyhow, thanks for replying. Can't wait for a new update now! Not that I could wait before.........but still!
    Heh, I bet this same situation is going to happen all over again now.
    I tried trading with FireRed and normal Emerald, both of which have national dexes and in FireRed trades with RSE are allowed already. Here are the results:

Emerald: A trade could be started, but when a Hoenn Pokemon was offered a message popped out saying that this Pokemon can't be traded.
    FireRed: A trade couldn't be started at all, with the message on CrystalDust side that I can't trade with trainers far away.

At which point in the game can players trade with FR/LG/E without limits? :)

I have to say, though, that this is my favorite 3rd gen GSC remake. It stays true to the originals, unlike ShinyGold and LiquidCrystal which, in my opinion, implemented too many changes. Not to mention I actually didn't like the fact you could catch all or almost all Pokemon in them (I know, I'm probably a weird exception). I was looking for a game that would still encourage you to trade with others, as I like playing with my friends (that's also the reason I want to be able to trade with E/FR/LG so badly).
    Oh, yes, and a Battle Tower is another plus. :) Frankly, even the current lack of Kanto region (I know it will be added in later releases) doesn't bother me much, because it's Johto that's most important in this game. If I want to play Kanto, I can always grab FR/LG after all. :D

Edit: Oh, and out of curiosity - have requirements for obtaining stars on your trainer card been changed from Emerald? Because if not, then I guess the only challenges that can be accomplished are "completing the Hoenn dex" (assuming Hoenn has been switched to Johto) and "Hall of Fame".
    Thanks for your comment!
    Well, or I might attempt to make a temporary fix for myself while waiting for a new beta to be released. ^^
    I don't know what exactly causes the national dex gameshark cheat (and national dex at the start option in Randomizer) to fail, though.
    If it's only due to the fact that the order of pokemon in regional Pokedex has been changed, then it would be easy to do (by reverting the numeration changes and using a randomizer on the game to get a player a national dex at the start). I don't know if that would work, however, plus I'm not sure Diego would have no objections. :(

While I am at it, I could actually also add Lugia and Ho-Oh, because from what I've read, they're still not implemented? It looks like something easy enough to do - after all, the events are already in-game, one just needs to copy them from Naval Rock maps to their respective Johto locations.

But as I said, I don't want to modify Diego's game without his permission. :p
    I'm not sure myself as to why the cheat would fail, but I do know that cheats and my extensively-hacked games never seem to like each other very much. The "National Dex at Start" thing doesn't work as it probably changes an Emerald script, and I don't use those.
    I am really sure that the bug appeared after I recorded a battle in the multi room of the battle tower. Now I can activate every script again like the rival appears at the olivine gym or the level script in elms lab or the ill miltank. The only reason could be that the values of your 5000 variables are stored in the same space of the battle frontier record. I was wondering why you need extra variables when there are so many 4000 variables. I know it because I also hack emerald. You have done very cool hacking stuff, asm i.e. but I expect more of you because I know you can do it better. Keep on working.

All in all the variable reset destroyed my save file.

At all other guys:

Don't record a battle in the battle tower!!! Really? I recorded a few battles and nothing happened. Maybe it had to be a particularly long battle or something.

There are some other points I want to tell you:

- The Overworld of the red Gyarados looks awful. It even has not a frame for side calling.
    Please fix that. I would, but I fell out of contact with my graphics guy...

- The GSC music is my favourite so I am even more upset that the music in your hack is sometimes not good remixed. The worsest I think is the wild Johto Pokémon theme. I hope you find better remixes. Ooh, harsh. tonti actually made the wild Pokémon theme, which I rather liked, but to each his own. I do agree that there are many bad tracks, but those are the ones that clonex25 made years ago and that I don't have replacements for.

- At Cherrygrove City pokécenter, on the right side are these small trees. That look bad. I know there is only one tile left but please change it. That also appers at pokécenter at union cave. I don't have any choice but to have those small trees or change the map layout.
    Responses in bold.
    Hello! I think you should change the title screen music because that's not the way it is in the original Crystal. Just saying....
    Don't worry, I will, soon.
    Goo hack and i have heared about your scripting skills bro, good way to bring the Second gen Crystal into gen 3 with pokemon Emerald!
    Thanks!
    Hi, I just wanna know something, are you going to put the GS Ball/Celebi event on the hack or something like it? It's because I hate the original American Crystal doesn't have it, it's one of the best parts.

Anyway, great job indeed, I am waiting for the next releases ^^
    In fact, I am! Kind of, my own way.
    Thanks for the responses Diego, I haven't found any unique bugs yet tho. But I have more suggestions.

Such like the battle tower, maybe in addition to the glitches, you can also incorporate the names of the trainers that were originally in it. See HERE for complete list of names of trainers to add/change to the emerald tower roster that's available in crystal dust; the link also includes some dialogue that you may want to add on your later revisions. And the dialogue for some trainers in multi say they are battle girls, maybe you can rescript that to let them say crush girl? assuming your hack follows FR/LG with some crystal additions of course. Also some new trainer additions like the standard SEVII lady, crush girl, could be included once again in the Sevii side quest. :)
    The Battle Tower is barely in as it is, with few modifications to get it at least looking pretty. I'm going to do a major overhaul sometime in the future, probably expanding the Tower to the entire Frontier too.
    Hey, I just made it through the Pkm League and now after one issue with RTC which solved itself somehow, I spawn in Violet City instead of New Bark Town. Is that intended?

I'm using gPSPhone btw and your hack is pretty awesome :)
    I'll have to look into this "warping + gPSPhone" glitch everyone seems to have.
    So I've tried a handful of hacks and I must say, that it is quite refreshing to play a hack that doesn't feel like it was thrown together by juvenile amateurs Lol! Question for you though, I have tried several cheats from Emerald on here and they all thus far seem to work except one big one. Infinite money. I'm playing on a gba emulator on my android and have tried Code Breaker as well as Game Shark and neither seems to work. Any ideas friends?

~Celtic~Trainer~
    Thanks for the praise!
    I don't know what you could do for the cheat, as I've so extensively modded the game that most of them were bound to break.
    Great Hack!!!
    I play the more recent version, and I impresed for the ASM works, the intro is very good, is the more good remake of pokemon crystal, I only wait for the final version, or just the beta 3 (take your time, a good hack can't be maked in a few days)
    You should play Beta 2 right now as I don't have any clue when Beta 3 will come out.
    One of the best Hacks I've played. i love it because it keeps faithful to the original which is exactly what i was waiting for. i was wondering if we're going to have to start a new game when the third beta comes out?

Also, if you're taking request please restrict the game to the first 250! Thanks!
    Thank you!
    And I won't be restricting the entire game to the first 250, only Kanto and Johto. Sevii is fair game.
    This is great. Easily one of my most favorite hacks. Despite all the cool things in this, one of the features that seems to get me the most is the working lights at night.. I just love that. How was that achieved? I've tried getting working lights on normal Emerald before but it's never worked. >_< Anyway, great mod man. Eagerly awaiting the 3rd beta.
    Thanks!
    The lights took an entire rewrite of the DN system, which I can't release to the public right now because of its sheer complexity.
    Hehe you got 2 graphical awards for the first page xD

Congrats for best scripting and mapping award
    Thanks!
    This is a beautiful hack, I appreciate all your time and hard work. A lot of attention to detail is required and I bet it must be exhausting. To translate an already awesome game into an even better atmosphere, enhanced gameplay, graphics, music, beautiful design... It just hits me right in the childhood, in the right way. Being able to play it on my ipod on my free time at work or before falling asleep... Just awesome, thank you. You deserve to win some more awards; when it is finished I'm sure it will be a classic hack with no match. Never stop doing it as long as you enjoy it :)
    Thank you for your comment!
    Still waiting on being able to get to Kanto after the league. Finally got around to finishing it and really want to be able to get over to Kanto and cause some trouble over there.
    Sorry, you're going to have to wait a while more.
    hi,

whenever i beat the elite 4 and start the game, i dont end in my room in new bark town. what happens is i get stuck to the trade corner of a pokemon center.
    That might be related to the "gPSPhone warp bug" from earlier. I really do need to look into that.
    What should i do after elite four?
    Start over and replay it with a challenge? Grind? Beat the elite four 27 times and ask Elm for a Mew? I don't know what you want to do, but you can't access Kanto quite yet.
    Hi, I'm new here. I just have a really important question I am unable to find the answer and thus create an account to ask.

First off, I'd like to express my high approval of your excellent work. This Crystaldust, is my favourite hack ever (mostly because the machanics are just so balanced, the player in other hacks seems to be a real underdog and it's just hard to train).

Now, I am at the Violet City and explored a bit of the Ruins of ALPH. From what I understand, there's something called a UnounDex in the old Gold and Silver and something like a Unoun Report in the remakes (I know it by reading the Wikis). But I don't seem to be able to find anything like that in my game. Would it be too much to ask if the author could explain if it is a change of design, or an overlooked issue?

Edit: I think I've just found a glitch, I'm not sure if anyone has posted. After beating the Violet City's Gym, the guy who guards the next route gives you a Miracle Seed. The description of the seed says it boosts ROCK-types instead of the usualy GLASS-type.
    Thanks for commenting!
    Sorry, I don't have the Unown Report in.
    Noted the glitched description and will fix.
    I don't know if this has been raised, it's a bit too long to read everything within this thread.

In Crystal, you don't get to catch several pokémons:
    (I can't post links, please look up in Bulbapedia this:
    Pok%C3%A9mon_Crystal_Version#Pok.C3.A9mon_not_found_in_Crystal)

And I think most people who plays with an emulator don't get to trade Pokémons. Would it be fine to enable these Pokémons somehow in a, I don't know, maybe the Safari zone? These Pokémon will be made available some way or another; perhaps even in a Safari Zone somewhere.

Besides, I notice that the author owns a wiki. I am not sure if it is a feasible idea to include FINAL stuff in the Wiki, such as: what events follow the original Crystal and what follow the Heartgold or Shinysilver, what learnset each Pokémon follow (just tell us which game to look up) and things that are hard to guess. I'll put that information up sometime probably, but I don't know when.

I love this hack and I am wishing it to get as good as it can. Thank you!

Edit: By the way, if you think you are interested in some new music in a Classical orchestrated style, you can find me, although it has to be waited until my schedules are relieving a bit later. And, I am assuming the music supported would be something like a MIDI? I only work with music-scores but not mixing. So if MIDI's are supported, I think I will be able to help. Sorry, that style doesn't seem like it would fit within Pokémon.
    Responses in bold.
    Hey, I got this hack like a month ago, not knowing it was still just a beta (I suppose I should've guessed as much when seeing the message at the beginning though) I have been playing it very casually just for my own enjoyment, then I decided to google it and for the past 2 days I've been reading about the production of this game on here. I'd just like to say I really enjoy this game so far, I wanted to build up a team of Pokemon I had never used before, and right now it's Feraligatr (this is the one exception as I always use Feraligatr), Beedrill, Onix, Weepinbell, Xatu, and Togepi. The only major problems I've found in this beta are the lack of stones (I'd really like to evolve my Weepinbell) and then the fact that the Pokegear is not fully functional (as calling a certain trainer is one of the ways to get the stones) I love this hack, keep up the good work
    Thank you!
    I was looking for a GBA hack for a friend that loves G/S/C (she doesn't have a DS/3DS, only a prehistoric computer and a somewhat decent phone), found this hack and loved it! I love the whole attention to detail and the spirit of keeping it as close as the original as possible. I got entertained myself, just beat the first gym. Keep up the good work!
    Thanks!
    Im having this issue, i have just defeated clair and have all badges except hers, when i go into the cave and reach the whirlpool i keep getting the message that whirlpool cant be used until a new badge is obtained?
    Are you sure you got Pryce's badge?
    I just found this yesterday and read the first 40 pages of this thread before I decided to play the hack I just wanna point out that on route 29 and some of the steps in cherrygrove city don't have footprints when you walk in the sand but the rest of cherrygrove does.

Edit: I've played a couple hacks but usually quit due to the fact that the work most other people put into their hacks isn't up to the quality I'd require to put much time into it or they become annoying due to bugs or engine constraints but I can safely say you are a GOD and deserve all the praise I can heap on you and I'm gonna play this hack till I finish it and then sit here patiently waiting for the next release. Thank you for reminding me of my youth in such a beautiful way.

P.S. I use gpsp-j which plays this hack perfectly on my psp so far, if I encounter a bug I'll make sure I check it on my pc and my psp before I mention it here.
    Wow, thank you!
    And I know about the sand; I used to have more logical ending points for the footprints but people were annoyed, so I changed it to start suddenly in the middle of Cherrygrove.
    pretty good hack man ! keep up!
    Thanks!
    I wonder what is the amazing update that diegoisawesome is making for this hack
    Beta 3?
    Or maybe a phone or radio for pokegear
    Or day and night pokemon :D

day and night pokemon are the most things I want:)

Complete Kanto experience, hopefully *crosses fingers*
    All in good time, my friends.

Website Update - 5/3/2014

This isn't exactly a CrystalDust update, per se, but my website has been completely renovated with a new modern look! Check it out at https://o15.com today! I might be starting to blog every so often about CrystalDust's development, so it may be of interest to some to start checking that.

Might be disappointing for some after not having posted for so long, but I'm doing all I can to balance my life out right now; CrystalDust has to come after that.

Years
  • Love this game, since the techniques of Crystal have a lot of them. Emerald (you know, Pokemon move when you send them out) and FireRed (Graphics). Great job! So far, no glitches found, and I beat the first two gym leaders, with only a Quilava. Again, good job with the game.

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
    Years
  • Seeing that there has been some inactivity ITT, and wanted to change that because this is a top-tier remake hack! I've been fiddling around with the features of this game, testing cheats, trade compatibility and all the fun stuff of a vanilla game.

I WAS able to trade once successfully between Emerald and CrystalDust, one Johto Regional Dex Pokemon for another. However, I have yet to trade a second time due to compatibility issues. The games states that there is a "link error" in the final stages before going into the Trade Corner and I cannot trade between these two.

I also tried FireRed, but I got the "We cannot trade with faraway places yet" message. I understand that trading is not fully functional yet, but there are changes within the game that render the Pokemon impossible to trade with other regions (ie: keeping all natures the same), so it should not be impossible to get this fixed.

I was a huge fan of L&Z's Liquid Crystal, but I was dissatisfied with the heightened difficulty which is not present in this game. I like how truer this hack is to its originals and how nearly nothing has been changed with the Pokemon themselves (ROM hackers love changing base stats and typing!).

It is unimportant to me when these inconveniences are finally fixed; just know that I fully support your continuance with this hefty project. Thanks, Gucci.

PS: was trying to transfer my Scyther to Emerald for a Metal Coat to evolve it to Scizor because I dislike having to figure out things ;)

redshredr

CHild of God
    Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2015
    I found a glitch when using Dig in Victory Road and returning to Indigo Plateau where you stand on the entrance tile instead of in front of it. It's not a big deal, just thought you would want to know. Thanks.

Minato Riku

My Japanese Sweetheart
    Years
  • Hello diegoisawesome ammmmmmmmmmmmmmazing hack game it almost same in original game but in GBA remake....I have some suggestion about your next beta(final beta release *Hopefully*):

1. If Sevii Islands has been finished would you be additional 8 GYM LEADERS in different place like did in Johto and Kanto...
    2.If Final Battle against RED in "Mt. Silver" can you be additional 2nd Final Battle After Beat RED, I mean If you beat RED in Mt. Silver another strong Trainer than RED will appreared but this time in
    Sevii Islands where Moltres place.It also requires beat 8 GYM LEADERS in Sevii Islands to Face a 2nd Final Battle....

As I said its my suggestion......Anyway keep it up your good work and I hope the next beta *Probably Final Beta Release* will be finished......we will wait :pink_wink::pink_boogie:

redshredr

CHild of God
    Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2015
    Just beat champ but cant find SS ticket. Talked to prof elm cant find prof oak ( though i think hes in pallet town). Can anyone help?

Years
  • I just started the hack, so i don't know much, i know this isn't a big deal, but looks like we FINALLY have a game with no potion in the PC! Well...of the games i know, the only other game i know that does that is pokemon glazed beta 6, good hack BTW. I have a good feeling about this hack. :)

Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2015
    I just finished beating the E4 yesterday :)
    My team (all lvl 50) was: Typhlosion, Espeon, Pidgeot, Lanturn, Machamp and Dragonair (too lazy to train it to Dragonite).
    I love this hack and I hope you can continue it! (but no rush, quality takes time)

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2014
    So im trying to get the thunderstone so I talked lass dana and registered numbers but she has never called me. When I go to my phone card there is a little message next to her name but I cant open the message. On the phonecard info it says shes on route 39 but I know shes on 38. When I go to her she just talks about milk. Any help?

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
    Years
  • So im trying to get the thunderstone so I talked lass dana and registered numbers but she has never called me. When I go to my phone card there is a little message next to her name but I cant open the message. On the phonecard info it says shes on route 39 but I know shes on 38. When I go to her she just talks about milk. Any help?

The intended purpose of Lass Dana is to call you and give you a Thunderstone when she finds one. Be that as it may, this game has not finished the call features that are in the original GSC, making evolutionary items even harder than they were in the originals. Since this is an Emerald-based hack, the Pokegear functions as the Match Call on the PokeNav from Emerald, rather than just a regular Pokegear.

For this reason, you may not get that Thunderstone you wanted, and this is only because that part of the game has not been perfected. If worse comes to worse and you absolutely need the TStone, you should hack it in (using Emerald's cheats of course). It might be some bug that has kept you from reading the message though. I hope this all gets fixed :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2021
    Been away for quite a long. Just coming back to tell you that we are supporting you, I know there isn't much activity here but I'm sure there are thousands of expectant players that love your work, so I hope you manage to balance your activities and necessities, mental and physical health are the most important, and I'm sure you have your own unrelated to Pokemon projects. Keep up the great work, every little update is appreciated, even if its just written updates about your experiences, any kind of sharing from you is enough to be understanding and patient. Have a nice day!

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2014
    ok,the hack is awesome and thank you for making it,i am right now training to go and beat the elite four,i just want to know is trading possible (from crystal dust to saphirre and ruby) and how do you trade using vba ((a noob here :D )) thank you....

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    I'mtrying to link two games of this hack on the emulator myboy,
    but every time I try to, the screen turns black and I get a communication
    error. I can link 2 normal Pokemon games just done but not 2 Crystal
    Dust hacks, I wonder why??

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
    Years
  • I'mtrying to link two games of this hack on the emulator myboy,
    but every time I try to, the screen turns black and I get a communication
    error. I can link 2 normal Pokemon games just done but not 2 Crystal
    Dust hacks, I wonder why??

I made a post about this (and I use the same emulator). It appears that trading on CrystalDust does not work. I got it to work once, but never after that. I guess you should wait until the creator of the hack somehow fixes it.

Back